Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
So an OA D on the horizon and a D in the Import draft likely.
The Rangers have 8 signed 07 and 08 forwards and only three signed 07 and 08 d-men.

Looking towards the future, I agree taking a D in the import draft makes sense. That being said, if the BPA / player they cook up a deal with is a forward, you take him. History has shown the last few years that often, taking a 17 year old in the import draft means a taking a player who waits a year before reporting. So F or D may not make a difference in 24-25.

But we will need to address the D for this year. We needed a veteran D before Savard retiring. Now we need two. And we need them on the cheap.

We’re rebuilding so we don’t need high end guys, just a couple decent players.
A 19 year old Jack Harper for a 9th and an OA Justin Nolet for a conditional 15th are the type of deals I’d like to see to fill those holes.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Any confirmation out there?

Confirmation he is done hockey? Yes.
Confirmation because of concussions? No.

Minus Savard update.

Will still will be adding an import (maybe 2) I imagine.

2 OAs still need to be traded.

Forwards - 17
Defence - 6
Goalies - 3

OA - 3
Swick
Pug
Misa
2005 - 3
Rehkopf
Sale
Mercer
2006 - 3
Ellinas
Bott
Hlacar
2007 - 5
Lam
Romano
Stark
Paquette
Labrash
2008 - 3
Headrick
Cameron
Anstis

2005 - 1
Ando
2006 - 2
Campbell
Dirracolo
2007 - 2
Reid
MacNeil
2008 - 1
Bilecki

OA - 2
Parsons
Malboeuf
2007 - 1
Edwards

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
He and the team both posted it. Sorry, I didn't mean to start speculation around the health issues, we just all saw the gauntlet he went through since he came over and it's good that he wants to focus on starting his career as a cop
Still not seeing it? Do you have a link(s)?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
There a 22 year old Olivier Savard that comes up from Quebec that is the closest thing that comes up. That’s all I could find.

You’d think it would be on the Rangers website.

Reactions: rangersblues

Storm and Rangers

Aug 28, 2022
With Savard gone, the Rangers have a VERY young D-Core

Is it something like?

Andonovski-Campbell
Reid-MacNiel
Dirracolo-Bilecki/McLennan

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe the Rangers intend on talking him out of it?
Well make no mistake, we need him.
I had him penciled in for the next two years in Ranger blue.

With Savard gone, the Rangers have a VERY young D-Core

Is it something like?

Andonovski-Campbell
Reid-MacNiel
Dirracolo-Bilecki/McLennan
And when you consider we need to be selling Andonovski …….

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Well make no mistake, we need him.
I had him penciled in for the next two years in Ranger blue.

And when you consider we need to be selling Andonovski …….
I'm sure they'll pick up another vet once Andonoski is dealt. Decent chance an import too. I don't mind giving the young guys a lot of ice time though. This is the year for it.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Wonder where Jacob Xu ended up? Was really hoping they signed him.
If he was worried about ice time, Savard's retirement just opened that up. Hopefully, MM is all over it. Xu is definitely at camp as per these notes from the Sioux Falls camp:

Sioux Falls, SD - The Stampede hosted their 2nd day of Main Tryout Camp on Friday with eight games and over 100 players vying for a spot on the team's training camp roster.

Friday's second game pitted Team Ruhwedel against Team Swayman. Cade Kinnear led the charge with two goals for Team Swayman as they were victorious by a margin of 3-2. Lucas Achim (Jace Panzer) also scored for Team Swayman. Team Ruhwedel goals were scored by Cooper Soller (Alex Sandhu, Jacob Xu) and Maddox Thisdelle.

ALSO.......The evening session of day two began with an offensive explosion by Team Sillinger as they went on to defeat Team Ruhwedel 7-2.

No mention of Xu on day 3. But did learn the following:

Approximately 40 players will play in the final All-Star game on Sunday morning at 10a.m. at the Scheels Iceplex as they compete to make the team's training camp roster in September.

SO we wait..........

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If he was worried about ice time, Savard's retirement just opened that up. Hopefully, MM is all over it. Xu is definitely at camp as per these notes from the Sioux Falls camp:

Sioux Falls, SD - The Stampede hosted their 2nd day of Main Tryout Camp on Friday with eight games and over 100 players vying for a spot on the team's training camp roster.

Friday's second game pitted Team Ruhwedel against Team Swayman. Cade Kinnear led the charge with two goals for Team Swayman as they were victorious by a margin of 3-2. Lucas Achim (Jace Panzer) also scored for Team Swayman. Team Ruhwedel goals were scored by Cooper Soller (Alex Sandhu, Jacob Xu) and Maddox Thisdelle.

ALSO.......The evening session of day two began with an offensive explosion by Team Sillinger as they went on to defeat Team Ruhwedel 7-2.

No mention of Xu on day 3. But did learn the following:

Approximately 40 players will play in the final All-Star game on Sunday morning at 10a.m. at the Scheels Iceplex as they compete to make the team's training camp roster in September.

SO we wait..........
Read that camp report. I was thinking the same thing with Savard moving on. I am sure the Rangers will be trying to convince Xu and his parents to commit. Scouting reports on him is he plays a simple heavy game and is one of the better skaters in this past draft. Guess we wait and see what MM has up his sleeve as far as this season's roster. Hopefully he bites the bullet and goes with a young line up. Most teams like to have a vet or two to mentor the young D. That camp has about 6 teams of 19 players. Mostly all American kids. Players would really have to stand out to make the final roster.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
Well, if the Rangers weren't already targeting a D in the import draft, they are now. I also wouldn't be shocked to see an older player waived in the Q in camp for a look. They have done it before, although I don't recall any sticking with the team.

Will be lots of opportunity for the younger players.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Well, if the Rangers weren't already targeting a D in the import draft, they are now. I also wouldn't be shocked to see an older player waived in the Q in camp for a look. They have done it before, although I don't recall any sticking with the team.

Will be lots of opportunity for the younger players.
As far as the import draft goes, MM will need confirmation on Pobezal prior to.

If he commits, we make one selection. If he doesn’t, we make two.

If we make just one selection, I can see it being an 07 who we are willing to wait to come in 25-26. If we make two, hopefully the second one will be an older D who can step right in and contribute this year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Read that camp report. I was thinking the same thing with Savard moving on. I am sure the Rangers will be trying to convince Xu and his parents to commit. Scouting reports on him is he plays a simple heavy game and is one of the better skaters in this past draft. Guess we wait and see what MM has up his sleeve as far as this season's roster. Hopefully he bites the bullet and goes with a young line up. Most teams like to have a vet or two to mentor the young D. That camp has about 6 teams of 19 players. Mostly all American kids. Players would really have to stand out to make the final roster.
I agree that the void created by Savard creates room for Xu on the roster. But, we can only sign four 16-year-olds to A cards.

I’m all in on Xu. Anything MM can do to get him to sign here and report helps this team big time. That means he’ll likely have to guarantee him an A card. If that happens, who of the four remaining signed 08’s, get the three remaining A cards?

The rule on underagers says your first two picks plus two more can be signed to A cards. Headrick and Bilecki are our first two picks.

So who gets the last A card if Xu is signed? Cameron or Anstis?

Cameron was ranked by many as a late 1st round pick and he slipped to the third round for us to take a “chance” on. Now that he’s signed, it’ll be tough to tell a player of that quality he’ll play JrB this year.

Anstis is American and I’m not sure if he can play JrB in Canada. Not sure the rules or if they’ve changed over the years. (Back in the day, we had a 16 year old American on our roster who practised with the team, rarely got into a game, and couldn’t be sent the JrB because he was from the US). It’ll also be tough to tell Anstis, another higher ranked player we took a “chance” on when he slipped to the 11th round, that he’ll have to play in a lower league next year.

As much as it would be a big win to get Xu signed, it’ll create a bit of a (good) problem in September.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I agree that the void created by Savard creates room for Xu on the roster. But, we can only sign four 16-year-olds to A cards.

I’m all in on Xu. Anything MM can do to get him to sign here and report helps this team big time. That means he’ll likely have to guarantee him an A card. If that happens, who of the four remaining signed 08’s, get the three remaining A cards?

The rule on underagers says your first two picks plus two more can be signed to A cards. Headrick and Bilecki are our first two picks.

So who gets the last A card if Xu is signed? Cameron or Anstis?

Cameron was ranked by many as a late 1st round pick and he slipped to the third round for us to take a “chance” on. Now that he’s signed, it’ll be tough to tell a player of that quality he’ll play JrB this year.

Anstis is American and I’m not sure if he can play JrB in Canada. Not sure the rules or if they’ve changed over the years. (Back in the day, we had a 16 year old American on our roster who practised with the team, rarely got into a game, and couldn’t be sent the JrB because he was from the US). It’ll also be tough to tell Anstis, another higher ranked player we took a “chance” on when he slipped to the 11th round, that he’ll have to play in a lower league next year.

As much as it would be a big win to get Xu signed, it’ll create a bit of a (good) problem in September.
Knights like to give draft picks a year in Jr. B . Gives them a season with older players in B. Some have stepped in the following season in the OHL and contributed almost right off the bat. Not sure about rules on 16 year olds in that case.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Knights like to give draft picks a year in Jr. B . Gives them a season with older players in B. Some have stepped in the following season in the OHL and contributed almost right off the bat. Not sure about rules on 16 year olds in that case.
I thought that Headrick would be a candidate for that. They even say in one of the mock drafts that “there’d be an adjustment period with his size and adapting to the mature physicality of the league”.

But as a 1st round pick, he has to get an A card. (First two picks plus any other two).

Or is there a provision that would allow Headrick to be assigned a B card?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I thought that Headrick would be a candidate for that. They even say in one of the mock drafts that “there’d be an adjustment period with his size and adapting to the mature physicality of the league”.

But as a 1st round pick, he has to get an A card. (First two picks plus any other two).

Really can't see the Rangers not playing Headrick. Say they scouted him intensely.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The rangers can register three more players with A-cards in addition to Headrick.
The rangers coukd guarantee Xu four years if they really like him, but I think it will have to be as an affiliate this season..

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Really can't see the Rangers not playing Headrick. Say they scouted him intensely.
I agree.
But we’re back to: of the five, who gets the B card?
Why would Xu sign this year and accept a B card when he can hold off on that to keep his options open which could result in us eventually losing him to the NCAA.

Would MM take that chance?

The rangers can register three more players with A-cards in addition to Headrick.
The rangers coukd guarantee Xu four years if they really like him, but I think it will have to be as an affiliate this season..
I assume you’re saying the Rangers could “guarantee him four years” means four years education package?

Reactions: East Avenue Bully
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad