Confirmed with Link: Kuzmenko signed to 2 year contract extension ($5.5M AAV x 2 years)

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
If it’s only for a second and a prospect, I’m happy they kept him

It makes sense.

Teams literally have no information on Kuzmenko. The sample size is way too small for any teams to give a big package.

Is he a product of Petey? Product of playing on PP1?

Can he be effective in the playoffs? What's his two-way play like? What's his track record?

I think it was a dream to get a significant package... mostly the talking heads in Vancouver like Drance hyping up the package. At most I think we would have gotten a late first... at most. 2nd + B/C prospect is probably the likely packages available to the team.

Also, people don't understand how sports is a relationship business. People SCREAMING for trading Kuzmenko just don't understand how the business works.

Kuzmenko picked Vancouver out of 32 teams. He could have went ANYWHERE he wanted. You can't just trade away a guy you signed a few months ago, especially when Kuzmenko reportedly "loves" it here. That's extremely bad business. Y'all gotta think do a little more critical thinking.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Great news. Guessing the AAV will be in the $6 million range.

There will be lots of crying about this from the crowd that wanted to trade a mid-20s star player for magic beans, but his trade value is likely to be higher in 2 years than now once the league catches up to how good he is and he has a track record of production.

Edit : and $5.5 million. That's a bargain. Kuzmenko must really, really like it here because he could have collected far more than that on July 1.
There will be lots of defence of this from the crowd who thinks the 3rd worst team in the league will be contending for the cup the next two years while paying more for the same players it already has.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Should have talked to him and Pettersson about how much we like Kuz and want to sign him in the offseason but need to trade him now to improve the team long term. But instead let's go with the short term 'solution' and never win anything. Good aav at least but never planning for the future.

Reactions: vancityluongo
Feb 19, 2018
He exactly replaces the Horvat contract at $5.5 million. I see them signing Horvat now and dealing with the Cap later. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was a big trade with one of Boeser or Garland moving out in the next couple days.

Things are happening

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
Gotta love this guy he’s always got a smile on his face and seems to put in the work.

We need to get to work on trades. Let’s get at it!

Reactions: kanucks25

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Even though I think this is a great deal for the Canucks, it's not lost on me how funny it is the Canucks have devoted even more $ into wingers without moving any $ out yet.

The extension doesn't kick in until next year. This is completely irrelevant unless they don't do anything till next year.

It's obvious one of Boeser/Garland is on the move, if not both.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Great deal. I like the opportunity cost of signing him, especially given that a rebuild was never happening.

Hell even if Petey leaves, this is a player who loves this city and can stick and be trade bait.

Also happy because he’s my girlfriend’s favourite player so I can get her a kuz jersey.
He’s 100% gone as soon as EP demands his trade.

It’s clear the two are connected.

Reactions: quat

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
That would fit the Canuck MO. Instead of trading a guy at top value, best draft in probably a decade on either side, wait until he's close to 30 and trade him on the decline.

It's the patented Radim Vrbata strategy.

Joking aside, I do like the deal, it's a great price. How it fits into the overall direction is the question. At least he should be worth more in any trade.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I am definitely onboard with this deal. Very low risk, good term, good AAV, and from what I understand, will help keep EP happy. More deals that make sense like this please.

Now trade Horvat.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
It would cost much more if it were longer.

Taj gets the (lack of) logic for a Kuzmenko bridge deal spot on. It makes no sense. It won't accomplish anything.

We'll see if his value is higher down the road or not.

That is pretty much the make or break on this deal.

I would bet on it, personally.

I don't think his value league wide is as high as some of you think, and I think the agent knows that as well which is why we see this deal now despite all his money bag tweets.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
It would cost much more if it were longer.

Taj gets the (lack of) logic for a Kuzmenko bridge deal spot on. It makes no sense. It won't accomplish anything.

Using Taj to derive any substance about this team is hilarious. I follow him on Twitter for his updates but certainly not for his insights.

Will Kuzmenko's value ever be higher than now? Yes

Will Kuzmenko be around during Canucks contention window one day? Yes

See? I can also do what Taj is doing - it's not that hard. How do we know Kuzmenko's value will not be higher later? Teams may be really wary of trading assets for someone they literally have NO sample size worthy information on.

How do we know Kuzmenko won't be a lifetime Canuck? Your guys' "logic" is you just you guys making absurd statements based on no factual basis. That's not "logic".

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Meh, would have rather dealt him but the term is livable and possibly tradeable....will be better if they can jettison Boeser, Garland and Miller..

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's the patented Radim Vrbata strategy.

Joking aside, I do like the deal, it's a great price. How it fits into the overall direction is the question. At least he should be worth more in any trade.
Unless my memory is off the Vrbata strategy would be to trade away any playmaking centers for Vrbata to work with after that first solid season as a Canuck as Hank's game fell off a cliff after that season.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
We'll see if his value is higher down the road or not.

That is pretty much the make or break on this deal.

I would bet on it, personally.

I don't think his value league wide is as high as some of you think, and I think the agent knows that as well which is why we see this deal now despite all his money bag tweets.

I think the fans screaming trade Kuzmenko probably think teams are lining up with huge packages to offer because he has a cheap contract. They also don't consider any of these factors:

1) Kuz has only played 47 games in the NHL
2) Kuz has no NHL playoff experience
3) Kuz has the luxury of playing alongside Petey
4) Kuz has the luxury of playing on PP1

Kuzmenko was never going to return a big package like some people were dreaming about. It's nice to dream I guess...

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Stoked to get to cheer for Kuzmenko for the next few seasons after this one, he's super fun and seems like the nicest guy in the world

That being said, this is another example of the Canucks never making a hard decision. Always taking the easy route, no interest in current pain in pursuit of future gain. Don't love that aspect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad