Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Dubas was not the problem, he literally did everything possible to put a winning team in Toronto.

He built a great organization, losing him is a massive blow, no matter how they spin this.

This firing is 100% because of the players underdelivering

Of course.

But GMs/coaches (Keefe is likely to get canned by the end GM, they always wanna bring in their own guy) always get the shaft when a team doesn't succeed.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Look at the vultures who ripped on him for years now flock to this thread salivating that their team signs him.

The reaction would be the same with Keefe, Marner, Nylander, etc.
Dubas, Keefe and Marner merit doubt. And I say that as a glass-half full supporter of Dubas and a pre-draft advocate of Marner (My signature read: "Make Mine Marner").

However, Nylander would prove the point though. He's a starting point of retention moving forward. Love his game.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Taking an approach that no one else sees coming.

Now, that's definitely not a bad take, especially in the NHL where they like to recycle failures, but the guy they chose was too obvious in his approach and didn't seem to willing to deviate from his plan despite obvious flaws.
This is still not really saying anything. Can you explain what "taking an approach that no one else sees coming" entails?

What moves were trying to be "the smartest person in the room" or "no else saw coming"? What is this approach's organizational strategy, in concrete terms?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s a firing. The Leafs in their statement didn’t even go the “mutually part ways” thing some teams do in situations like this, they’re just not bringing him back.
Nope. The noise recently is that the Leafs' decision makers wanted him back but he's pushed back saying he needs time and space to think about it.

They might have not wanted to risk waiting. And either chose to proceed this way or were told if they need an answer now, it's no.

Too much is unknown to make bold assumptions. But you can certainly have reason to think Dubas' choice might be driving this.

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
tinyurl.com
Worst GM in NHL history
dubas-kyle.gif

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Fletcher and Quinn?! LMAO

holy shit those perennial losers were so bad that Jeff Finger and Carlo Colaiacovo became household names for all the wrong reasons.
What's the difference between Fletcher's Leafs, Quinn's Leafs and Dubas' Leafs in terms of playoffs success? Specifically, where did each team exit?

Reactions: InAG-P

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Wow, he probably screwed up with the Tavares signing and subsequent having to give higher salaries to their younger players but he did not do a bad job, some puck luck they could have had much more success the last few years, definitely did not think he would leave the Leafs, now I think there is a maybe a 25% chance Matthews leaves when before I thought it was like 5%

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Toronto bringing in someone actually qualified for the position could really turn things around. Sad day for those of us who enjoy seeing the Leafs choke.
Yes maybe in another 20 years they can get out of round 1 again for a few minutes

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Lou?

Yeah. All Kyle had to do is keep Andersen.
What positives did Lou do for Toronto?
- outrageous contract for Marleau
- traded away Carter Verhaeghe in a package for Grabner
- terrible extension for Zaitsev
- Bad contract to Matt Martin
- Poor deadline acquisitions (Boyle & Plekanec)
- Poor drafting outside the 1st round.

His only good moves were the Kadri & Rielly extensions. He routinely overpaid for bottom 6 players in the form of trades & contracts.

He was a great GM back in the day, but his best days were behind him when he started at Toronto.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Wow, he probably screwed up with the Tavares signing and subsequent having to give higher salaries to their younger players but he did not do a bad job, some puck luck they could have had much more success the last few years, definitely did not think he would leave the Leafs, now I think there is a maybe a 25% chance Matthews leaves when before I thought it was like 5%
25%? It's 50/50

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
What positives did Lou do for Toronto?
- outrageous contract for Marleau
- traded away Carter Verhaeghe in a package for Grabner
- terrible extension for Zaitsev
- Bad contract to Matt Martin
- Poor deadline acquisitions (Boyle & Plekanec)
- Poor drafting outside the 1st round.

His only good moves were the Kadri & Rielly extensions. He routinely overpaid for bottom 6 players in the form of trades & contracts.

He was a great GM back in the day, but his best days were behind him when he started at Toronto.

As much as people shit on Dubas. he had to fix Lou and Hunter's mistakes essentially on the fly.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Wasn’t amazing but wasn’t terrible. Did well managing a Toronto team that was heavily pressed against the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad