News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Actually, you send Kobasew down.......B6 still not fixed.

Duppers is not coming back this year. We would need at least 2 forwards.

I mean going forward. But yeah, the bottom-six is a mess.

But those kinds of acquisitions you can make for relatively cheap. The winger issue, and there is one, if it's going to be solved once and for all is going to cost Letang. That's a price we should be willing to pay without any reservations.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Examples of making our team better by trading other pieces for 3rd liners over trading Letang. You can say you'd rather keep Letang and get rid of other pieces, but I don't see a scenario where our team becomes better near and long term by doing that. So please show me a scenario that does that.

You could probably get Kulemin for futures, McGinn is rumored to be available you can also get a pure rental third liners pretty cheap usually and look into FA for long term fits.

If you want a young term forward Despres for a guy like Chiasson is a commonly discussed deal worth looking into but know one knows for sure.

Point is, if you trade Letang your are almost guarenteed to be giving up the best player in the deal (IMO including Eberle) and unless your rebuilding that usually wont get you too far. Now im not totally against trading Letang but if in Shero i wouldnt except a trade i think i can win, i only except a trade i cannot lose.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I mean going forward. But yeah, the bottom-six is a mess.

But those kinds of acquisitions you can make for relatively cheap. The winger issue, and there is one, if it's going to be solved once and for all is going to cost Letang. That's a price we should be willing to pay without any reservations.

Completely disagree, Letang is a special talent and im not giving that up unless i cannot refuse.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Was watching the In the Room thing. Letang was having a go at Sid when they were on a plane to Vancouver and whilst it was probably nothing it is fair to say that Sid was not amused. He just ignored him. Something simmering underneath that we don't know about?

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Was watching the In the Room thing. Letang was having a go at Sid when they were on a plane to Vancouver and whilst it was probably nothing it is fair to say that Sid was not amused. He just ignored him. Something simmering underneath that we don't know about?

maybe Letang should keep his mouth shut and realize he's one of the biggest crybabies on this team. Crosby doesn't mope around and sulk like a little baby when he's not getting 25 minutes in any given game.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You could probably get Kulemin for futures, McGinn is rumored to be available you can also get a pure rental third liners pretty cheap usually and look into FA for long term fits.

If you want a young term forward Despres for a guy like Chiasson is a commonly discussed deal worth looking into but know one knows for sure.

Point is, if you trade Letang your are almost guarenteed to be giving up the best player in the deal (IMO including Eberle) and unless your rebuilding that usually wont get you too far. Now im not totally against trading Letang but if in Shero i wouldnt except a trade i think i can win, i only except a trade i cannot lose.

That's fair. I just don't think a Kulemin or McGinn makes us cup contenders but I do think an Eberle or O'Reilly does. Plus, both Toronto and Colorado are likely playoff teams. They aren't going to be selling those players for picks or prospects so it's going to have to be a roster player. Can you imagine a scenario where Shero trades Orpik or Niskanen for a 3rd liner? I certainly can't.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Or you can give up a lot less for guys to fill those roles outright without hurting your defense.

IMO going forward Letang will be a bargain and he is absolutley integral to what this team does.

Letang isn't an integral part of this team. He just isn't. He's purely a luxury player. He's not an untouchable PP QB that we don't have another answer for. We have other defensemen to put up points from the blueline. We have other defensemen capable of starting a breakout. He's no stalwart defensively, so we won't miss his defensive presence. He isn't a huge hitter or a guy who clears the crease. He is redundant on this team, and we have glaring holes elsewhere. He's missed significant time over the past couple of seasons, and the team has been more than fine without him. This season, we've been one of the best teams in the NHL without Letang, and even when he's come back from injury playing terrible hockey. Niskanen's emergence and Maatta's play have made it more than a realistic possibility. It's a move Shero needs to make in order to make sure this team keeps getting better and evolving.

That's my biggest gripe with Shero and Bylsma. Incessant stubbornness to stay the course for both, and the need to square peg players into roles they're not suited for for Bylsma. Shero figures "Hell, it worked once, it'll work again." That doesn't fly in today's NHL. You need to continually adjust, adapt, and evolve. We're not different now than we were in '09, maybe worse. Geno has a stud winger now, but our bottom-six is abysmal and we're still in the situation where the best player on Earth is carrying an anchor every time he steps onto the ice. Maybe it's the selfish fan in me that wants Sid to be flanked by two wingers the way Tavares, Toews, P. Kane, Getzlaf and countless other stars around the league are, but I genuinely believe that getting Sid and Geno two wingers each makes this team a much more legitimate contender for a Cup than keeping Letang around while the carousel of an excruciatingly bad cast of supporting characters revolves.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Completely disagree, Letang is a special talent and im not giving that up unless i cannot refuse.

He's special alright. The dude's dumber than a sack of doorknobs on the ice. :laugh: I wish we could put him on LTIR with an upper-body injury for being braindead.

He needs a change of scenery and a real coach who can get the most out of him. He's not getting that here, and he's expendable based on the guys we have under contract, so move him to fix a glaring problem up front.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That's fair. I just don't think a Kulemin or McGinn makes us cup contenders but I do think an Eberle or O'Reilly does. Plus, both Toronto and Colorado are likely playoff teams. They aren't going to be selling those players for picks or prospects so it's going to have to be a roster player. Can you imagine a scenario where Shero trades Orpik or Niskanen for a 3rd liner? I certainly can't.

The way i see it, healthy we are already cup contenders, maybe not the favorite but legit contenders. And a solid 3rd line could make all the difference.

They dont have to be them specifically just examples, i would go through the rosters of sellers if i had the time just some off the top of my head.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Letang isn't an integral part of this team. He just isn't. He's purely a luxury player. He's not an untouchable PP QB that we don't have another answer for. We have other defensemen to put up points from the blueline. We have other defensemen capable of starting a breakout. He's no stalwart defensively, so we won't miss his defensive presence. He isn't a huge hitter or a guy who clears the crease. He is redundant on this team, and we have glaring holes elsewhere. He's missed significant time over the past couple of seasons, and the team has been more than fine without him. This season, we've been one of the best teams in the NHL without Letang, and even when he's come back from injury playing terrible hockey. Niskanen's emergence and Maatta's play have made it more than a realistic possibility. It's a move Shero needs to make in order to make sure this team keeps getting better and evolving.

That's my biggest gripe with Shero and Bylsma. Incessant stubbornness to stay the course for both, and the need to square peg players into roles they're not suited for for Bylsma. Shero figures "Hell, it worked once, it'll work again." That doesn't fly in today's NHL. You need to continually adjust, adapt, and evolve. We're not different now than we were in '09, maybe worse. Geno has a stud winger now, but our bottom-six is abysmal and we're still in the situation where the best player on Earth is carrying an anchor every time he steps onto the ice. Maybe it's the selfish fan in me that wants Sid to be flanked by two wingers the way Tavares, Toews, P. Kane, Getzlaf and countless other stars around the league are, but I genuinely believe that getting Sid and Geno two wingers each makes this team a much more legitimate contender for a Cup than keeping Letang around while the carousel of an excruciatingly bad cast of supporting characters revolves.

IMO there is validity to what your saying but the best coarse of action is to shore up the 3rd line cheaper because the fact is right now the top two line are winngin games by themselves and if they can win this many games by themselves now they can surely play well enough to win in the playoffs with Bennet replacing Kobesew. I think the difference will be if we can improve the third line so that they can have some puck possession so we can quit using the Crosby line as the shutdown line. All the while not losing a thing on defense.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The way i see it, healthy we are already cup contenders, maybe not the favorite but legit contenders. And a solid 3rd line could make all the difference.

They dont have to be them specifically just examples, i would go through the rosters of sellers if i had the time just some off the top of my head.

That's where we differ. I love Bennett, but him having a fairly long term injury, really hurt our chances to solidify the top 6. I'm not comfortable with him as the only top 6 option there. What if he struggles? What if he's hurt again? The only decent guy to fall back on is Brian Gibbons. Other than that Sid is playing with Chuck freakin Kobasew and that's not going to cut it against Boston or whatever powerhouse comes out of the West.

Now let's talk about the 3rd line, IF we go the route of upgrading there and trusting Bennett, we need 2 3rd line wingers, one of which is a tweener. So that's Kulemin AND McGinn for example. Like I said before, since both are likely playoff teams, we would need to trade from our roster. I just don't think we have the assets to get those 2 guys. I'm sure there are other guys out there though, but nothing overly appealing that I can think of.

Anyway, a Letang trade solves damn near all our problems up front for the long haul and I think our defense is still cup caliber:

Orpik-Martin
Nisky-Scuds
Maatta-Despres
Bort

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
IMO there is validity to what your saying but the best coarse of action is to shore up the 3rd line cheaper because the fact is right now the top two line are winngin games by themselves and if they can win this many games by themselves now they can surely play well enough to win in the playoffs with Bennet replacing Kobesew. I think the difference will be if we can improve the third line so that they can have some puck possession so we can quit using the Crosby line as the shutdown line. All the while not losing a thing on defense.

That's an assumption this team seems to keep making.

And they keep finding out doesn't actually work. Not without quality support. And not just on their particular lines.

And as much as I like BB's chances to eventually be an impact player... he's simply missed too much time and is too much of an unknown (neither is really his fault, either) to be counted on as the missing piece on that top line when it really matters.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's an assumption this team seems to keep making.

And they keep finding out doesn't actually work. Not without quality support. And not just on their particular lines.

And as much as I like BB's chances to eventually be an impact player... he's simply missed too much time and is too much of an unknown (neither is really his fault, either) to be counted on as the missing piece on that top line when it really matters.

Exactly. Well said my friend.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
Orpik-Martin
Nisky-Scuds
Maatta-Despres
Bort

I don't think you break up Maatta/Niskanen at this point. just too much chemistry, and they are effectively already operating as a solid 3/4 pairing. in my book, I think a Letang trade means you're betting on one of Despres/Bort to capably team with Scuderi for the playoff. I actually think Despres/Scuderi would make an interesting tandem if you're not hung up on the lefty/lefty thing.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Letang is the luxury we can't afford.

If you say it enough times it’s bound to come true.

Letang isn't an integral part of this team. He just isn't. He's purely a luxury player.

Oh good you did say it again.

Letang isn't a top tier defender in the league.

I don’t even know what to say anymore…so…here it goes: yes he is.

We've been fine without him for extended stretches

And we’ve been absolutely crippled at other times without him. If fans didn’t have the memory of a goldfish we wouldn’t have “trade player x†threads every year where the player Shero held onto made a “miraculous†180 recovery. Never mind the one we’re talking about is one of the very best in the league at his position.

Trade Letang for a stud winger to finally solve Sid's winger problem

When? This year? Cap hit for stud winger is most certainly higher than $3.5m. Next year? So this year is a wash? What if Letang does something crazy like lead the team in playoff scoring….like last year?

re-sign Niskanen

So we’re here? Niskanen is the top 4 guy we can’t wait to sign? The goldfish thing again.

Kunitz - Crosby - ROR/Kane/Eberle/etc
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Megna - Sutter - Dupuis

That's a top-nine I'd be ecstatic with moving forward.

Martin - Despres
Niskanen - Maatta
Bortuzzo - Scuderi
Engelland

That's a defensive corps I would also be extremely happy with moving forward.

Remember when Niskanen sucked? Remember when Martin sucked? Remember when Scuderi got hemmed in his zone unable to get the puck to the neutral zone without icing it? Remember when Maatta was a rookie? All of those players you mentioned on Crosby’s RW are a greater cap hit this year than Letang’s $3.5m. You included Dupuis in there – is this 2014-2015? Hope Niskanen doesn’t revert back…hope Martin doesn’t either…hope Maatta doesn’t go through a sophomore slump…hope ROR agrees to sign as an RFA at a reasonable price. That scenario has a whole lot of hoping to go along with that whole lot of risk by getting rid of the best player in any of those deals.

We didn't play anything near a defensive stalwart in our run through the playoffs that season until we got to the Cup Finals.

So now it’s stack the offense and go for 5 goals a game? It’s like nobody remembers the sentiment right before Martin and Michalek were brought in: “we can’t just score our way to cups. We need defense!†After giving up too many goals in a playoff exit. Now it’s “we just stack Sid and Geno and score our way to cups!†After scoring 2 goals in 4 playoff games.

I can’t tell you exactly how cups are won. What I can tell you is that they’re not won by riding the emotional roller coaster after every playoff loss and pissing away valuable long term assets for what’s perceived as the new solution.

just genuinely don't believe replacing Letang with a stud winger hurts us in any way. Letang can be a gamebreaker, for sure, but when you score 2 goals in a 4 game embarrassment against a team we're likely to meet in the post season every year, something's gotta be done.

O’Reilly can save the day and Letang missing doesn’t matter? So O’Reilly is gonna outscore Sid and match Geno in production that same way Letang did in last year’s playoffs?

Letang's presence isn't going to get us over the hump, but adding legitimate scoring depth up front will go a long way toward making this team a Hell of a lot more dangerous.

Or you can give up a lot less for guys to fill those roles outright without hurting your defense.

What he said.

The way i see it we didnt lose last season because our wingers couldnt score, Jokinen, Neal and Kunitz are plenty of firepower. The problem was threefold. Sid and Geno didnt play well, a handful of bad bounces and posts, but mainly our transition game.

Tang.

We're not different now than we were in '09, maybe worse. Geno has a stud winger now, but our bottom-six is abysmal and we're still in the situation where the best player on Earth is carrying an anchor every time he steps onto the ice.

So our top 6 is better and our bottom 6 is worse. The solution is to add the top 6 winger? I’m not even against making moves for a top 6 winger, but I just can’t follow your logic at all.

Maybe it's the selfish fan in me that wants Sid to be flanked by two wingers the way Tavares, Toews, P. Kane, Getzlaf and countless other stars around the league are, but I genuinely believe that getting Sid and Geno two wingers each makes this team a much more legitimate contender for a Cup than keeping Letang around while the carousel of an excruciatingly bad cast of supporting characters revolves.

Crosby has the luxury of having the 2nd best center in the league to relieve the pressure from opposition in the playoff matching game. Getzlaf may have Perry but he has Saku freaking Koivu to help take pressure off on line 2. They also haven’t had too much playoff success as of late. Tavares is backed by…Nielson? Yikes. And again, they haven’t done too much playoff damage. Last I checked Kane had none of Toews, Hossa, or Sharp flanking him, even though the Hawks are most certainly flush with riches of young forwards capable of playing with top end talent.

Kulemin or McGinn+Letang-Orpik > O’Reilly or Eberle +Orpik-Letang.

If Colorado isn’t selling us McGinn, why are we talking about O’Reilly?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think you break up Maatta/Niskanen at this point. just too much chemistry, and they are effectively already operating as a solid 3/4 pairing. in my book, I think a Letang trade means you're betting on one of Despres/Bort to capably team with Scuderi for the playoff. I actually think Despres/Scuderi would make an interesting tandem if you're not hung up on the lefty/lefty thing.

I'm cool with that. I was just sliding up Nisky into Letang's place. I am more than fine with a 2nd/3rd pairing of Despres/Bort Scuds.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kulemin or McGinn+Letang-Orpik > O’Reilly or Eberle +Orpik-Letang.

If Colorado isn’t selling us McGinn, why are we talking about O’Reilly?

I said they aren't selling us McGinn for futures and I don't see Shero moving Orpik or Niskanen for a 3rd line winger. I could, however, see Colorado trading O'Reilly for a top defenseman and I could see Shero doing a "hockey trade". I really don't think Letang is getting traded, I just think it makes more sense in Shero's brain that trading Orpik for a 3rd liner.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Hertl + for Letang?

Too small of a sample size to trade Letang unless the plus is really good.

And the minor detail that he's been out for weeks and probably will remain out for the rest of the year (MCL / PCL surgery on Dec 31 - estimated out 6-9 months). ;)

Also, SJ is not trading Hertl for Letang or any other D. Their best guys are getting up there in years (there's a reason they got short term deals). Couture, Hertl and Pavelski are the future of that offensive core.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
And we’ve been absolutely crippled at other times without him. If fans didn’t have the memory of a goldfish we wouldn’t have “trade player x†threads every year where the player Shero held onto made a “miraculous†180 recovery. Never mind the one we’re talking about is one of the very best in the league at his position.

The Crosby winger situation isn't a knee-jerk reaction. If this was eight years ago, maybe, but it's time to fix the problem. There's no reason the best player in the past 20 years has to play with Dupuis, Kobasew, Ekman, Armstrong, and Guerin. Shero has the ability to solve the issue, but the sack or the smarts? Not looking good.

When? This year? Cap hit for stud winger is most certainly higher than $3.5m. Next year? So this year is a wash? What if Letang does something crazy like lead the team in playoff scoring….like last year?

Letang lead the team in scoring at a point per game clip last post season. If you think that's the norm and not an anomaly on a team with Sid or Geno, you're mistaken. Hell, it's sort of an issue when Sid and Geno aren't scoring at a point per game pace, or better, no? Sort of lends credence to the idea that they do in fact need legitimate help come playoff time.

Remember when Niskanen sucked? Remember when Martin sucked? Remember when Scuderi got hemmed in his zone unable to get the puck to the neutral zone without icing it? Remember when Maatta was a rookie? All of those players you mentioned on Crosby’s RW are a greater cap hit this year than Letang’s $3.5m. You included Dupuis in there – is this 2014-2015? Hope Niskanen doesn’t revert back…hope Martin doesn’t either…hope Maatta doesn’t go through a sophomore slump…hope ROR agrees to sign as an RFA at a reasonable price. That scenario has a whole lot of hoping to go along with that whole lot of risk by getting rid of the best player in any of those deals.

No player on this team makes as much sense as a trade asset as Letang. We can't move any forwards worth anything because that's counterintuitive, and no defensemen are worth anywhere near what Letang is. Letang affords us the ability to give Sid his Neal--someone who is fantastic now and will continue to be for years. Kunitz isn't getting any younger, and while he's playing great and producing, you need to start wondering when that's going to taper off, because it will, and quickly for a guy who plays his style. Get Sid a RW, allow Bennett to play on Geno's LW, and you have options for the bottom-six now. Jokinen, Sutter, Megna, Dupuis (when he's finally healthy again next season). That's a much better lineup than square-pegging players who don't belong anywhere near a scoring line in and spreading the talent way too thin. If Kobasew and Dupuis are in your top-6, and Glass is on your 3rd line, you're gonna have a rough time come playoffs.

So now it’s stack the offense and go for 5 goals a game? It’s like nobody remembers the sentiment right before Martin and Michalek were brought in: “we can’t just score our way to cups. We need defense!†After giving up too many goals in a playoff exit. Now it’s “we just stack Sid and Geno and score our way to cups!†After scoring 2 goals in 4 playoff games.

It's not about stacking Sid and Geno's lines, it's about depth. Add to Sid's line and allow the other guys to move down and fill out spots they're suited for. Again, Dupuis and Jokinen are 3rd line guys.

And if you're arguing that defense wins championships, Letang's not your best go-to.

I can’t tell you exactly how cups are won. What I can tell you is that they’re not won by riding the emotional roller coaster after every playoff loss and pissing away valuable long term assets for what’s perceived as the new solution.

Again, not a knee-jerk reaction. It started when the Wings shadowed Crosby and neutralized him during a playoffs where Sid and Geno performed at a level that hadn't been seen in decades. Teams learned and adapted quickly that if you shadow Sid and Geno and dare the others to score, you're going to win. While Kunitz puts up good numbers, if Sid's not clicking, Kunitz ain't doin' jack. Neal is much the same way. The other guys we have to turn to? Dupuis, Jokinen, and Bennett. While I love Bennett, I think it's a bit unrealistic and unfair to expect him to carry any of the load if push comes to shove, but he certainly has the talent to do so. He just needs more experience--and hopefully Bylsma allows him to play full time on a scoring wing from here on out. As far as the other guys, if you're looking for Dupuis or Jokinen to step up and create on their own when times get tough, you're in for a **** time. The team needs help for Sid's line, and a permanent solution. No more band-aids.

O’Reilly can save the day and Letang missing doesn’t matter? So O’Reilly is gonna outscore Sid and match Geno in production that same way Letang did in last year’s playoffs?

Again, Letang produced well. But the fact that he out produced Sid and Geno sheds light on the fact that maybe their lines need serious help. There's no excuse for Sid and Geno to produce at a point per game pace or less. If Letang's leading the team in scoring, we're not going anywhere.

So our top 6 is better and our bottom 6 is worse. The solution is to add the top 6 winger? I’m not even against making moves for a top 6 winger, but I just can’t follow your logic at all.

Getting Sid's version of Neal allows the players being played out of their correct role (i.e. Dupuis, Jokinen, etc.) to slot down and fill out the bottom-6. Hypothetically, if we add ROR, you have Kunitz-Crosby-ROR, Bennett-Malkin-Neal, Jokinen-Sutter-Megna. That's a damn fine three lines. It's not about stacking lines, it's about distributing the talent throughout the lineup to be a deeper team top to bottom, but still having a lethal top two lines. That's going to get us Cups a lot more than spending $7.25M/yr on Letang.

Crosby has the luxury of having the 2nd best center in the league to relieve the pressure from opposition in the playoff matching game. Getzlaf may have Perry but he has Saku freaking Koivu to help take pressure off on line 2. They also haven’t had too much playoff success as of late. Tavares is backed by…Nielson? Yikes. And again, they haven’t done too much playoff damage. Last I checked Kane had none of Toews, Hossa, or Sharp flanking him, even though the Hawks are most certainly flush with riches of young forwards capable of playing with top end talent.

Malkin helps with matchups. He does nothing in the way of taking pressure off of Sid when Sid is on the ice--unless Bylsma goes two-headed monster. Sid needs a dangerous player on his RW.

And as far as playoff damage goes. What does that mean? When's the last time we did damage in the playoffs? Last year? We barely got past a team we should have swept, and got out-coached, out-classed, and dusted by a Bruins team who took Sid and Geno off of their games early and dared their linemates to produce when Sid and Geno weren't. Didn't work out in our favor.

Tavares is flanked by Okposo and Vanek now. He destroyed us last post-season with Moulson (who I like a lot), and if we meet again, I shudder to think of what his line will do now that they have Vanek's speed. The Isles killed us with speed, and now they're faster.

Kane's got Shaw and Saad, two extremely effective, bright young guys who will be very good for a very long time.

When you have the likes of Sid, Geno, Neal and Kunitz, the Cup is your realistic expectation every season. Letang isn't going to win us any playoff series, but adding Sid's Neal and letting the depth fill out will go a Hell of a lot further toward accomplishing that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And the minor detail that he's been out for weeks and probably will remain out for the rest of the year (MCL / PCL surgery on Dec 31 - estimated out 6-9 months). ;)

Also, SJ is not trading Hertl for Letang or any other D. Their best guys are getting up there in years (there's a reason they got short term deals). Couture, Hertl and Pavelski are the future of that offensive core.

I think SJ would trade Hertl for Letang in literally five seconds.

You know who is really old? Dan Boyle, who hasn't been resigned and is their main offensive defensemen with Burns being a forward now.

Cost controlled Top 15 D-man in the league for the next eight years at what is going to look like a steal in two years?

Yeah, I'd take it.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Hold on... Vanek is not fast. His own mother wouldn't say that he's fast.

He's likely a short step faster than Moulson. Nobody's getting burned by Vanek's speed.

And Andrew Shaw will not be "very good for a very long time". The definition of playing well on a great team. Incredibly unsustainable production, and he's not even producing that much. What he is excellent at is getting under the opponent's skin, which is particularly effective in a long series.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Hold on... Vanek is not fast. His own mother wouldn't say that he's fast.

He's likely a short step faster than Moulson. Nobody's getting burned by Vanek's speed.

And Andrew Shaw will not be "very good for a very long time". The definition of playing well on a great team. Incredibly unsustainable production, and he's not even producing that much. What he is excellent at is getting under the opponent's skin, which is particularly effective in a long series.

I never really thought of Vanek as particularly slow. /shrug He's not Grabner, but he's no Craig Adams. I think he's a lot faster with the puck than without. He's not going to burn you, but his speed is fine.

And I think maybe I should have used the word effective for Shaw. He's a really good hockey player and good at what he does. Regardless, Chicago has two well-rounded lines with no real weak point, and great depth. Why isn't that what we strive for? Instead, we're content with the Guerins, and Dupuis' of the hockey world. It's not cutting it anymore. It happened to work once, during a ridiculous run where the stars aligned. Teams have adapted, evolved and gotten better. I just think we need to make a move to keep up, and Letang makes the most sense.

-edit- Grammar. Sorry, I'm exhausted. :laugh:

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Does ANYBODY here understand that team "depth" does not equal (5) 30g scorers scattered across only 2 lines?

Depth means you have 3-4 lines that can go out against anybody and win the shot and goal differential battle on a consistent basis. Our bottom 6 is "BUF terrible" at everything. Until there is a huge overhaul here, we are a pretender.

Right now we have 2 elite lines that have to make up goals that our bottom 6 lets up, and then they have to score enough to win the game.

Prior to Dupuis being injured, I would have agreed with you completely (was saying the bottom 6 was a far bigger problem than Pascal bobbling the puck and still think that), but these are both problems at this point. We have no choices for Crosby's wing apart from the bottom six-type players you are describing as inadequate.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I never really thought of Vanek are particularly slow. /shrug He's not Grabner, but he's no Craig Adams.

And I think maybe I should have used the word effective for Shaw. He's a really good hockey player and good at what he does. Regardless, Chicago has two well-rounded lines with no real weak point, and great depth. Why isn't that what we strive for? Instead, we're content with the Guerins, and Dupuis' of the hockey world. It's not cutting it anymore. It happened to work once, during a ridiculous run where the stars aligned. Teams have adapted, evolved and gotten better. I just think we need to make a move to keep up, and Letang makes the most sense.

I think our sense of speed might be really screwed "Well, they're faster than Adams," that can still be really slow. It's just another thing they messed up. Adams made me think Pyatt was fast for a second once.

He's not a snail but he's definitely not fast. Probably somewhere around the slower end of average, to put it kindly. He's a good enough player that it's not a major thing. The concept of speed in the NHL is always getting faster anyway.

The Crosby winger situation is just embarrassing at this point and it's right at being shameful.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't trade Letang during the season.

Trade him during the offseason. Get rid of the F3 system and let the Pens get used to it in preseason.

IMO an F3 is made more for duo's. Sure a better player can be used on lines as that third wheel but a trade for Letang has to be stud for stud.... not a star for spare parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad