Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
No word on where Salajko ended up? Assuming he leaves OHL, what happens with his education deal - he'll get one year of tuition/expenses?
depends on what the agreement was, he could have 1 year, he could have 4

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Happened to notice the Pre-Season Roster on the website has been updated - 13 F, 7D and 3G.

Pickell is on the list along with McQuaig, Kelly and Buttar.

Interestingly - Jakub Chromiak IS on the D list, - it might just be a simple copy/paste error, but they switched his # from 7 to 37, however it's not 100% because there's two #11s listed with McGowan and Guindon so who knows.

Other new numbers - PIckell #12, Uronen #8, McQuaig #20, Buttar #22, Kelly #47k, Pieniniemi #7, Betts #43, Lalonde #79 and Guindon maybe #11?

The fact Pickell is on the list and the other '05 FA O'Keefe is interesting - maybe more highly regarded

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Happened to notice the Pre-Season Roster on the website has been updated - 13 F, 7D and 3G.

Pickell is on the list along with McQuaig, Kelly and Buttar.

Interestingly - Jakub Chromiak IS on the D list, - it might just be a simple copy/paste error, but they switched his # from 7 to 37, however it's not 100% because there's two #11s listed with McGowan and Guindon so who knows.

Other new numbers - PIckell #12, Uronen #8, McQuaig #20, Buttar #22, Kelly #47k, Pieniniemi #7, Betts #43, Lalonde #79 and Guindon maybe #11?

The fact Pickell is on the list and the other '05 FA O'Keefe is interesting - maybe more highly regarded
I think it’s funny they have a list already.

What’s the point of training camp if you already have a team made?

Really hoping they don’t bring Chromiak back. Maybe he is on the list because he is coming back to the OHL- even though he will be traded.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I assume they have signed Pickell and it hasn't been made public yet. Are the 08's listed signed?
Yeah all the 08s listed are signed - that was kinda what I was thinking but then I remembered last year they had Wylie Birkett on their preseason roster and he never ended up getting signed so it could still just be a tryout.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think it’s funny they have a list already.

What’s the point of training camp if you already have a team made?

Really hoping they don’t bring Chromiak back. Maybe he is on the list because he is coming back to the OHL- even though he will be traded.
First question Is Chromiak in camp?

I can see Mann paring down the list to players he is going with and a few to fill in the gaps from NHL rookie camps.

Training camp is the time to get the team playing the style tht you want. as I talked about earlier there really was only 3 positions on the team open so why not let the players who are not going to make it go home to other teams and start working and building the lines that you want to start the year with and develop not only the skills but the ability to play 3 periods.

It makes more sense than having a lot of players. This way, he can start building the team and drilling them to play the way he wants them to this year.

That is the way camps used to be you had a bunch of kids show up for the first 2 days. Cut the ones that were not going to make it.
Then you worked with the rest and gave the ones tht had a chance to make it a shot.

Actually, I think they had their list of who was going to play done before they even started training camp. Then you have a few that surprise you either because they are better than you thought or not as good.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Kitchener fans...do you know if the preseason games you're hosting (even the non Kitchener ones) this weekend will be streaming anywhere online or if they'll be on the CHL app?

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I'm more and more thinking Pickell is signed - he's the only publicly unsigned player wearing a visor.

McQuaig, Kelly and Buttar are all also wearing visors.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Here is my opinion after the first scrimmage. Remember I am not a scout I just play one on here. The veterans looked good. Williamson and Vellaris were so-so. As for the rookies the one that stood out to me was Adam Kelly, tireless worker around the puck and a very good skater. Max Shewfelt looked good and so did Gavin Betts in net. They played for Team Gold. As for Team Black Buttar and McQuaig each scored and looked good. Drake Sled had a nice game and Tanner Nettleton made some nice quick decisions on defence. FA Pickell looked strong and will make the team. The one who disappointed me was Ethan Weir. He skating style is awkward and looked out of shape and not strong on his skates. Again just my opinion. Maybe after tonights scrimmage opinions will change.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
How are they looking?
For me McQuaig was easily the most impressive of the '08s. Him and Buttar were listed at the same height but McQuaig looked and played bigger. He had a really nice goal were he faked going behind the net and tucked it in short side.

Pieniniemi unfortunately didn't play so I didn't get to see anything on him.

Hopkins looked dynamic and notably more filled out, played with Soto and Battaglia for most of the scrimmage.

The gold team was definitely weaker, but I really didn't notice Guindon stand out like I would've expected.

I felt Weir had some flashes but not a lot of consistency, he definitely is going to get a look in the top 6 considering he played a fair bit with Guindon and Miedema.

Mondoux is a big dude that plays physical and is solid defensively but there's not a lot else there, skating is questionable and stick skills are whatever is lower than questionable.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Here is my opinion after the first scrimmage. Remember I am not a scout I just play one on here. The veterans looked good. Williamson and Vellaris were so-so. As for the rookies the one that stood out to me was Adam Kelly, tireless worker around the puck and a very good skater. Max Shewfelt looked good and so did Gavin Betts in net. They played for Team Gold. As for Team Black Buttar and McQuaig each scored and looked good. Drake Sled had a nice game and Tanner Nettleton made some nice quick decisions on defence. FA Pickell looked strong and will make the team. The one who disappointed me was Ethan Weir. He skating style is awkward and looked out of shape and not strong on his skates. Again just my opinion. Maybe after tonights scrimmage opinions will change.
How are they looking?
I would say that Zaluty's take is fairly accurate. I agree with most of it. I will reserve giving my opinions until after watching them go again tonight - except for one. When if ever is Miedema going to figure it out? Try playing with at least an ounce of energy or effort. So frustrating.

Pickell looked great and can confirm that he is signed.

Couple big open ice hits.

Looking fwd to tonight's scrimmage now that some them have the nerves out and probably received some feedback from the coaches.

• Wow

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
For me McQuaig was easily the most impressive of the '08s. Him and Buttar were listed at the same height but McQuaig looked and played bigger. He had a really nice goal were he faked going behind the net and tucked it in short side.

Pieniniemi unfortunately didn't play so I didn't get to see anything on him.

Hopkins looked dynamic and notably more filled out, played with Soto and Battaglia for most of the scrimmage.

The gold team was definitely weaker, but I really didn't notice Guindon stand out like I would've expected.

I felt Weir had some flashes but not a lot of consistency, he definitely is going to get a look in the top 6 considering he played a fair bit with Guindon and Miedema.

Mondoux is a big dude that plays physical and is solid defensively but there's not a lot else there, skating is questionable and stick skills are whatever is lower than questionable.
Guidon is probably going to be closer to what you were use to seeing out of Wright but less skilled.
Not a flashy player but focus's on his 2 way game with a D first mindset.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I’m not going to 5 o clock scrimmage here either. Would appreciate anybody’s insight on how it goes. Would especially like to know about pieniniemi assuming he plays this one.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
I would say that Zaluty's take is fairly accurate. I agree with most of it. I will reserve giving my opinions until after watching them go again tonight - except for one. When if ever is Miedema going to figure it out? Try playing with at least an ounce of energy or effort. So frustrating.

Pickell looked great and can confirm that he is signed.

Couple big open ice hits.

Looking fwd to tonight's scrimmage now that some them have the nerves out and probably received some feedback from the coaches.
I already know you have an inside track on this team.

Could you please let us all know who had the big open ice hits???

Shouldn’t be any nerves left after the skating test yesterday.
I’m sure some kids would have received feedback on their conditioning after being away from the Fronts squad for almost 5 months.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Miedema is going to get a very rude awakening at the Sabres' rookie camp. I expect that he will not get a contract and that he will be told what he needs to show this year to even get offered something.

Unfortunately, some kids think that once they are drafted, they are done having to show what they have or make the necessary changes.

I can see him either traded or put on the 3rd line if he does not wake up.

Guindon does not really have to show much in Camp as a player they traded for. He is a lock to make the team. He may also be making sure he does not pull or injure something before NHL camp.

Any returning player who came to camp out of shape should be shot for stupidity. They knew going in that Mann was not Caputi.

Remember Weir is a rookie so it will be interesting.

Reading here I see the first 2 lines already playing together sort of. I imagine Uronen will be with Guindon.

I am looking forward to the Ottawa game to see what they both look like on the ice.

When do the players start to leave for NHL camps, and who from Kingston is going?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Miedema is going to get a very rude awakening at the Sabres' rookie camp. I expect that he will not get a contract and that he will be told what he needs to show this year to even get offered something.
Unfortunately, some kids think that once they are drafted, they are done having to show what they have or make the necessary changes.
I can see him either traded or put on the 3rd line if he does not wake up.
Oddly enough I’ve heard a couple times on here he is one of the ones that wants out but wasn’t actively pushing like frasca and Thibodeau. I think they have to trade him.

Haven’t looked but perhaps there is a 19 year old in the league 6’4 forward in the east that is nhl drafted that has also been struggling?

Oh wait- there is. Honestly I’d like the trade 1 for 1 it would be good for both Sudbury and kingston- pharand for Miedema. Both need a change in scenery.

Edit- I assume it wouldn’t happen hypothetically before the season though.
Reading here I see the first 2 lines already playing together sort of. I imagine Uronen will be with Guindon.
This would be ideal for me. And would love Hopkins to get a shot with Battaglia and Soto. Atleast to start the year and see what you have.

When do the players start to leave for NHL camps, and who from Kingston is going?
Believe last year burns and ludwinski played 2 games then left. Year before they played 1. Either way I think they play vs Ottawa on Sunday atleast.

Last edited:
Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Oddly enough I’ve heard a couple times on here he is one of the ones that wants out but wasn’t actively pushing like frasca and Thibodeau. I think they have to trade him.

Haven’t looked but perhaps there is a 19 year old in the league 6’4 forward in the east that is nhl drafted that has also been struggling?

Oh wait- there is. Honestly I’d like the trade 1 for 1 it would be good for both Sudbury and kingston- pharand for Miedema. Both need a change in scenery.

Edit- I assume it wouldn’t happen hypothetically before the season though.

This would be ideal for me. And would love Hopkins to get a shot with Battaglia and Soto. Atleast to start the year and see what you have.

Believe last year burns and ludwinski played 2 games then left. Year before they played 1. Either way I think they play vs Ottawa on Sunday atleast.

The Fronts are going to wait and see what Buffalo does. Just as people talked about Mann and the Pens with Pie, I would not be surprised if the Scouts and Mann have not talked about Miedema. It may be a case of where he deserves to play. If the Sabres come back to Mann and say they really do not care about him and are letting him go ( a la Moon in his day) then I would be looking at them trading him for picks to a team like Windsor and then taking the picks to fill the hole.

The last thing that the wolves are going to want is a problem child. If no one wants him then simply put him on the 4th line and let him either wake up or rot. There is nothing wrong with having a player sit in the stands for a few games and watch his career wave bye bye

Besdies those drafted are there any other Frotns gong to NHL camps

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Meidema for Pharrand makes no sense at all. Kingston has Soto, Uronen, Weir, and Battaglia who should be RW; and Kingston does not need another 3rd line centre. All of the wolves top talent is LW/LC.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
I already know you have an inside track on this team.

Could you please let us all know who had the big open ice hits???

Shouldn’t be any nerves left after the skating test yesterday.
I’m sure some kids would have received feedback on their conditioning after being away from the Fronts squad for almost 5 months.
Well there were two hits that stood out in scrimmage that got the reaction from the crowd and the black teams' bench. The first was McGowan catching (Baker) I think trying to beat him on a rush in front of the black bench. It was a big hit and unfortunately the kid's cage caught McGowan in the mouth and he needed some attention on the bench. The second one was Uens caught Weir coming across the high slot with his head down. Was good to see them pat each other afterwards and agree with Zaluty that Weir looked better in the second scrimmage.

Not sure I agree with your retort about the nerves. The young kids/rookies and anyone else there trying to crack a roster spot would 100% be nervous in their first scrimmage/game like situation with the vets, regardless of the conditioning tests and getting that out of the way. Furthermore, only 10 players passed the skating test and they were all returning players so the rookies prob felt even more stress about needing to impress. And I didn't mean anything about getting feedback from the coaches on their conditioning, I meant feedback on their style of play and what the coaches would like to see more of from them - like physicality, quicker puck movement, being first to loose pucks, etc. etc. My apologies if they way I had worded that came out wrong.
********************************************************************************************************
Some quick takes after watching the two practices and scrimmages yesterday.

-Can't believe I am saying this as I'm often hard on the kid, but McNamara was one of the most impressive fwds. Some of the stuff he was doing he may not get away with in a real game holding the puck that long, but he was doing it and impressively.

-Pickell has a great engine and compete level. He's Mann's type of player.

Going to be a real battle for the pecking order in the 3rd and 4th line spots. A few of my buddies and I were

Previous post was cut off for some reason. My apologies...

Well there were two hits that stood out in scrimmage that got the reaction from the crowd and the black teams' bench. The first was McGowan catching (Baker) I think trying to beat him on a rush in front of the black bench. It was a big hit and unfortunately the kid's cage caught McGowan in the mouth and he needed some attention on the bench. The second one was Uens caught Weir coming across the high slot with his head down. Was good to see them pat each other afterwards and agree with Zaluty that Weir looked better in the second scrimmage.

Not sure I agree with your retort about the nerves. The young kids/rookies and anyone else there trying to crack a roster spot would 100% be nervous in their first scrimmage/game like situation with the vets, regardless of the conditioning tests and getting that out of the way. Furthermore, only 10 players passed the skating test and they were all returning players so the rookies prob felt even more stress about needing to impress. And I didn't mean anything about getting feedback from the coaches on their conditioning, I meant feedback on their style of play and what the coaches would like to see more of from them - like physicality, quicker puck movement, being first to loose pucks, etc. etc. My apologies if they way I had worded that came out wrong.
********************************************************************************************************

-Can't believe I am saying this as I'm often hard on the kid, but McNamara was one of the most impressive fwds. Some of the stuff he was doing he may not get away with in a real game holding the puck that long, but he was doing it and impressively.

-Going to be a real battle for the pecking order in the 3rd and 4th line spots. A few of my buddies and I were impressed with the likes of Pickell, Weir, Buttar, McQuaig, and Kelly.

-Hayes looked good as well.

-Don't think Miedema even wants to be here.

-Bataglia, Guindon, Hopkins, and Soto were all good. It's obvious that Guindon has another gear to show.

-As for the D

-Burns is one of my faves but feel he really struggled yesterday. I think he even knows it himself with his body language, showing signs of frustration. I'm sure he will be better today.

-McGowan is often considered the odd man out but he was the best D on the ice yesterday imo.

-Uens was buzzing around pretty good

-Looks like Vellaris has taken some steps fwd as we all hoped. Based on yesterday I feel that he could have a chance to pass Williamson in the pecking order.

-Pienemini is going to be D1. I think we have a beauty there.

Didn't see any surprises back there in terms of anyone playing there way on the roster that is not already signed.

All just my opinions.

See you at the rink!

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

Going to be a real battle for the pecking order in the 3rd and 4th line spots. A few of my buddies and I were

Previous post was cut off for some reason. My apologies...

-Going to be a real battle for the pecking order in the 3rd and 4th line spots. A few of my buddies and I were impressed with the likes of Pickell, Weir, Buttar, McQuaig, and Kelly.

-Hayes looked good as well.

-Don't think Miedema even wants to be here.

-Bataglia, Guindon, Hopkins, and Soto were all good. It's obvious that Guindon has another gear to show.

-As for the D

-Burns is one of my faves but feel he really struggled yesterday. I think he even knows it himself with his body language, showing signs of frustration. I'm sure he will be better today.

-McGowan is often considered the odd man out but he was the best D on the ice yesterday imo.

-Uens was buzzing around pretty good

-Looks like Vellaris has taken some steps fwd as we all hoped. Based on yesterday I feel that he could have a chance to pass Williamson in the pecking order.

-Pienemini is going to be D1. I think we have a beauty there.

Didn't see any surprises back there in terms of anyone playing there way on the roster that is not already signed.

All just my opinions.

See you at the rink!
Who do you think is the 7th D right now? That's the one thing I was trying to watch for because it seems like there's a consensus top 6 with Burns, Pieniniemi, Uens, McGowan, Velliaris, Williamson, but no one has really stood out. They can't go into the season with only 6 signed, so if I had to pick it's probably Moore or Mondoux, but neither inspires a ton of confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad