Confirmed with Link: Kuzmenko signed to 2 year contract extension ($5.5M AAV x 2 years)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Great news. Guessing the AAV will be in the $6 million range.

There will be lots of crying about this from the crowd that wanted to trade a mid-20s star player for magic beans, but his trade value is likely to be higher in 2 years than now once the league catches up to how good he is and he has a track record of production.

Edit : and $5.5 million. That's a bargain. Kuzmenko must really, really like it here because he could have collected far more than that on July 1.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It’s cheaper than I expected, but it also confirmed that we have no interest ina rebuild.

This also confirms Horvat is done, should be a trade shortly.

Honestly, I don’t mind it, we can always trade him after this year, if it goes sideways again next year

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

There will be lots of crying about this from the crowd that wanted to trade a mid-20s star player for magic beans, but his trade value is likely to be higher in 2 years than now once the league catches up to how good he is and he has a track record of production.

Edit : and $5.5 million. That's a bargain. Kuzmenko must really, really like it here because he could have collected far more than that on July 1.
don't count on it; with Rick's system, his production will take a nose dive.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Good contract, but still unsure as to how we improve as a team with D being the significantly more pressing need to improve (not that we'd find someone in free agency, but the cap might buy something from a desperate team)

Reactions: MarkMM

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Smart by Kuzmenko. Take a slight discount for 2 years to play with Pettersson and rack up points. Hit free agency just short of 30 years old at $8mil + long term. Seen this before.

absolutely a great move for kuzmenko. he gets to be the primary scoring option on pettersson's wing for the next two years and then gets to sign a retirement contract

what worries me is that the retirement contract probably won't be with vancouver given the cap situation in the 2025 offseason

i also think this tanks his trade value. his current contract is a unicorn. he's way harder to move even at 5.5 mil

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Agreed on the trade value. Not gonna complain about a 26 year old on pace for 75 points for 5.5 vs Boeser

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Phenomenal deal.

People crying about not trading Kuzmenko, we can probably trade him a year and a half later at TDL if things aren’t working out. May or may not have the same value as now.

That would fit the Canuck MO. Instead of trading a guy at top value, best draft in probably a decade on either side, wait until he's close to 30 and trade him on the decline.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great contract for the Canucks.

I know it's been explained why Kuzmenko signed this (salary cap going up, etc) but I think he would have been better served with a 1-year extension here if he wasn't going long-term. The only thing left for him to do is put a bit more NHL play on his resume and I think he's in a better marketplace if he's a 28 year old UFA next year vs a 29 year old UFA the following year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->