Confirmed with Link: Kuzmenko signed to 2 year contract extension ($5.5M AAV x 2 years)

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Agreed on the trade value. Not gonna complain about a 26 year old on pace for 75 points for 5.5 vs Boeser

Well you are in luck cause they also re-signed Boeser at $6 mil+ then signed Mekheyev for almost $5 mil and now have to trade their Captain. Rumor is a Garland buyout to hopefully get back under the cap.

Reactions: Gurn

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
That would fit the Canuck MO. Instead of trading a guy at top value, best draft in probably a decade on either side, wait until he's close to 30 and trade him on the decline.
He might have more value at next TDL.

More of a track record and maybe even better than now.

How do we know this is the best version of Kuzmenko? This literally is his first year and he only plays 16 mins a night.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Great deal. I like the opportunity cost of signing him, especially given that a rebuild was never happening.

Hell even if Petey leaves, this is a player who loves this city and can stick and be trade bait.

Also happy because he’s my girlfriend’s favourite player so I can get her a kuz jersey.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also, given the chatter around the Canucks being unable to re-sign/commit to both Kuzmenko and Horvat - wonder if this signals that it's full steam ahead on a Horvat trade or not. (if it hadn't been signaled already)

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
But we could have traded him for haul. A lot of the media keep saying the word haul. Is a 2nd+B prospect a haul? Good deal also like that it means that Horvat is likely gone.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
No one can get mad about this move. This is win for both sides.

Kuzmenko will have every bit of incentive to produce to secure a retirement contract.

Canucks will have an asset on a short-term deal that's really motivated to appreciate his value.

The JT Miller and Boeser signings we're crazy stupid.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Also, given the chatter around the Canucks being unable to re-sign/commit to both Kuzmenko and Horvat - wonder if this signals that it's full steam ahead on a Horvat trade or not. (if it hadn't been signaled already)
I think it means that the Horvat trade is basically done

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
absolutely a great move for kuzmenko. he gets to be the primary scoring option on pettersson's wing for the next two years and then gets to sign a retirement contract

what worries me is that the retirement contract probably won't be with vancouver given the cap situation in the 2025 offseason

i also think this tanks his trade value. his current contract is a unicorn. he's way harder to move even at 5.5 mil

It won't be with Vancouver unless you believe the club that they will be in contention within 3 years.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
No one can get mad about this move. This is win for both sides.

Kuzmenko will have every bit of incentive to produce to secure a retirement contract.

Canucks will have an asset on a short-term deal that's really motivated to appreciate his value.

The JT Miller and Boeser signings we're crazy stupid.

I'm not "mad" about this move but it perfectly fits how the Canucks operate. Guy comes in and is on fire. They pay him top dollar. Will he continue to improve or fall off. Who knows but the Canucks won't be a playoff team in the next 2 years and are in a position where they have to trade their captain then try to fill his hole and a number of other holes with no cap space and even less now.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He might have more value at next TDL.

More of a track record and maybe even better than now.

How do we know this is the best version of Kuzmenko? This literally is his first year and he only plays 16 mins a night.

we'll see but almost no wingers have been traded for anything close to reasonable value in the last 24 months. maybe he gets a kevin fiala return but maybe he's only worth a pacioretty return?

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Now they need to follow this up with a Horvat trade and they're sort of on track.

Imagine they follow this up with a Horvat 7x8m?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Missed a perfect trading opportunity tho, his value won’t be higher than it is right now.

Hes dirt cheap as a rental, near ppg pace.

The trade chatter is that his value is actually only a 2nd. People are calling for a haul and he just doesn't have a track record to back that up. He should be massively valuable but teams want reliability for the playoffs.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Great deal. I like the opportunity cost of signing him, especially given that a rebuild was never happening.

Hell even if Petey leaves, this is a player who loves this city and can stick and be trade bait.

Also happy because he’s my girlfriend’s favourite player so I can get her a kuz jersey.
My girlfriend loves Kuzmenko too but it’s mostly because she’s Russian too.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Even though I think this is a great deal for the Canucks, it's not lost on me how funny it is the Canucks have devoted even more $ into wingers without moving any $ out yet.

Yeah...I've been saying since the offseason that they HAVE to move someone from the wing and it just hasn't happened.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I'm not "mad" about this move but it perfectly fits how the Canucks operate. Guy comes in and is on fire. They pay him top dollar. Will he continue to improve or fall off. Who knows but the Canucks won't be a playoff team in the next 2 years and are in a position where they have to trade their captain then try to fill his hole and a number of other holes with no cap space and even less now.

It looks really bad due to their track record on re-signing guys like Miller and Boeser but this a very short-term deal, and the guy has proven to be a more dynamic player than the 2 other guys; and also has a positive aura around him. The alternative was a paltry trade involving a late 1st or early 2nd round pick along with a B level prospect. It's not good asset management at all to let this guy walk or trade him for assets that have a very very low chance of evolving into a similar player.

I was singing a very different tune about Miller and Boeser last year.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

I don't think the Kuzmenko signing should have any impact on Horvat.

Kuzmenko signing should mean they are shedding at least one of Boeser or Garland.

The thing blocking Horvat would probably be us wanting to address the defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad