Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree. If the Rangers trade Razor they shouldn't have to get into any risky conditionals. This is a challenging year for MM as far as horse trading goes.
In my view, MM has to hit a home run with any trade involving Rehkopf. Rehkopf will be the biggest asset we’d move in a sell off since Jeremy Bracco.

There is no way he can lose a Rehkopf deal at the deadline. He cannot take just any player in return.

A Rehkopf deal for a team’s 08 1st rounder has to be a high end quality for high end quality deal. In other words, I don’t trade Rehkopf to a team for just any 1st round pick because they are a 1st round pick. I trade him for a 1st round pick who’ll be a high end player in their 18 and 19 year old seasons.

For example, I’d be looking for a Rob Thomas return (McMicheal) instead of a Owen Tippett return (Aiden Prueter) or Logan Brown return (Grayson Ladd).

Sure it’s tough to project how a 16 year old will be three years from now. We need to target the 1st round picks from teams that look to go all in this year. We need to scout the crap out of them to find that McMicheal level player. If that player isn’t out there, I think we forgo the Aiden Prueter / Grayson Ladd type player and instead take an expanded package of picks in his place. I’d rather have the extra 2nds and 3rds in the deal instead of an eventual middling player. Then down the road, at the ‘27 deadline, use those picks to go towards dealing for a high end rental.

At the end of the day, in return for for front line player Rehkopf, I want a player who’ll be a front line player in 26-27. That means we get that player either as a 16 year old at the next deadline, or as a top end vet via trade at the 27 deadline. The benefit of that player being a top end 16 year old at this deadline, is that he’d be a top end 19 year old in 27-28 meaning a top end trade asset in his 19 year old season if the Rangers find themselves in the same position they did in the 08-09 rebuild season after hosting in 2008.

As far as an 07 1st rounder being the primary return in a Rehkopf deal, as has been mentioned a while back, any contender going all in next year likely won’t move their 07 1st in rounder as he’ll likely be a big part of their team (ie Brantford’s Jake O’Brien), and if he isn’t, he wouldn’t be elite enough to be good return for Rehkopf anyway.

The only 07 1st rounder that may be made available from a team who may find themselves as an all in team at the deadline is Missy’s Jack Ivankovic. And not only would that be a big maybe in Brampton’s opinion (Ivankovic vs Leanders), it would be a big maybe in our opinion as well if Edwards projects to be genuine by the time the deadline rolls around.

So for me, I don’t see an 07 1st involved in a Rehkopf trade.

Last edited:

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
6th rounder Matt Souter appears to be headed to prep school in New Jersey for lacrosse and Hockey.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
My summer plan would be to trade Sale, Parsons and Mercer for picks.

Sale will be an upgrade on just about every team for import players. With only two imports per team it is better to act early before some teams have their two confirmed.

Parsons will be a tougher player to trade. Not every team will be on the lookout for a goalie and especially one that takes up an overage spot. I like Parsons better than Malboeuf but if Edwards is the goalie of the future than it is easier to split games with Malboeuf as opposed to Parsons in net.

Mercer is a great role player but he is caught in a numbers game. He will be 19 this season and is still a bottom six forward. Some team who could use some depth and penalty killing help could be in to him. I don’t expect much of a return in trade.

To sort the overagers out I would bring all four to camp. Parsons/Malbouef, Swick, Miseljevic, Pugliese. You don’t need to cut down to three until the trade deadline. Swick is the only forward there with value. Teams love players with size so he could be a good trade chip. Miseljevic is your dime a dozen offensive player that every team has and I can’t see him being sought after. Pugliese is the type of player that you want to keep around and groom the young kids. The hustle and hard work he plays with is great to teach. If they can trade one then great but if not then Miseljevic gets cut in my opinion.

If they happen to find another Ellinas or Campbell type of trade then go for it. You can never go wrong with buying low.

At the trade deadline is when they go to sale mode. Rehkopf will represent Kitchener at the World Juniors and be traded then. Andonovski will be very sought after. All playoffs teams want a big and physical defenceman. He is the prototypical trade deadline need. Savard gets traded as once again teams are always after physical defenders as depth.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
  1. Parker Vaughn
  2. Brady Smith
  3. Aiden O’Donnell
  4. Adam Valentini
Barrie and Oshawa feel like the 2 most likely landing spots.

2 part trade in the summer for a player who dropped due to NCAA/BCHL interest?

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With the big trade today (Flint/Sudbury), a possible trade destination for Swick is off the table. Flint picked up two OA’s from Sudbury.

• Wow

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
  1. Parker Vaughn
  2. Brady Smith
  3. Aiden O’Donnell
  4. Adam Valentini

With the big trade today (Flint/Sudbury), a possible trade destination for Swick is off the table. Flint picked up two OA’s from Sudbury.
Yeah, what's up with Flint? They just sent away 16 draft picks in 2 trades? Not understanding it but are they going for it this year?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Sudbury has 12 OAs according to the OA thread. Lots of players for GMs to ponder.
Swick should be of value with his size for sure. No idea what the Ranger plan is going forward but I hope he fills the draft cupboard.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sudbury has 12 OAs according to the OA thread. Lots of players for GMs to ponder.
Swick should be of value with his size for sure. No idea what the Ranger plan is going forward but I hope he fills the draft cupboard.
Swick should be of value. But just how much remains to be seen.

Flint addressed their situation early. Did they do so at a bargain? Or did Sudbury jump on the trade to get value in what they may see as a buyer’s OA market?

It’ll be interesting how MM approaches our OA glut.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Swick should be of value. But just how much remains to be seen.

Flint addressed their situation early. Did they do so at a bargain? Or did Sudbury jump on the trade to get value in what they may see as a buyer’s OA market?

It’ll be interesting how MM approaches our OA glut.
I'm no expert but it seems to me that sending that many draft picks is anything but a bargain. And as far as quality, it is already assumed these guys aren't playing pro anywhere this year. There's always surprise OAs returned - those would be the premium targets.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm no expert but it seems to me that sending that many draft picks is anything but a bargain. And as far as quality, it is already assumed these guys aren't playing pro anywhere this year. There's always surprise OAs returned - those would be the premium targets.
Years ago, Stan Butler was asked how could he give up so many picks when he acquired Cory Emmerton at the deadline. Butler replied that when you have such a deep draft pick cupboard at your disposal, it isn’t hard at all.

Most called it a bargain when we traded 8 picks last deadline for a couple players.

Before Flint made any trades today, they had 26 picks total over the next three drafts in rounds two through five. They still have a relatively healthy draft pick cupboard and they added four vets to go with a pretty good returning group.

By the way, the Rangers have zero picks over the same timeframe same rounds.

Just sayin

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
  1. Parker Vaughn
  2. Brady Smith
  3. Aiden O’Donnell
  4. Adam Valentini

Valentini?

Not sure I want to go there. Rumblings of a problem parent.

Committed to Chicago Steel.

Reactions: frontsfan67

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Lots of OAs out there. Some will obviously take up their education packages and move on. That will clear up some of the log jams teams are dealing with. If they haven't been drafted by an NHL team chances are they will never play pro.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Fair. Zurawski can slot in with the way Flint is dealing.
Despite Flint still having a healthy draft pick cupboard, they are a little thin of tradeable 2nds. That may have them putting Zurawski on the table at the deadline.

One of the 08 1st’s I’d be scouting the crap out of in the event Flint is a trade partner for Rehkopf.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
there may be well over 100 OAs for 60, maybe 70 spots to start; but there were really only 3-4 good OA RD and RW available. Flint had obviously targeted those two positions and the brother of a 6'5" 220lb prospect drafted this year. That's a good day imo.

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Despite Flint still having a healthy draft pick cupboard, they are a little thin of tradeable 2nds. That may have them putting Zurawski on the table at the deadline.

One of the 08 1st’s I’d be scouting the crap out of in the event Flint is a trade partner for Rehkopf.
Wonder if Razor has a NTC and will only commit to going to certain teams?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Savard has retired from hockey. Interesting move with a year of eligibility still left but I imagine this is more related to his concussion history.
Look for the Rangers to bring in an OA D to fill that void.

We were already thin of vets on the backend. Now it’s Andonovski and everyone else is younger.

Reactions: Gondrex

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Look for the Rangers to bring in an OA D to fill that void.

We were already thin of vets on the backend. Now it’s Andonovski and everyone else is younger.
Guarantee one of the teams that would be looking to pounce on Andonovski would be the fronts if he is made available. They probably don’t have the parts for a Rehkopf but I could see them trying to get swick and Andonovski from you guys. Would probably have to give up weir, maybe Williamson + picks. Both have lots of potential

Don’t think any moves for swick or Andonovski are made for a few months though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad