Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Thanks for the summary.
My friend heard 9 players passed the skating test, 8 rostered players plus #12.
So I think that is your answer if he’s signed or not, that kid came in shape ready to go to camp and half the regulars couldn’t even pass the skating test.
I sort of figured the big open ice hit would be #11, that kid hits hard and does it regularly.

Agreed that #12 has a good motor and is the type of person that will appeal to coach Mann.

I really hope you’re kidding on who was the most impressive player in game 2. All I’ve heard from my friend is how Saginaw wanted to go for a Mem cup run and needed to move him to do so and tighten up their dressing room. His dad is best friends with the coach and look where he landed.

Credibility just dropped, use your Frontal Lobe.

Let’s regroup on Sunday after an exhibition game on who’s who, I don’t put much stock into these scrimmages.

RIP to Johnny Geaudreau and his brother. 😭

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I really hope you’re kidding on who was the most impressive player in game 2. All I’ve heard from my friend is how Saginaw wanted to go for a Mem cup run and needed to move him to do so and tighten up their dressing room. His dad is best friends with the coach and look where he landed.
However he may be in the locker room I've gotta agree here - he was showing some hands/finish that was right up there with Battaglia for best of the entire roster.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
However he may be in the locker room I've gotta agree here - he was showing some hands/finish that was right up there with Battaglia for best of the entire roster.

That’s a good sign. I think McNamara might be the Kingston centre most capable of defending opponents top centre.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
They had Buttar playing C today so wonder if they're gonna give him a look at 4C to start the year.

Lalonde looked kinda shaky, I think he gave up the most goals out of all the goalies today.

I'm not sure he'll be an OHLer this year because of his size but Drake Sled continually impressed me, he beat Lalonde completely clean and was constantly around the puck. He's only listed at 5'9" 165 so he may need a year of bulking but I can see him making a push for next year.

Battaglia was absolutely dominant - his stickhandling was on a different level today. Miedema again showed flashes of being a stud but only tried about 30% of the time.

Burns is definitely the captain of this team, went out of his way to shake the hands of the refs (the only one I saw do that), was very vocal and was giving words of encouragement to guys on the other team after good plays - the one that stands out the most was when Schmidt got in front of a hard Slapshot that took a bite out of him.

I'm not gonna be able to make it to the Sunday preseason game but I'll be curious to see who plays and how they look.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Before I tell you who is staying and who is going on my team I must take issue with PuckLucker telling FrontalLobe that use his brain and his credibility just dropped because of his review of McNamara. Well I guess my credibility will drop to because McNamara was easily in the top 3 of players thru the 3 scrimmages. We sit in the stands and judge by what is happening on the ice. Off ice issues are above our pay grade and up to the real coach and GM to address it not us wanna bees.

Team Black
In
Battaglia, Hopkins, Soto, Buttar, Weir, Shewfelt, Sled, Pieniniemi, Burns, Velliaris, Moore, Nettleton, Vaccari, Herman

Out
McCuaig, Puhl, Boyle, Goble, Turnbull, Mondoux, Paddock

Team Gold
In
Miedema, Guindon, Kelly, Pickell, McNamara, Heyes, O'Keefe, McGowan, Uens, Ellis, Williamson, Lalonde, Betts

Out
Oliver, Clark, Carrier, Carter, Schmidt, Huinink, Adlys, Baker, Murphy

Best Rookie: Kelly
Most Surprising Rookie: Sled

This is my opinion only, feel free to comment on it pro or con. Looking forward to Sunday to see how close I was!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They had Buttar playing C today so wonder if they're gonna give him a look at 4C to start the year.
Would be a good move. Even if he doesn’t play too much this year- it’s a very competitive team this year and him practicing with these guys may go a long way. Especially with all the 05s that may not be here next year(and 04’s too obviously) just as long as he gets consistent playing time- him and Mcquaig could probably be good ohlers.
Lalonde looked kinda shaky, I think he gave up the most goals out of all the goalies today.
Perhaps he wasn’t trying as much just to save himself from injury? Just guessing- wasn’t actually there. Believe he still has that Columbus camp but I could be wrong around that.
I'm not sure he'll be an OHLer this year because of his size but Drake Sled continually impressed me, he beat Lalonde completely clean and was constantly around the puck. He's only listed at 5'9" 165 so he may need a year of bulking but I can see him making a push for next year.
Awesome to hear- we will need guys for the team next year absolutely.
Battaglia was absolutely dominant - his stickhandling was on a different level today.
Will have another breakout season this year for sure. Awesome.
Burns is definitely the captain of this team, went out of his way to shake the hands of the refs (the only one I saw do that), was very vocal and was giving words of encouragement to guys on the other team after good plays - the one that stands out the most was when Schmidt got in front of a hard Slapshot that took a bite out of him.
Great to hear. Called burns being the captain in the middle of last season for this year (assuming ludwinski doesn’t come back) biggest thing he has to work on obviously is just the penalties this year but he’s a solid defensive d man and I’m sure his point total increases a bit this year too.
I'm not gonna be able to make it to the Sunday preseason game but I'll be curious to see who plays and how they look.
I’ll let you know. I’m going to that. Very excited. Hopefully our nhl affiliated guys play even if not 100% trying. Would love to see a little bit of pieniniemi

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Thanks for the summary.
My friend heard 9 players passed the skating test, 8 rostered players plus #12.
So I think that is your answer if he’s signed or not, that kid came in shape ready to go to camp and half the regulars couldn’t even pass the skating test.
I sort of figured the big open ice hit would be #11, that kid hits hard and does it regularly.

Agreed that #12 has a good motor and is the type of person that will appeal to coach Mann.

Credibility just dropped, use your Frontal Lobe.

Let’s regroup on Sunday after an exhibition game on who’s who, I don’t put much stock into these scrimmages.

RIP to Johnny Geaudreau and his brother. 😭

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
With a grain of salt - it looks like Shewfelt and Moore may have made it to the next step in terms of cuts because they're both now listed on the Fronts preseason roster.

I didn't see as much out of Shewfelt as some others have but clearly he impressed the people that matter if he's made it to the preseason roster.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
With a grain of salt - it looks like Shewfelt and Moore may have made it to the next step in terms of cuts because they're both now listed on the Fronts preseason roster.

I didn't see as much out of Shewfelt as some others have but clearly he impressed the people that matter if he's made it to the preseason roster.
Hopefully he impresses. Only an 07. Going to need some people next year when players move on or get traded.

According to EP he is playing in the CCHL this year.

Moore is not updated but I assume he won’t be pushing guys out of their spot this year. Burns, pie, uens, McGowan, Velliaris and Williamson are all probably locks I would assume.

When burns, pie and one of McGowan/uens aren’t back I assume moore/schmidt (outside chance maybe but has potential to grow- December baby so he’s not even 16 yet.) and our d man we pick in the first round will be on the team. (I assume we get 1 forward and 1 d with our first round picks next year)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Who do you think is the 7th D right now? That's the one thing I was trying to watch for because it seems like there's a consensus top 6 with Burns, Pieniniemi, Uens, McGowan, Velliaris, Williamson, but no one has really stood out. They can't go into the season with only 6 signed, so if I had to pick it's probably Moore or Mondoux, but neither inspires a ton of confidence.
Moore and MOndoux are going to get a lot of ice time to show what they have. Consider that Kingston will only have 4 regular D during the rookie camp. I can see 1 or both of them staying up for the start of the season until everyone gets back. It would give Mann 8 D ready to play although Moore and Mondoux may lack a lot of ice time

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think on Sunday, you might actually see glimpses of the starting lineup and lines. Both teams have pared their rosters.

Buttar, I would strongly advise you to seek more ice time and play in the OJHL or CCHL. It's crucial for players to get consistent playing time for their development, rather than playing sporadically.

Lalonde and Vaccari really have nothing to play for. They both know they have made the team, and yes, if I were Lalonde, the last thing I want to do is pull or tweak something making a nothing save in OHL training camp.

Who got invites to pro camps other than drafted players?

McNamara will probably start on 2nd line until Hopkins boots him off with his play.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I think on Sunday, you might actually see glimpses of the starting lineup and lines. Both teams have pared their rosters.

Buttar, I would strongly advise you to seek more ice time and play in the OJHL or CCHL. It's crucial for players to get consistent playing time for their development, rather than playing sporadically.

Lalonde and Vaccari really have nothing to play for. They both know they have made the team, and yes, if I were Lalonde, the last thing I want to do is pull or tweak something making a nothing save in OHL training camp.

Who got invites to pro camps other than drafted players?

McNamara will probably start on 2nd line until Hopkins boots him off with his play.
I haven't heard for in terms of camp invites but I'd imagine Uronen/Miedema/Burns/Battaglia/Lalonde/Pieniniemi as drafted/signed guys, possibly McNamara and Soto as UDFAs, and maybe Guindon.

I think most of them will be back for the start of the season, I don't really expect anyone to make a deep push.

Re: Buttar - he didn't look out of place when he was playing with the solidified OHLers. Personally I was more impressed with McQuaig but at this point I honestly expect both them to be part of the regular season roster.

I don't expect to see any kind of updates from Kingston because they have awful comms in terms of transactions but I'd guess before Sunday the majority will be sent back to AAA or Jr A/B

Reactions: hockeynugget

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I haven't heard for in terms of camp invites but I'd imagine Uronen/Miedema/Burns/Battaglia/Lalonde/Pieniniemi as drafted/signed guys, possibly McNamara and Soto as UDFAs, and maybe Guindon.

I think most of them will be back for the start of the season, I don't really expect anyone to make a deep push.

Re: Buttar - he didn't look out of place when he was playing with the solidified OHLers. Personally I was more impressed with McQuaig but at this point I honestly expect both them to be part of the regular season roster.

I don't expect to see any kind of updates from Kingston because they have awful comms in terms of transactions but I'd guess before Sunday the majority will be sent back to AAA or Jr A/B
I think with the number of players going to rookie camps most of the kids will be kept if for nothing more than to add bodies for scrimmages

I agree no one is going to make a big push you might see Battaglia and Burns make it to the team camp but I think they will be early cuts.

Pie could be the longset away depending on what he shows as he is eligible to play AHL so they may send him to WB to see for a few games

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Pretty good for the first pre season game of the year.

Very impressed with how pieniniemi plays. He’s going to be a huge player for us.

Was impressed with mcquaig and Kelly they were looking like vets out there- they definitely have to stay up with us

Battaglia played amazing.

Miedema had a real nice shot for the 4th goal and dangled mews and another Ottawa d man with 3 mins left before trying to do the forsberg- didn’t score but beautiful moves

Uens I was pretty impressed with- steady game.

Betts was awesome. Going to be really good with us next year assuming he spends the year in jr a/b

Also- didn’t notice Buttar much when he played and I did notice he barely played the second half of the game when the other Ottawa goalie went in.

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Burns and Pie were D partners the whole game as I mentioned they would be.

Battaglia was absolutely dominant with the puck today. Best player on the ice and it wasn’t even close.

McNamara looked good but at times was trying to do a little to much and turning over the puck due to it.

The youngsters were very good only one that didn’t move the needle for me was Buttar.
Mcquaid, Kelly and Shewfelt played a great game.

Guidon came as advertised and was creating space and setting up plays all over the place.

Couple really bad plays behind Kingston net where the Dman served up a nice Ginos pizza right in front of their net.
I couldn’t see who did it but it happened twice

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Do we have any updates/rumblings on signings? They still only have 12F, 6D and 3G - assuming Pickell, Shewfelt and Moore get signed that's still only 14F and 7D - nowhere near enough depth. Especially considering it was only 2 years ago we had forwards playing defense (Paul Hughes) and defense playing forward (Alec Belanger) due to injuries.

I also noticed they've updated a bunch of height/weights on the roster - McGowan up from 165ish to 190, Velliaris up from 185ish to 205, Williamson up from 165ish to 188, and then some of the rookies are already up quite a bit since the draft weights (although I have no idea how accurate they are) - Buttar from 6.00.75, 166 to 6'1", 181, McQuaig from 6.00.75, 166 to 6'2", 174 and Kelly from 5.9.25, 162 to 5'11" 177.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Do we have any updates/rumblings on signings? They still only have 12F, 6D and 3G - assuming Pickell, Shewfelt and Moore get signed that's still only 14F and 7D - nowhere near enough depth. Especially considering it was only 2 years ago we had forwards playing defense (Paul Hughes) and defense playing forward (Alec Belanger) due to injuries.

I guess I should've waited for a couple hours - Pickell, Shewfelt and Moore all signed. I still think they need to sign a couple more but at least it's a start.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I guess I should've waited for a couple hours - Pickell, Shewfelt and Moore all signed. I still think they need to sign a couple more but at least it's a start.
I assume pickle and shewfelt will be apart of the bottom 6 and then Moore 6th/7th d man? And when Burns, pieniniemi, and one of uens/mcgowan move on next year moore becomes “Moore” of a regular

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I assume pickle and shewfelt will be apart of the bottom 6 and then Moore 6th/7th d man? And when Burns, pieniniemi, and one of uens/mcgowan move on next year moore becomes “Moore” of a regular
Yeah I think the top 6 and bottom 6 are fairly clearly defined - Battaglia/Guindon/Uronen and Miedema/Hopkins/Soto top 6, then McNamara/Heyes/Weir along with 3 of Pickell/Shewfelt/Buttar/McQuaig/Kelly to round out the bottom 6. McNamara's the main one that could bump someone down, likely Miedema if he has effort issues.

As for D - yeah Moore's gotta be the 7th. I don't think he's passing Velliaris/Williamson.

It's obviously way too early to get into their roster for 25/26 because I'd have to imagine there'll be changes this year - but from what I can see 25/26 could have a ton of roster turnover (although I suppose not too different than this year). They'll lose half their D and close to half their forwards (Guindon/Heyes/Uronen/Pickell/at least 2 of Soto, Miedema and McNamara).

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
My crack at the lineup to start:

Forwards:

Battaglia | Guindon OA | Soto

Miedema | McNamara | Uronen

Pickell | Hopkins | Weir

Shewfelt | Buttar | Heyes OA

Extra F: ????

Defence:

Pieniniemi | Burns

McGowan | Uens

Velliaris | Williamson

Extra D: Moore

G:

Lalonde OA
Vaccari

Captains:

C: Burns

A’s (2 home and 2 away)

A: Guindon
A: Uens
A: Battaglia
A: Hopkins

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021

Forwards:

Battaglia | Guindon | Soto

McQuaig/Shewfelt/Pickell | Hopkins | Weir

McQuaig/Shewfelt | Pickell/kelly | Kelly/Weir

Extra F: Heyes/Kelly/Weir ???
(Don’t kill me for this but I just don’t see Heyes playing too much here- would be better playing some rookies)

Buttar to Jr A

Defence:

Pieniniemi | Burns

McGowan | Uens

Velliaris | Williamson

G:

Lalonde
Vaccari

Captains:

A’s (2 home and 2 away)
Buttur to snt going down kelly and Caden as they had face shield on

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Buttur to snt going down kelly and Caden as they had face shield on
Good catch didn’t pay attention to that. From what I saw honestly it looked like Kelly and McQuaig played way better. Was the first time I saw all 3 in person and Buttar didn’t have a good game but obviously he is the 2nd round pick.

Edited lineup

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

Forwards:

Battaglia | Guindon OA | Soto

Pickell | Hopkins | Weir

Shewfelt | Buttar | Heyes OA

Extra F: ????

Defence:

Pieniniemi | Burns

McGowan | Uens

Velliaris | Williamson

G:

Lalonde OA
Vaccari

Captains:

A’s (2 home and 2 away)

I think the last half of the game they were going with McGowan Williamson together and Vellaris Uens. Interesting to see what happens with the bottom pairing.
I can't see them not improving that D core.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think the last half of the game they were going with McGowan Williamson together and Vellaris Uens. Interesting to see what happens with the bottom pairing.
I can't see them not improving that D core.
I didn’t catch that. Good eye.

Yes I agree if they’re contending they need to improve that whole second d line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad