Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Given his age, Kyle Dubas was a solid GM, and I think he still has room for growth. His acceptance of analytics is something that the league is trending towards anyway, with the difference being that you have to be aware enough to see where the product deviates from the expected path that the data is showing you. And I think that's Dubas's main limitation as a GM. I'm interested to see where he bounces back to, and how he uses the Leafs experiences to better himself as a GM. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a Cup one day.

I would hope that the people crapping on Kyle for certain moves, also crap on Lamoriello for similar boneheaded moves (losing Connor Brown because you overpaid for Zaitsev, signing Patrick Marleau to a high AAV contract when he was cooked)

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think he did a good job. I didn't really understand why they signed Tavares or traded Kadri but other then that he did pretty good. Has the core played good enough to win in the playoffs though and is the core good enough or does it have the right players to win in the playoffs? That might be the question. Maybe his weakness is not knowing how to build the right type of core that can win in the playoffs.

InAG-P

Jun 19, 2003
T.O.
Visit site
People sitting here shitting on Dubas...as a Habs fan I find one particular thing hilarious. I fundamentally think Dubas had no clue how to build a playoff winning team. He finally figured it out this deadline when he went out and got ROR, Acciari, Mccabe and Lafferty. He's leaving just as I think he's finally learned to build a winner. The irony is that his core is still filled with folks that can't find the next gear. Interesting times ahead

Edit: spelling

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Dubas was not the problem, he literally did everything possible to put a winning team in Toronto.

He built a great organization, losing him is a massive blow, no matter how they spin this.

This firing is 100% because of the players underdelivering
It’s true. He mixed and matched so many different pieces around those top 4 losers, mixing and matching like a giant puzzle pieces. He tried so many different things around those 4, and no matter what he tried, they always failed to produce to their standards and abilities when games matter.

Reactions: InAG-P

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
im-free-andy-dufresne.gif

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He tripled down on his core group of players and they unfortunately never rewarded him for his faith. Ultimately, it is on his players—not him.

Also, the fact several of those players brutalized him during negotiations didn’t help

Reactions: RogerRoger

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He was good, improved a lot of his tenure

But he created a culture of complacency that needed to be changed. The concern is does MLSE f*** this up and get a worse GM (very possible)? The hope is we can snag Tulsky

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Is that confirmed? They could have pulled the offer since he wasn't able to handle Toronto's pressure which wouldn't have been lower next year.
It's semantics, but it sounds to me like they gave him the opportunity to sign a contract, and then took it off the table when he said he needed time because they don't have the luxury of time.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Look at the vultures who ripped on him for years now flock to this thread salivating that their team signs him.

The reaction would be the same with Keefe, Marner, Nylander, etc.

I would love for dubas to be brought in as an AGM to run analytics and focus on non-player personel. As GM no.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Are you really taking them at their word by characterizing it this way?
I’m not really characterizing it with that, I’m just offering an explanation for why they might do this, because people seem dumbfounded. I’m also skeptical of the idea that they really wanted him back but also just couldn’t wait on him to make a decision when their season ended a week ago, but that has nothing to do with their statement, just basic logic.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I guess Leafs wanted a GM that was committed asap, not a guy who may or may not drag this thing on. The draft is coming soon and we need to be prepared.

Imagine if they waited 4-5 weeks and then Dubas says yeah guys i'm not coming back, we'd be screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad