Knowing what we know - who do you draft in a re-draft? 18 yr old Crosby or 18 yr old McDavid?

Who do you take in a re-draft - 18yr old Crosby vs 18 yr old McDavid

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As per the coach himself Crosby sets the tone for everything. How the players practice, their work ethic, standards, expectations. Despite the stats there's no doubt he has been the engine behind it all. It rubs off on people up and down the organization.
I agree wholeheartedly. IPn the battle of 'intangibles' - Crosby has a huge leg up on McDavid, and I think that is certainly a factor in his winning pedigree.

Reactions: The90

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Letang, Rust, Maata, and Guentzel, though they certainly had loads of misses like basically any team without many early picks. And they developed and honed the earlier drafted Malkin, too.

That being said, crediting exclusively Crosby and blaming only McDavid seems like a pretty obviously pushing a perspective. Pittsburgh being a more attractive city and a team more readily competiting are assuredly bigger factors than one dude's system versus another's (and even if it wasn't, that sounds like a coaching issue).
Rust and Guentzel joined in Crosby's 11th and 12th seasons, respectively. The Penguins did a terrible job at drafting/developing until then. And wasted assets on washed up rentals.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I've seen Crosby change his style of play or improve upon weaknesses in his game during the offseason 4-5 times throughout his career (face-offs, goal scoring, deflections, defense, etc) to better his team. McDavid plays the same style and has the same weaknesses as when he entered the league.
This.

Crosby has proven he can excel at playing any style. He improved/improves when there is a glaring weakness.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I agree wholeheartedly. IPn the battle of 'intangibles' - Crosby has a huge leg up on McDavid, and I think that is certainly a factor in his winning pedigree.
Crosby has won a championship with every team he played on since he was 9. McDavid has never won anything as far as I can tell aside from all star tournaments with the red maple leaf on his chest

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McDavid is the clearly better player but I feel like Crosby elevates his linemates way more than McDavid does. McDavid will produce a ton regardless of who you play him with, but Crosby will make his linemates better.

I also think Crosby's play style is much more suited for playoff success than McDavid's playstyle. McDavid generally hasn't been all that good at 5v5 in the playoffs for the Oilers outside of 2022:

2017: 2 points in 13 games at 5v5, +1 goal differential at 5v5 (9 GF, 8 GA)
2020: 4 points in 4 games at 5v5, 0 goal differential at 5v5 (5 GF, 5 GA)
2021: 3 points in 4 games at 5v5, 0 goal differential at 5v5 (4 GF, 4 GA)
2022: 21 points in 16 games at 5v5, +14 goal differential at 5v5 (31 GF, 17 GA)
2023: 7 points in 12 games at 5v5, +1 goal differential at 5v5 (10 GF, 9 GA)

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
For people who think yea well Crosby may be better defensively, more clutch/led his team to cups but McDavid is much better offensively I present to you:
Fj8m2d4XwAIP1rY

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
McDavid I would make way better decisions with the cap and trade acquisitions from Peter Chiarelli onward

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby because he is a winner. McDavid is just some guy that vehemently pursues empty net points and goes home and watches his highlight videos on Youtube.

Crosby leads his generation in empty net points. Glass houses and all that.

For people who think yea well Crosby may be better defensively, more clutch/led his team to cups but McDavid is much better offensively I present to you:
Fj8m2d4XwAIP1rY

In other words you are giving Crosby credit for points and goals he didn't score.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
McDavid is the clearly better player but I feel like Crosby elevates his linemates way more than McDavid does. McDavid will produce a ton regardless of who you play him with, but Crosby will make his linemates better.

This is about as convincing as the 'Toews intangibles' arguments of the early 2010s.

Every top 20 player of all time elevates their linemates to a very large degree, including McDavid (who just had RNH score 100+ points). I'd be intrested to see if you could provide evidence to suggest Crosby's line mates improve at better rates than McDavid's, or Ovechkin's, or any other all-time greats.

As of right now, you guys just say it.

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
So one guy who's won a ton of individual awards and has 3 cups and has an Olympic gold ot winning goal vs a guy with a ton of individual awards? Hmm very hard indeed

Reactions: End of Line

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Prime Crosby vs Prime McDavid in a playoff series. Crosby tilts the ice the whole series imo. The whole story would be can McDavid get away from Crosby.

Biggest concern is injuries but honestly roll it back and Crosby should get luckier.

Reactions: sanscosm

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That was Malkin's Hart season. Look at the roster besides Malkin and Crosby. It's not that impressive.

From the Crosby draft up until 2016, the Pens were going to the New York Rangers University of "we have enough stars, let's surround them with 8 grinders and 4 or 5 immobile defensemen."

It's worked for the Rangers once since FDR was president.

The second the Pens got a bunch of speed and skill on all three lines, they won multiple Cups.

The second they benched MAF*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad