Confirmed with Link: Kuzmenko signed to 2 year contract extension ($5.5M AAV x 2 years)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the fans screaming trade Kuzmenko probably think teams are lining up with huge packages to offer because he has a cheap contract. They also don't consider any of these factors:

1) Kuz has only played 47 games in the NHL
2) Kuz has no NHL playoff experience
3) Kuz has the luxury of playing alongside Petey
4) Kuz has the luxury of playing on PP1

Kuzmenko was never going to return a big package like some people were dreaming about. It's nice to dream I guess...

People are also looking at guys like Hagel and Goodrow as 'cheap contract = massive value!' when most of the value with those guys came from the fact that they were under contract for multiple years at a bargain basement price.

Most teams can find ways to fit most rental players under the cap.

Huhu

Nov 28, 2021
We're just going to roll with the same group I guess, hope he can play center.

Reactions: Gurn

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The extension doesn't kick in until next year. This is completely irrelevant unless they don't do anything till next year.

It's obvious one of Boeser/Garland is on the move, if not both.

They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of moving out money. Time for them to get shit done.

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
People are also looking at guys like Hagel and Goodrow as 'cheap contract = massive value!' when most of the value with those guys came from the fact that they were under contract for multiple years at a bargain basement price.

Why do you hate magic beans so much, they're MAGIC for crying out loud

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'm not in favour of a tear-down rebuild so I like keeping Kuzmenko. But I still have the feeling Allvin is counting on the cap going up a lot in the next two years so they can extend Petey next year and Kuzmenko the year after. Horvat's a goner and I won't be mad.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
In isolation it's good term and money for us and he's a fun guy to watch. Loves playing, loves to score and his attitude is infectious. Home run to land him and get him signed.

I don't think we got a discount. If the rumours are true that trade offers for him at this point were just a 2nd + prospect, then that's a signal to him that competitive teams wouldn't have even given him this deal even if it's a bad evaluation on their part because he's easily worth this.

I also doubt longer term was available. If he was willing to sign to longer term then it would have been a no brainer to test free agency.

The bigger picture of this team is still a complete mess.
  • Everyone is saying that this signals that we're losing Horvat who is essential to any plan of competing within this contract
  • We need a huge volume of transactions including dumping large contracts in order to get to where we're playing meaningful games within this contract, and teams know they have us over a barrel in these dumps
  • It sets Kuzmenko up to want the "Miller special" and cash in on an 7-8 year deal when he's 29 turning 30 which we should absolutely not do
So it's a good contract but it sets up a bad next contract and there are gargantuan hurdles to overcome in order to compete within this contract rendering it meaningless. It'll be fun to put the blinders on and watch/cheer for him but I would rather have held out for a 2023 1st at the deadline and committed to a reload, which JR has flatly stated will not happen.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
What's wrong with saying to him and Milstein - "listen we really like you and we want to sign you in the offseason - this season is a write off, how about you go play on a contender maybe even win a Cup and we'll talk in the summer?" I guess maybe the season is long enough for Kuzmenko but still, it's worth a shot to help the team out in the long run.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I really wish we could get away from this idea that unless the team is a powerhouse cup contender, it should be picking 1OA.
We really should trade this magic bean of a 1st rounder we have. Some idiot GM might give us a RD of some sort for it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Even though I think this is a great deal for the Canucks, it's not lost on me how funny it is the Canucks have devoted even more $ into wingers without moving any $ out yet.
I think that's my biggest opportunity cost worry.

I was hesitant about the Kings 2nd offer for Garland at last TDL according to Shah. In hindsight, and I think I would argue in foresight with the knowledge that we were not privy to from their negotiations, they probably should have just taken that offer.

However, if they were always planning on re-signing JT and signing Mikheyev, and they were struggling with traction on moving any salary out... they probably should not have signed Mikheyev.

I would generally say this signing decreases leverage in moving salary out...

but then again, what leverage do we have? i don't see how it could get lower, lol. everyone knows we want to move salary off our wings. i don't think the value of boeser/garland/pearson can get any lower. But it's still problematic regardless to have this much salary allocated to the wings.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
What's wrong with saying to him and Milstein - "listen we really like you and we want to sign you in the offseason - this season is a write off, how about you go play on a contender maybe even win a Cup and we'll talk in the summer?" I guess maybe the season is long enough for Kuzmenko but still, it's worth a shot to help the team out in the long run.
Because that’s not reality

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Because this just isn't how things work, except in very exceptional circumstances.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I think that's my biggest opportunity cost worry.

I was hesitant about the Kings 2nd offer for Garland at last TDL according to Shah. However, if they were always planning on re-signing JT and signing Mikheyev, and they were struggling with traction on moving any salary out... they probably should not have signed Mikheyev.

I would generally say this signing decreases leverage in moving salary out...

but then again, what leverage do we have? i don't see how it could get lower, lol. everyone knows we want to move salary off our wings. i don't think the value of boeser/garland/pearson can get any lower. But it's still problematic regardless to have this much salary allocated to the wings.

the cap table is ridiculously ugly for next season with this signing. nearly 79mil committed with no 2c, no 3c, only 1-2 top 4 d and boeser, garland, mikheyev, kuzmenko, pearson and miller making ~33mil

some team is gonna make them pay big to move myers and they're going to end up buying out boeser

Reactions: Peen

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

These are also guys who playoff teams covet because they can literally air-drop them anywhere in a lineup and help the team. Hagel and Coleman can both play on your shut-down line in the playoffs and kill penalties.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

ok this part is odd

i understand why the agent demanded it but i don't understand why we caved to that. setting bad precedent if a player with that little tenure is getting one.

Reactions: Gurn

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I cant say I am surprised.

Only thing surprising me about al this that our former best poster is so on board with this lunacy...

Its really hilarious. Benning was supposed to be the drafting GM and what do they do? Trade their picks.

Now we have trader Jim and we tank the value of all our positive trade assets.

ok this part is odd

i understand why the agent demanded it but i don't understand why we caved to that. setting bad precedent if a player with that little tenure is getting one.

He isn't going anywhere.

That contract is 2 years. The window they are trying to create to contend is roughly 2 years.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
ok this part is odd

Because that's what it takes for a dogshit team (probably any team, honestly) to retain a pending UFA ~PPGish player on pace for 30 someodd goals.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We'll see if his value is higher down the road or not.

That is pretty much the make or break on this deal.

I would bet on it, personally.

I don't think his value league wide is as high as some of you think, and I think the agent knows that as well which is why we see this deal now despite all his money bag tweets.
Millstein knows a bridge deal will set Kuzmenko up to maximize his earnings. That's why they did it.

I would not bank on his trade value increasing. If his scoring regresses with a decline in personal and/or on-ice shooting, obviously he'll be worth less. If he maintains his pace, he'll be a 1st line scoring winger with $5.5M cap hit and a 12 team NTC. Contending teams will have to plan to fit him in.

Today, he is a 1st line scoring winger with a 900k cap hit and no trade restrictions. Any contender can add him with no issues.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I cant say I am surprised.

Only thing surprising me about al this that our former best poster is so on board with this lunacy...

Its really hilarious. Benning was supposed to be the drafting GM and what do they do? Trade their picks.

Now we have trader Jim and we tank the value of all our positive trade assets.

Nothing I'm saying is the slightest bit different than anything I was saying for the last 3-4 years of Benning.

People seem to think I was some sort of OMG WE NEED PICK SURPLUS guy when I've spent literally the last decade saying basically the opposite.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad