Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Liked a lot of the moves he made at the deadline? He made only one move - acquiring O'Reilly and Acciari. Acciari's okay, O'Reilly was good, but this still was just one move.

Yes, lost Murray early in the season. Murray, who has had massive injury trouble for years. Could it have been predicted that he might be injury prone? Surfely not.

He made six moves at the deadline lol:

ROR + Acciari deal
Lafferty + Mccabe Deal
Schenn Deal
Moved out Engvall for a 3rd
Sandin for a 1st and Gustafsson
Hunt for Zahorna

As a leafs fan, I thought he did everything he could to make this team a contender. Sad to see him go.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
I don’t get why people are so polarized with Dubas. Seems to be two camps that either think he’s a genius or those who think he’s the worst GM in the league. To me he seems fairly average with his share of blunders(Tavares, RfA negotiations) and successes

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Lou might be dead before that horrendous contract he gave Horvat ends. let that sink in.

Overpaying a 2nd C > not having a goalie

Lou built the foundation and Kyle could not get anything done with it. All Kyle had to do is built around Marner Matthews Andersen.

He blew his cap on Tavares, went with Campbell soft D ect ect. This year deals were a bit better and the team advanced so there's that.

Reactions: InAG-P

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Wishing Kyle the best, likeable guy I think he had a great season as a GM. This years failure is on the players not him. Time for a new chapter in Leaf land.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Hope the leafs replace him internally with Pridham or grab Tulsky.

It would be a nightmare if they brought in a guy like Wilson/Chiarelli/Bergevin/Chayka

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
It's very rare to see someone accomplish so little while raking in so much public acclaim.

Whichever team this guy goes to will probably see about the same results as the Leafs while he embarrasses himself by picking fights with opposing fans in the home team's club section.

Huge W for the Leafs today, IMO. Pains me to see it.

I agree. Dubas never had any understanding of the intangible that make up a winning hockey culture. Even his OHL Greyhounds haven't won a single championship. Even his talent evaluation skills are highly overrated. Remember, the bulk of the Leafs' talent gold mine was INHERITED by Dubas. If anything, he depleted it. The Kadri trade alone overshadows any "good" transaction people give him credit for.

Evergreen

I personally think Dubas is a great GM. Sure he made mistakes, particularly in terms of overpaying in some signings, but he was very young and a new GM then, with Lou having just left. I think he’s learned from those mistakes and is a better GM now than he was when he made some of those mistakes. I thought his deadline moves this year were actually terrific. He was let down by some of his star players not performing.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Tavares was good for toronto until only recently, people seem to forget that
That's not the point though. Tavares has been good, I don't think anyone would argue that. The issue always has been, and still is that it was an awful allocation of 11 million dollars.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Nope. The noise recently is that the Leafs' decision makers wanted him back but he's pushed back saying he needs time and space to think about it.

They might have not wanted to risk waiting. And either chose to proceed this way or were told if they need an answer now, it's no.

Too much is unknown to make bold assumptions. But you can certainly have reason to think Dubas' choice might be driving this.
I don’t think it’s exactly a bold assumption to take the Leafs at their word. A lot of the noise is emanating from Dubas’ comments but since then no one really considered that the Leafs themselves might not want to keep a GM who didn’t make a ton of progress towards the only goal that matters in five years. Regardless of what you think of Dubas it’s a results driven business and fairly understandable.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Unless it was wrongly reported but I am sure I heard that Dubas did not want to go work for another team. And that is décision was based on is family experience of him being the gm of the leafs.

I dont get the whole hes going to go win somewhere else.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don’t think it’s exactly a bold assumption to take the Leafs at their word. A lot of the noise is emanating from Dubas’ comments but since then no one really considered that the Leafs themselves might not want to keep a GM who didn’t make a ton of progress towards the only goal that matters in five years. Regardless of what you think of Dubas it’s a results driven business and fairly understandable.
Are you really taking them at their word by characterizing it this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad