Confirmed with Link: Kuzmenko signed to 2 year contract extension ($5.5M AAV x 2 years)

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Anyone who thinks Kuzmenko will have more value in two years as a pending UFA with a 12-team NTC is drinking some kool-aid.
A player who is PPG over 200 games is worth more than a player who is PPG over 40 games. The teams who would be vying for him in a trade will be in the upper half not the bottom half of the league. And who knows, Kuzmenko probably could have gotten 2M or more than what he just took from us as a UFA this summer, he could really love Vancouver and sign a sweetheart deal to keep playing with Pettersson.

If we're going to compete the cap issue has to be solved and totally restructured. We need to get back to having players buy in and taking discounts to help the team be competitive, and it starts with guys like Kuzmenko shaving off the top, and not with guys like Bo cashing out.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I want the team to be in a situation where winning games gets the closer to a Stanley cup.

That has been too much to ask for the past 8 years. I think it will be another 5-6 before that is the case.

the best you can hope for is an extensive retool where we move multiple top players. but if that happens you can expect high risk age gap players coming back and we'd have to move at least one of the big 3. so many of our big salaries are not going anywhere or, if they do, are not fetching surebet retool assets.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
A player who is PPG over 200 games is worth more than a player who is PPG over 40 games. The teams who would be vying for him in a trade will be in the upper half not the bottom half of the league. And who knows, Kuzmenko probably could have gotten 2M or more than what he just took from us as a UFA this summer, he could really love Vancouver and sign a sweetheart deal to keep playing with Pettersson.

If we're going to compete the cap issue has to be solved and totally restructured. We need to get back to having players buy in and taking discounts to help the team be competitive, and it starts with guys like Kuzmenko shaving off the top, and not with guys like Bo cashing out.

Cap hit matters, the quantum of his extension will matter, and the NTC will matter. Performance entirely aside. Right now you'd have been trading him entirely unencumbered for a total cap hit of ~$12M over 2.5 years.

Reactions: credulous

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of moving out money. Time for them to get shit done.

They've been here one calendar year.

You act like they've been here for four years.

The amount of hate this management gets compared to the leash Jim Benning and co got is truly laughable. I got trashed on by "fans" for saying JB was a bad GM 1-2 seasons in.

But somehow JR and co are "terrible" after one calendar year in a flat cap world.

Reactions: rypper

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
the best you can hope for is an extensive retool where we move multiple top players. but if that happens you can expect high risk age gap players coming back and we'd have to move at least one of the big 3. so many of our big salaries are not going anywhere or, if they do, are not fetching surebet retool assets.

That's what we have now. That's literally how this team is built

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Great deal.
ok this part is odd

i understand why the agent demanded it but i don't understand why we caved to that. setting bad precedent if a player with that little tenure is getting one.

Really don’t mind it here. This is how NTCs should be given to non core players. Getting some trade protection in exchange for signing a team friendly deal.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
What's wrong with saying to him and Milstein - "listen we really like you and we want to sign you in the offseason - this season is a write off, how about you go play on a contender maybe even win a Cup and we'll talk in the summer?" I guess maybe the season is long enough for Kuzmenko but still, it's worth a shot to help the team out in the long run.
This isn't Playstation.

You rarely ever see this happen.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I love the idea of being worried about losing guys as the team spends a decade out of the playoffs.
mandalorian-this-is-the-way.gif

Reactions: bossram

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I respect you a ton.

This team needs a tear down rebuild. Every other step is a step away from contending for the cup.

Im guessing you dont care. You are happy with making the playoffs for a bit. There is NO WAY you think this attempt to trade a paper clip up for a house -strategy is the right way forward. I refuse to believe you think this will lead to a contention window.
I wanted a full on rebuild as well, but its just not in the cards with these guys...now I just hope for the next best thing...things that at least make SOME sense. I think this is one of those moves...I look at it like this...

-No clue what his actual value in a trade would be...people say 1st round pick! But I'm not so sure there are any legit teams looking to give up a first for a rental winger with a paper thin resume...there are other options out there that provide more experience.
-Not locked in too long mitigates long term risk.
-No NMC and only 12 teams he won't go to means he is moveable at any point.
-He gives Petey someone to play with and hopefully keep him motivated to stay.
-He seems like a good guy to have in the dressing room.
-If he plays well and puts up the good numbers it only adds to his value as an asset for the team.

I think the only potential downside of this deal is if there were actually significant offers on the table that were poo-poo'ed...but I still think those might be able to be recouped down the road.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No team in our position has ever done a tear down rebuild.

Posters like you have set up this expectation that simply isn't grounded in reality and then are getting furiously upset when ownership - predictably - isn't jumping on board with dumping a pretty good young core to lose tens of millions of dollars sucking for another 6-8 years.

What the Drance crowd is demanding simply isn't going to happen. Here, or anywhere that was in our position. This is real life with real people and real dollars. If HFBoards or Twitter were running NHL teams, like 25 out of 32 teams would be trying to lose every game for Bedard. That isn't how the world actually works.
Even by Rutherford's own stated timeline, this young core will not be young by the time he thinks they can contend. Then what? You've got a middle-aged roster that's accomplished nothing, and you'll need to re-up them at UFA market prices.

If we're living in reality, the clock's already run out on this core.

Reactions: Gurn

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

The amount of hate this management gets compared to the leash Jim Benning and co got is truly laughable. I got trashed on by "fans" for saying JB was a bad GM 1-2 seasons in.

But somehow JR and co are "terrible" after one calendar year in a flat cap world.

They aren't terrible yet, but the path they are taking is the same path as the last decade.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
The more I think about this the better it is. I mean its possible to run back the same team minus Horvat next year and possibly make the playoffs and anything can happen.

/s

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Cap hit matters, the quantum of his extension will matter, and the NTC will matter. Performance entirely aside. Right now you'd have been trading him entirely unencumbered for a total cap hit of ~$12M over 2.5 years.
I also just don't think that two more seasons of Kuzmenko is worth losing for this team for a mid 2nd round pick, which is just about all we'd get for him right now. Another Kole Lind? I'd rather watch him score 100 goals for us and then take off. He's a special player. His chemistry with Pettersson is special. He's a good character player. If you can keep him on your team you do so.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Even by Rutherford's own stated timeline, this young core will not be young by the time he thinks they can contend. Then what? You've got a middle-aged roster that's accomplished nothing, and you'll need to re-up them at UFA market prices.

If we're living in reality, the clock's already run out on this core.

I mean they literally have to trade Horvat who was the first piece of the core. Now OEL is core, Myers is core, Boeser is core

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I also just don't think that two more seasons of Kuzmenko is worth losing for this team for a mid 2nd round pick, which is just about all we'd get for him right now. Another Kole Lind? I'd rather watch him score 100 goals for us and then take off. He's a special player. His chemistry with Pettersson is special. He's a good character player. If you can keep him on your team you do so.

BS you'd get a mid-2nd for him.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
This isn’t a bad deal for the Canucks, certainly not one to be upset with or complain about. Re-sign Miller and Boeser are bad deals, this isn’t at all. Pettersson and Kuz have great chemistry and this could also help retain Pettersson long term. I was ok with either trading Kuz or signing him to a deal like this.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I'm not going to waste time arguing with you, but don't put words in my mouth. I bashed previous management as much as anyone.

I have never said the new guys were terrible - they have had a stated goal to move out money and they haven't done it. Time to do it. They have admitted themselves they have failed at this so far so there's no need for you to defend them on this issue.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

this is a totally reasonable position and one i mostly agree with but i think it's important to understand this is a choice that risks making the canucks worse three years from now for the sake of the next two

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Or guys like Miller and Boeser cashing in...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Our core is not good. Every single team in the NHL has 2 good players.

That is fine.

As long as we agree what they are currently doing is going to fail to open a contention window.

I can see being tired of the Benning years and just wanting to try to enjoy hockey games.

I've been pretty consistent in saying that Benning absolutely f***ed this organization and the new management had an incredibly difficult task to re-open the window that Benning's incompetence closed. But the only way out is through. No team is tearing down from this situation.

I think the league is much more changeable than most here seem to. Who had Seattle opening a window this year and being a potential buyer for Horvat? I don't think it's the most likely result but doing a Florida is definitely possible if the team makes the right moves.

We may be at tear down/rebuild point in two years if this fails. But going through this process is the logical thing to do for where the team is at. The financial costs of a 6-8 year rebuild are absolutely massive.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
he just lives in reality. we are not doing a full tear down until we blow another retool. may as well work within the bounds of the known universe.

This is what I don't get.

We just have fans complaining CONSTANTLY about how we need a full tear down rebuild.

That's not going to happen. We just have to accept reality. If we had a choice, most people would blow this up to pieces.

If all you're going to say is: WE NEED TO REBUILD BLAH BLAH BLAH. You're not contributing to the conversation at all. Those who are accepting of reality, we are operating within the existing constraints. There's no point in talking about a full rebuild.

Should it happen? Probably

Will it happen anytime soon? No.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The more I think about this the better it is. I mean its possible to run back the same team minus Horvat next year and possibly make the playoffs and anything can happen.

/s
We will probably mortgage our future cap with a OEL buyout.

That will give us 2 good years followed by 2 really bad years and then its like having the Luongo recapture extend until 2030-31.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad