Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I forgot about Lalonde. If Kingston is a team looking to be a contender, having an OA sit on their bench as a backup is moronic. Go get a reasonable decent 19 year old. They are usually pretty cheap. I cannot see Lalonde still on that roster come the deadline when so many highly capable OA’s will be available cheap. Of course, that assumes Vaccari has no issues as a starter. I like Vaccari so I doubt that would be the case.
Vaccari is not a quality starting goalie in OHL.
I'd be hard pressed to believe Vaccari is going to play more games then the NHL signed goalie that has the size that he is missing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would agree with you, I’m just not sure who the 19 year old would be. plus, cooper is pretty tight with lalonde so I’m it sure how easy he would cut him

Then the Fronts aren’t serious contenders. You cannot have an OA backup as a contender. Too many holes on the roster to do that.

I'd be hard pressed to believe Vaccari is going to play more games then the NHL signed goalie that has the size that he is missing.

If Lalonde ends up the starter, then it is justified. But, if he is the backup? No way you keep an OA backup. Jsut silliness.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Then the Fronts aren’t serious contenders. You cannot have an OA backup as a contender. Too many holes on the roster to do that.

If Lalonde ends up the starter, then it is justified. But, if he is the backup? No way you keep an OA backup. Jsut silliness.
Didn't Ottawa have an OA backup goalie last season in Donoso in a season when they were going for it?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
M cup and playoff experience too. I think they’ll play both pretty equally and then next year vaccari is the starter probably plays about 45 games to Betts’ 23 and then he ages out and Betts takes over as the starter from then
Didn't Ottawa have an OA backup goalie last season in Donoso in a season when they were going for it?
Traded donoso at the deadline

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Yes. They waived him and replaced him with a more impactful skater at the deadline. This is what I would expect from Kingston and Brampton if both end up with a backup OA temporarily. The pull to compete at a higher level will force them to move the OA goalie, put their eggs in one basket for a starter and roll with the additional impact skater.

Sarnia did it with Gaudreau a couple seasons ago as well.

If you are a contender with an OA goalie, it is usually an elite goalie that makes a significant impact. Simpson is a great example. If he returns, DiVin would be one as well. If MacK proves to be healthy, he would be one this year. His health is in question though. I am not sure a contender would roll the dice on his health.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
M cup and playoff experience too. I think they’ll play both pretty equally and then next year vaccari is the starter probably plays about 45 games to Betts’ 23 and then he ages out and Betts takes over as the starter from then

Traded donoso at the deadline

Lalonde doesn’t have Memorial Cup experience any more than a rookie that sat in the press box eating popcorn.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Lalonde doesn’t have Memorial Cup experience any more than a rookie that sat in the press box eating popcorn.
He was there for all the games watching the action- seeing how it is etc. worked out well for Liam Sztuska backing up Michael Simpson.

Reactions: Section5Petes

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
He was there for all the games watching the action- seeing how it is etc. worked out well for Liam Sztuska backing up Michael Simpson.
I don't think that furthers his development in any way.

The OHL west final experience on the other hand is huge playing in a series like that in a barn like London when he had to cover Oke through injury.

People a lot smarter then any of us here signed him to an NHL contract.

Vaccari is a bottom tier OHL goalie that never really should have been a starter with his size.
He also has to battle through a nervous tick or twitch or call if whatever doesnt hurt your feelings but trying to play with it would be incredibly difficult.
I know people here got upset last time i mentioned that but anyone with a brain that's watched him play should understand how difficult this would be and the distraction it would cause when playing.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The OHL west final experience on the other hand is huge playing in a series like that in a barn like London when he had to cover Oke through injury.
Oh absolutely and that London team will be better than any team in the ohl this year probably except for maybe Brampton (and London if they bring back Cowan, bonk, Dickinson)
Vaccari is a bottom tier OHL goalie that never really should have been a starter with his size.
He also has to battle through a nervous tick or twitch or call if whatever doesnt hurt your feelings but trying to play with it would be incredibly difficult.
Yeah you see some of these top tier even OHL goalies- all calm, cool and collected. Goalies have to endure a lot of mental preparation.
I know people here got upset last time i mentioned that but anyone with a brain that's watched him play should understand how difficult this would be and the distraction it would cause when playing.
I completely agree however for the majority of hfboards.. opinions>facts

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think that furthers his development in any way.

People a lot smarter then any of us here signed him to an NHL contract.

Again, if the purpose is for Lalonde to be the #1 Starter with Vaccari being the #2 backup, then it is a different story completely. I have no issues with an OA goalie provided he is you #1 starter with no question they will get the vast majority of the games and will play all healthy playoff minutes. There have been a ton of solid OA Goalies that have made a significant impact.

The question is whether Lalonde is the right guy. Even on a stellar team he rode an .874 save%. That is pretty weak. He did play relatively well against London so I give him credit for that. But that is just one playoff series. Two if you want to consider SSM as well. Michelone put up similar numbers in Ottawa and I don’t think anyone is going to be beating down his door trying to acquire his rights.

Maybe Lalonde is the answer but I have to think there are better answers out there at a reasonable price.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Kingston must have released Adam

Attachments

• IMG_4666.png
    IMG_4666.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
They don't have enough forwards as it is and now they've lost another one.....

I hope there's something up the sleeve because banking on training camp bodies to fill out the bottom 6 isn't a recipe for success...

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They don't have enough forwards as it is and now they've lost another one.....

I hope there's something up the sleeve because banking on training camp bodies to fill out the bottom 6 isn't a recipe for success...
Looking more and more like that 4th line may be made up of rookies.

I assume they have 3 real good lines and then the 4th line that gets maybe 1 or 2 shifts a period.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Poole is confirmed gone released & signed in Haliburton played for them tonight
If he wasn’t injury prone I’m sure some bottom dweller would’ve taken him for the leadership, toughness, PK ability and faceoffs once they are in full sell mode. Unfortunate about his injuries but good for him atleast playing 4 years of junior hockey

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If he wasn’t injury prone I’m sure some bottom dweller would’ve taken him for the leadership, toughness, PK ability and faceoffs once they are in full sell mode. Unfortunate about his injuries but good for him atleast playing 4 years of junior hockey

The challenge is already in motion. Too many capable OA’s. Not enough teams have space and even those that are in sell mode have excess OA’s or at least access to them. This just accentuates the fact that guys that would still hang in for another year are not in as good a position this season.

We are going to see some deadline shockers with some paltry trade values on some pretty good OA’s.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Again, if the purpose is for Lalonde to be the #1 Starter with Vaccari being the #2 backup, then it is a different story completely. I have no issues with an OA goalie provided he is you #1 starter with no question they will get the vast majority of the games and will play all healthy playoff minutes. There have been a ton of solid OA Goalies that have made a significant impact.

The question is whether Lalonde is the right guy. Even on a stellar team he rode an .874 save%. That is pretty weak. He did play relatively well against London so I give him credit for that. But that is just one playoff series. Two if you want to consider SSM as well. Michelone put up similar numbers in Ottawa and I don’t think anyone is going to be beating down his door trying to acquire his rights.

Maybe Lalonde is the answer but I have to think there are better answers out there at a reasonable price.
I think training camp is going to decide who does what. As to Laqlonde, I think that there had to be promises made to him and Columbus for the trade to have happened. Depending on what Betts does, it might open the door to trading Vaccari, or we could see Vaccari being put into a backup and traded later in the year.

At this stage of the season, I am not worried about who teams have and whether it is a good idea. Having 2 good goalies that can start is a pleasant thing to have and opens up possibilities for trades later.
Poole is confirmed gone released & signed in Haliburton played for them tonight
Did Poole not have a concussion issue. Playing in Haliburton might be the thing for him.
Another Frontenac draft pick Lukas Moore scored for Haliburton last night.
Just because he played last night in Haliburton does not mean that he will be in Haliburton this year. He will still come to camp and play to make the team. A rookie RHD on this team would not be the end of the world. I can remember players that used to come to 67's camp practice and skate at the Civic and then pack everything up and drive to Pembroke for the King's camp.

The Fronts got a lot of draft picks so it would not surprise me to see them use a few once they see what they have in camp.

Cavallin must not be looking at going to university that would be the only reason to stay or not come back.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Just because he played last night in Haliburton does not mean that he will be in Haliburton this year. He will still come to camp and play to make the team. A rookie RHD on this team would not be the end of the world. I can remember players that used to come to 67's camp practice and skate at the Civic and then pack everything up and drive to Pembroke for the King's camp.
Never said he was not coming to camp just pointed out he scored for Haliburton.

TrueNorthJag

Apr 17, 2024
Hey folks, I am a local Kingston Frontenacs fan who started a new format of fantasy hockey and I'm looking to see if I can get a local fantasy hockey league started!

My format is unique because it is both an NHL fantasy league and a junior fantasy league. If your NHL team is rebuilding you can focus on rebuilding a good prospects team and still win prize $ during the rebuilding process. This means you can collect points for Frontenacs players like Quinton Burns, Ethan Miedema, Jacob Battaglia, Nolan Lalonde, Tuomas Uronen and Emil Pieniniemi.

Details

- $50 buy-in (USD) with over 2000 in total prize money
- 32 Team League
- 25 spots remaining, registration closes September 1st.

If you have more questions feel free to comment, or email me directly

[email protected]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad