News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You're missing one of the main points of the article; it doesn't really matter if Shero doesn't get top value for Tang or "loses" the trade in a vacuum because he's easily replace from within and the Pens need an elite winger much more than they need Tang.

No he isn't. The Pens do not have another prospect who can really come close to the offense and transistion game that Letang can bring. It is certainly possible that an elite winger could help this team more, but Letang can not simply be "replaced."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I just feel like trading Letang for the ultimate solution to Sid's wing makes too much sense. Letang's a luxury player, regardless of what people want to think. We've been fine without him in the lineup, and we're fine with him playing like ass in the lineup. We'll be a stronger team if we trade him. People talk about him being a game breaker, but how often does it happen? He's atrocious on the power play, and has the hockey IQ of a bag of doorknobs. Those are two glaring deficiencies in a player, and the reasons why I wouldn't have given him the kind of contract Shero did. If you want that kind of money, you better have minor issues, and not big ones like Letang. All that being said, I'm still sure Letang's worth a fortune around the league. He's not needed here, and I think the team gets a lot more dangerous if he's swapped for someone like ROR, Kane, or Eberle. It's the right move, but I don't think Shero has the sack or brains to do it.

Niskanen's emergence, coupled with the kind of guys we have ready or close to it make Letang even more expendable. Save money by keeping Niskanen around (and he's better on the power play to boot), start grooming guys for NHL duty, and get the winger for Sid. Everyone's happy. I feel like this is the Staal situation all over again. I just hope Shero doesn't screw this one up, too.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
No he isn't. The Pens do not have another prospect who can really come close to the offense and transistion game that Letang can bring. It is certainly possible that an elite winger could help this team more, but Letang can not simply be "replaced."

Nisky has arguably been better than him this year. He better on the PP and doesn't take the unnecessary chances he does. And Des has a pretty good transition game and good offensive potential.

Even if you think Tang is better than Nisky, the difference between the two is much smaller than the difference between Eberle/Kane/ROR and Dupuis.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Where were all these Letang naysayers when I was taking bullets pre-contract extension?

AEKaki

I just feel like trading Letang for the ultimate solution to Sid's wing makes too much sense. Letang's a luxury player, regardless of what people want to think. We've been fine without him in the lineup, and we're fine with him playing like ass in the lineup. We'll be a stronger team if we trade him. People talk about him being a game breaker, but how often does it happen? He's atrocious on the power play, and has the hockey IQ of a bag of doorknobs. Those are two glaring deficiencies in a player, and the reasons why I wouldn't have given him the kind of contract Shero did. If you want that kind of money, you better have minor issues, and not big ones like Letang. All that being said, I'm still sure Letang's worth a fortune around the league. He's not needed here, and I think the team gets a lot more dangerous if he's swapped for someone like ROR, Kane, or Eberle. It's the right move, but I don't think Shero has the sack or brains to do it.

Niskanen's emergence, coupled with the kind of guys we have ready or close to it make Letang even more expendable. Save money by keeping Niskanen around (and he's better on the power play to boot), start grooming guys for NHL duty, and get the winger for Sid. Everyone's happy. I feel like this is the Staal situation all over again. I just hope Shero doesn't screw this one up, too.

This is one of the best posts that I've read on these boards in a while. Bang on with your comments. Letang is extremely talented, I think we can all agree on that, but he is really overrated and will be overpayed as of July. He will never play as a 7M defenceman, let alone a 4-5M defenceman. If his salary was 3-4M/year, then we can all live with his low IQ, but when you are getting paid more than true #1Ds in the game, you will be compared to them, you will be EXPECTED to PERFORM, be FLAWLESS and thus expectations will be a lot higher. THIS IS WHY we are all hard on him!!!! It is not HATE, it's REALITY.

That said, he IS a game breaker, but on both sides. He can easily KILL any momentum that our offence creates with his dumb plays, and he can also create offence out of nothing. I rather live without this risk if we can get a strong piece for Crosby's line. If we get a player like Eberle, we not only get better as a team (Eberle is a great addition to the first line instead of Kobasew, Despres comes in the lineup instead of Letang, and we also gain a few million in salary cap)... Being a Norris nominee, I'd imagine the return will be slightly higher than Eberle alone.

Also, I feel somewhat more safe with Niskanen on the #1 PP than Letang.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Where were all these Letang naysayers when I was taking bullets pre-contract extension?

Well I was there. I wasn't really all out wanting him traded, but I had serious reservations that he has done nothing to alleviate.

I honestly don't think this team needs to spend that much money on a player like Letang.

All the Pens need are defenseman who are actually good defensively and don't take tons of risks, while being able to move the puck quickly to Crosby's and Malkin's stick. I mean if you had to choose, would you rather the puck be on their stick or a defenseman's? Basically defenseman like Martin, Niskanen, Maatta, Despres, etc. It's borne out in how we play while Letang is on the ice and when he's not too. We don't turn the puck over as much in the defensive zone and in transition when Niskanen and Maatta are on the ice.

I've said it before that Letang is a microcosm of the issues plaguing this team. Playing fast and loose with the puck, undisciplined play, can make brilliant plays and WTF plays on the same shift, etc. Getting rid of him would go an extremely long way to changing the culture of this team, which I think is needed for real playoff success.

Penguinzilla*

When I watch Eberle play I can't believe he's not top 5 in scoring. That dude is awesome. Then again, Bylsma would put him on the 3rd line

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It is all about the fact this team ia able to move forward without him and he's a luxury they can nolonger afford to waste here with the riches they have on D-man.

He would make an instant impact for Edmonton or Colorado. We would miss his speed.

He really wants to stay here, though. Who wouldn't considering the meal tickets.

SteelFish87*

When I watch Eberle play I can't believe he's not top 5 in scoring. That dude is awesome. Then again, Bylsma would put him on the 3rd line

i know. does Letang get us Eberle or do we have to add?

add Orpik!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad