Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
1725533018948.png

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I think at this point it's just a wait and see on a couple different things.

a) Where does Malhotra get traded to for a 15th and a ton of conditionals?
b) Do they make a move for an OA before the season starts? At this point this seems less likely but it may depend on if players are sent back (Wakely?).
c) Do they make a big splash? The main one is Mews but who knows maybe Barlow is in play (spoiler alert - 95% no).
d) Do they shore up their depth? With McQuaig and Kelly wearing shields in the preseason it's likely they start the year on B cards, meaning only 12 forwards currently on A cards. Maybe they start the year on these B cards and end up transitioning to an A card? 14 F is the bare minimum they should have and the second an injury or two the forwards will be strained. 7D is also stretching them thin.
e) A little further down the line - do they prepare at all for missing players during the WJC? The Fronts will lose Pieininiemi and probably Uronen for the balance of the tournament, as well as possibly Burns during WJC camp (chances are slim to none he'll make the team though).

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
I think at this point it's just a wait and see on a couple different things.

a) Where does Malhotra get traded to for a 15th and a ton of conditionals?
b) Do they make a move for an OA before the season starts? At this point this seems less likely but it may depend on if players are sent back (Wakely?).
c) Do they make a big splash? The main one is Mews but who knows maybe Barlow is in play (spoiler alert - 95% no).
d) Do they shore up their depth? With McQuaig and Kelly wearing shields in the preseason it's likely they start the year on B cards, meaning only 12 forwards currently on A cards. Maybe they start the year on these B cards and end up transitioning to an A card? 14 F is the bare minimum they should have and the second an injury or two the forwards will be strained. 7D is also stretching them thin.
e) A little further down the line - do they prepare at all for missing players during the WJC? The Fronts will lose Pieininiemi and probably Uronen for the balance of the tournament, as well as possibly Burns during WJC camp (chances are slim to none he'll make the team though).

How about Andrew Gibson? 👀

Kingston has a player that is very good friends with Brady Martin

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
How about Andrew Gibson? 👀

Kingston has a player that is very good friends with Brady Martin
Assuming that’s Hopkins- don’t think they’d trade him. If it’s weir I could see it. Hopkins is bound for a big breakout year and will be apart of the future the next 2 years when these other guys age out/get traded.

One thing for sure though is the fronts need to really beef up that 2nd d pair

Reactions: JoeSchmo

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Assuming that’s Hopkins- don’t think they’d trade him. If it’s weir I could see it. Hopkins is bound for a big breakout year and will be apart of the future the next 2 years when these other guys age out/get traded.

One thing for sure though is the fronts need to really beef up that 2nd d pair
Gibson is top paring guy

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If he is defective, why would anyone trade for him?
Defected, not defective lol. He's not broken.

But because all it costs is a 15th round pick and maybe he hates the BCHL team/NCAA school he goes to and wants to come play for you. KIT just did it with Valentini despite it being pretty common knowledge he has no interest. But now they can try to convince him. And worst case scenario they only lose a 15th.

KGN has until Sept 15 to trade Malhotra or they don't get the comp 1st next year

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

But because all it costs is a 15th round pick and maybe he hates the BCHL team/NCAA school he goes to and wants to come play for you. KIT just did it with Valentini despite it being pretty common knowledge he has no interest. But now they can try to convince him. And worst case scenario they only lose a 15th.

KGN has until Sept 15 to trade Malhotra or they don't get the comp 1st next year
OH! Defected! That’s completely different.

They don’t need to trade Malhotra. They only need to declare him defected. But, once they do declare him defected, they have that short window to trade him.

By declaring him defected and accepting the 1st round pick, they release his rights. I assume he could be picked next year in the U-18.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
OH! Defected! That’s completely different.

They don’t need to trade Malhotra. They only need to declare him defected. But, once they do declare him defected, they have that short window to trade him.

By declaring him defected and accepting the 1st round pick, they release his rights. I assume he could be picked next year in the U-18.

He won’t be playing U18

If declared defective and not traded, I believe just one team would have to request Maholtra be put on the central draft list to be eligible for the OHL priority draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He won’t be playing U18

I believe just one team would have to have Maholtra on the central draft list to be eligible for the OHL priority draft.

That’s right. I forgot. Players in the U-18draft are not eligible if they are playing Junior.

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Any idea who you think will roll the dice? Guelph? London? Kitchener… AGAIN?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Would you buy a defective product at the store?
OMG67 surely you remember when they used to have scratch-and-dent sales

I think FF means that he is hoping for a Molnaur-type trade, a 12th round plus a lot of picks if he shows up.

I do not think anyone other than London is going to bother.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
OMG67 surely you remember when they used to have scratch-and-dent sales

I think FF means that he is hoping for a Molnaur-type trade, a 12th round plus a lot of picks if he shows up.

I do not think anyone other than London is going to bother.
Beast all a team has to do is send a 15th round pick with a couple conditionals. If they do that they have the rights. Otherwise I believe he can be entered in the U18 draft and there is less control with that for all teams

Regardless the fronts get their extra first round pick.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beast all a team has to do is send a 15th round pick with a couple conditionals. If they do that they have the rights. Otherwise I believe he can be entered in the U18 draft and there is less control with that for all teams

The Moldenaur trade is exactly what you are talking about. The player got traded for a 15th-round plus conditional pick if he came back to the OHL. They were based on the year he came back. The catch to it is that the team can not use those picks in any other trade.

So the Fronts get the pick and anything they can salvage, but really, a 15th round is not going to do anything. so all you are getting is the extra first.

Hopefully, Cooper can do something with it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

He wouldn’t be playing U-18 hockey so he wouldn’t be eligible for that draft. He’d have to go through the Priority again.

Also, some teams have shown little interest in tying up picks in conditional trades long term. They lose those trade assets. A team like NB last year may have loved having those Fantilli conditional picks at the deadline.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Do any other teams have this long of a break between pre-season games? It's kinda annoying as a fan because there's absolutely nothing to talk about...

I don't know why Shewfelt is playing CCHL games - unless it's just go keep his legs under him while until the next pre-season game? At this point an injury to any players would use up all their depth.

I was trying to find some info on NHL training camps to see who and when we'd be missing them but not a ton of teams have lists out - St. Louis's is the 19th-22nd so he'll miss the last two preseason games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad