Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Betts is with Pickering and lost in his start 6-1 against Wellington. Mondoux is on Pickering also

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Do any other teams have this long of a break between pre-season games? It's kinda annoying as a fan because there's absolutely nothing to talk about...

I don't know why Shewfelt is playing CCHL games - unless it's just go keep his legs under him while until the next pre-season game? At this point an injury to any players would use up all their depth.

I was trying to find some info on NHL training camps to see who and when we'd be missing them but not a ton of teams have lists out - St. Louis's is the 19th-22nd so he'll miss the last two preseason games.

NHL Rookie camps this week. So many teams have upwards of 8+ players participating. They wouldn’t be able to ice a lineup for an exhibition game.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Do any other teams have this long of a break between pre-season games? It's kinda annoying as a fan because there's absolutely nothing to talk about...
I don't know exactly when you play again, but there's no scheduled OHL preseason games until the 17th. So most have a good week+ break right now.

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Even weirder is some teams having 6 preseason games and some only 3.
Been following some of the Q’s games and by the looks of it. For a few of those games they play quite literally only Q prospects.

What’s the harm in not just the fronts- but the whole OHL doing that?

More revenue and you get to see the kids that have been drafted.

Who knows maybe one of those 11th round guys earns their spot by dominating 2 games against their own age group.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I don't know exactly when you play again, but there's no scheduled OHL preseason games until the 17th. So most have a good week+ break right now.
Kingston's 3 scheduled pre-season games are/were Sep 1, Sep 20 and Sep 21 - so even before this week+ break they haven't played in a week, getting a little restless here haha

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Kingston's 3 scheduled pre-season games are/were Sep 1, Sep 20 and Sep 21 - so even before this week+ break they haven't played in a week, getting a little restless here haha
The good news to this and the reason why may be that Mann wants this time to engrain his system and conditioning on the players that are not at NHL camp. So in hindsight it is not that bad an idea. Hopefully he has most of his players back from rookie camps and can see how the lineup is a week before start of the season.

Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting deal. Kingston gets an earlier pick (2026) that would be valuable for a trade to add to this year’s team. Pretty savvy really. The sacrifice comes at the expense of the Conditional picks.

Brantford is an interesting destination. I highly doubt we see him report this year but next year Brantford is set up to be a pretty solid team, probably a sure fire contender. That may be enough to entice Malhotra to report for his NHL draft year. If he does, that will be a pretty big coup for them. IF he doesn’t, it isn’t much from a draft pick perspective to be tied up in conditionals.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I like the trade. Getting another 2nd round pick in 2026 adds to our arsenal should we decide to a trade for a prime player either this year or next. They can always make another trade in the next few years to get a second round pick in 2028.

Reactions: OMG67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Interesting - Kingston's release says they got Flint's 2026 2nd, but Brantford's says it's their own 2nd. I'd have to imagine Flint's will be a better pick strictly based on how good I expect Brantford to be.
I like the trade. Getting another 2nd round pick in 2026 adds to our arsenal should we decide to a trade for a prime player either this year or next. They can always make another trade in the next few years to get a second round pick in 2028.
They do already have Erie's 2028 2nd as well as maybe Flint's if Thibodeau plays an OA year.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
This is why i kind of giggle at how upset some were with Coop for drafting Maholtra.
Almost likes things kind of fell into place for him because he's going to need those 2 firsts for the retool / rebuild after this season.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This is why i kind of giggle at how upset some were with Coop for drafting Maholtra.
Almost likes things kind of fell into place for him because he's going to need those 2 firsts for the retool / rebuild after this season.

its a miss, they want to make a run this year they lost out on a tradable asset that other teams that they are competing with, ie oshawa, in theroy have.

its also a loss because they did not do their due dilligence, i knew the ncaa stuff was legit days before the draft, how the hell does cooper not know that. its a big mistake.

Reactions: OMG67

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
its also a loss because they did not do their due dilligence, i knew the ncaa stuff was legit days before the draft, how the hell does cooper not know that. its a big mistake.
If you read the press release they put out Cooper says he did know about the NCAA option and it was legit concern but he drafted him anyways. Not saying if it was good or a miss but he did know it was a possibility

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
My main issue with it was that if this year was going to be a go for it year, having an '08 to trade would've been super valuable considering the apparent lack of 08's available - but based on the trades so far it seems like teams are much more interested in trading for the stars early for loads of picks instead of waiting for January.

its a miss, they want to make a run this year they lost out on a tradable asset that other teams that they are competing with, ie oshawa, in theroy have.

The worst part of it is that even if you weren't aware of the NCAA stuff (which is bad enough in of itself) - he committed to Chilliwack the morning of the draft so even if they had zoned in on him, you'd have to see that and check in on it.

Kingston isn't exactly the draw that teams like London/Kitchener are so the odds of them swaying someone away from the NCAA is quite low.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If you read the press release they put out Cooper says he did know about the NCAA option and it was legit concern but he drafted him anyways. Not saying if it was good or a miss but he did know it was a possibility

he thought there was some pre-draft deal with guelph and that he 'was calling the bluff' to hold him hostage with the storm.

problem was, there was nothing to it and everyone was told that, if you want to call a bluff fine but make sure you have a good exit strategy before hand.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
It's likely just trying to save face - but his comments in the Whig from after the draft aren't what he said in the release for the trade.

Post draft -
“He’s a guy we interviewed early on and we thought that process went very well,” Cooper said. “Today is obviously maybe a little bit of a shock..."

Post trade -
“I understood Caleb’s intentions to commit to and play in Chilliwack and the NCAA when we made the selection in April,”

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Been saying this all along

Works out better for the fronts

Malholtra wouldn’t have even played in the top 6 this year maybe top 9

Could’ve obviously traded him but with all of our picks- we could empty the whole cupboard for all I care this year instead and then we have 2 first round picks next year and we’ll get another for Battaglia for sure along with a few good OA’s we can trade for picks. Fronts will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrontalLobe

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
he thought there was some pre-draft deal with guelph and that he 'was calling the bluff' to hold him hostage with the storm.

problem was, there was nothing to it and everyone was told that, if you want to call a bluff fine but make sure you have a good exit strategy before hand.
This was actually never the intention at all if you actually spoke to Coop and Mann.
They actually thought they could convince him to come play under Troy and wanted him on the team.
The risk was really minimal he was not going to get top 6 minutes and was going to spend the season transitioning to playing against bigger kids.

Now they have 2 first round picks next year so not much of a loss really.
The Guelph thing was just some rumour boy shit.

The straw that broke the camels back was Manny getting the Abbotsford job. -it never really made much sense until that went public and then everyone understood the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This was actually never the intention at all if you actually spoke to Coop and Mann.
They actually thought they could convince him to come play under Troy and wanted him on the team.
The risk was really minimal he was not going to get top 6 minutes and was going to spend the season transitioning to playing against bigger kids.

Now they have 2 first round picks next year so not much of a loss really.
The Guelph thing was just some rumour boy shit.

The straw that broke the camels back was Manny getting the Abbotsford job. -it never really made much sense until that went public and then everyone understood the situation.

information from both the kingston and guelph draft rooms would say another story. kingston is capable of making errors, i promise every team makes them

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
information from both the kingston and guelph draft rooms would say another story. kingston is capable of making errors, i promise every team makes them
No way to tell yet if this is going to end up a mistake.
Still lots of time for Maholtra to not transition well to JR Hockey or the replacement pick being a stud.

They flat out told me that was not the strategy when I spoke to them and i would take Troy's word who was in the draft room over anyone on here.

We will know in a couple years and be able to look back if it was a mistake or not.
Last time this happened i believe they turned Max Domi into Sam Bennett which seemed to work out okay for everyone involved.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
No way to tell yet if this is going to end up a mistake.
Still lots of time for Maholtra to not transition well to JR Hockey or the replacement pick being a stud.

They flat out told me that was not the strategy when I spoke to them and i would take Troy's word who was in the draft room over anyone on here.

We will know in a couple years and be able to look back if it was a mistake or not.
Last time this happened i believe they turned Max Domi into Sam Bennett which seemed to work out okay for everyone involved.

the agent took a call the day before the draft about it as well. all three parties say the same but not connected. when that happens there is generally a reason. that would be proof enough for a court of law

im sure they did plan on trying to sign him, but they also thought that he had a done deal with guelph and they were calling the bluff in addition.

mann can say that they were trying to sign him and im sure its true, but so is all the other stuff as well.

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
the agent took a call the day before the draft about it as well. all three parties say the same but not connected. when that happens there is generally a reason. that would be proof enough for a court of law

im sure they did plan on trying to sign him, but they also thought that he had a done deal with guelph and they were calling the bluff in addition.

mann can say that they were trying to sign him and im sure its true, but so is all the other stuff as well.
I guess my point is we need to see how the trade and redraft pans out before we actually know the end result.

Lets say he reported and the Guelph stuff is true.
Drafting a high 1st rounder just to trade him doesn't sound like the best idea to me especially when the kid has control of the trade. -The whole lets get him and make Guelph pay scenario didn't make a lot of sense to me because if that's the case the kid and his family are already working with Guelph so you wouldn't have the leverage really to get max return?
Maybe i'm missing something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad