Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I agree.
But we’re back to: of the five, who gets the B card?
Why would Xu sign this year and accept a B card when he can hold off on that to keep his options open which could result in us eventually losing him to the NCAA.

Would MM take that chance?

I assume you’re saying the Rangers could “guarantee him four years” means four years education package?
I think Xu was a flyer at best when they drafted him. Seemed to be quite a few players this year not fully committed to the OHL. I have no idea of what Ranger's intentions are at any given time. Xu may have no intention of ever playing in the OHL for all I know. I just liked what I read about the player. Watching clips of him playing he had that physical edge and seemed to make a good first pass out of the defensive end smoothly.
As far as education packages go I plead ignorance. Not at all sure how they hand those out and who gets them.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think Xu was a flyer at best when they drafted him. Seemed to be quite a few players this year not fully committed to the OHL. I have no idea of what Ranger's intentions are at any given time. Xu may have no intention of ever playing in the OHL for all I know. I just liked what I read about the player. Watching clips of him playing he had that physical edge and seemed to make a good first pass out of the defensive end smoothly.
As far as education packages go I plead ignorance. Not at all sure how they hand those out and who gets them.
True. But he may have been a flyer for Sioux Falls as well considering he didn’t go first couple rounds in their draft, him being as highly ranked as he was.

That, along with him not yet committing there, when others have long committed to leagues other than the OHL, gives me room for optimism.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Everyone gets the standard package of a year's minimum (tuition & books) scholarship per year played and we can have up to 7 'gold packages' on the books where a four year scholarship including room & board is guaranteed upon one game played. Safe to assume that all 1st rounders on roster probably have gold packages, maybe other coveted players we signed and anyone we gave one to that's still within 18 months of OHL OA eligibility holds their option.

We probably can't hand Xu a gold package 'off the shelf' so he's exploring USHL/NCAA options if he's academically inclined. Sioux Falls, nice as it is, really is a very different place in the world than the GTA which may tilt in our favour.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Everyone gets the standard package of a year's minimum (tuition & books) scholarship per year played and we can have up to 7 'gold packages' on the books where a four year scholarship including room & board is guaranteed upon one game played. Safe to assume that all 1st rounders on roster probably have gold packages, maybe other coveted players we signed and anyone we gave one to that's still within 18 months of OHL OA eligibility holds their option.

We probably can't hand Xu a gold package 'off the shelf' so he's exploring USHL/NCAA options if he's academically inclined. Sioux Falls, nice as it is, really is a very different place in the world than the GTA which may tilt in our favour.
If the league really wants to keep attracting the top talent it wouldn't hurt to raise the number of Gold Packages each team can offer to 8 or 9. I'm pretty sure they have the means to do so. Also, a lot of the players getting the Gold Packages are top players that never use them.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If the league really wants to keep attracting the top talent it wouldn't hurt to raise the number of Gold Packages each team can offer to 8 or 9. I'm pretty sure they have the means to do so. Also, a lot of the players getting the Gold Packages are top players that never use them.

I think the reason they cap it at seven is to not give richer teams unfair advantages.

Teams pay for these gold packages and the Londons and Kitcheners of the world can easily give out an infinite amount while teams that haven’t watch their dollars and cents cannot.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
At least offer a guaranteed standard four years. The better players not going pro with good grades will get room plus board from Canadian universities

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think the reason they cap it at seven is to not give richer teams unfair advantages.

Teams pay for these gold packages and the Londons and Kitcheners of the world can easily give out an infinite amount while teams that haven’t watch their dollars and cents cannot.
I do agree with the cap for the reason you state. I just think it's a little low.

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020

How would the league monitor that?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Can people see Misaljevic being traded to a team with OA slots available for a veteran (2005/2006) D-Man?
I personally don’t think he has any trade value.

He was great the first half of the year and in the top 10 in points for a while. The second half of the year happened and he was not very productive.

He is pretty small, doesn’t play a physical game, doesn’t kill penalties. He is there for his offence and last year at 19 was his first productive year. So small sample size. I don’t think that he would be too big of an upgrade to most teams for an overage spot.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

He was great the first half of the year and in the top 10 in points for a while. The second half of the year happened and he was not very productive.

He is pretty small, doesn’t play a physical game, doesn’t kill penalties. He is there for his offence and last year at 19 was his first productive year. So small sample size. I don’t think that he would be too big of an upgrade to most teams for an overage spot.
With the stats he had Kitchener may get at most a 3rd and 5th and more likely a 4th and a 5th. Connor Lockhart who had 79 points with the Petes in 2022-2023 was traded for a 3rd and a 5th last season.

Reactions: frontsfan67

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I don’t think he has a ton of trade value either. So the D man we’d get in return (the question asked) would be of comparable value.

Reactions: rangersblues

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Did anyone go to the meeting that was open to the public last night? Anything note worthy come out of it?

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
Did anyone go to the meeting that was open to the public last night? Anything note worthy come out of it?
Nothing really… just about the process of the committee moving from 39 to 9 over the next year. The current 9 executives will serve as the 9 person committee for this season and then an official process will take place to fill it next year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Curious. Any mention of how they’ll replace the volunteer contributions of the members who’re now no longer part of the directorship.

Or will those people still be status quo in all facets except they are no longer actual directors?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Curious. Any mention of how they’ll replace the volunteer contributions of the members who’re now no longer part of the directorship.

Or will those people still be status quo in all facets except they are no longer actual directors?
The few I know won't be around if there is nothing in it for them. There were some that previously got season tickets for life before these changes.

Reactions: rangersblues

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
True. But he may have been a flyer for Sioux Falls as well considering he didn’t go first couple rounds in their draft, him being as highly ranked as he was.

That, along with him not yet committing there, when others have long committed to leagues other than the OHL, gives me room for optimism.
And I'd be interested to know whether Xu made the final top 40 at that camp who will go on to Sioux Falls August team camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad