Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Read The Mayors article.

These are the players that he has labeled as untouchable.

Kopitar, Doughty.

He also identified Brown and Clifford very unlikely to be dealt.

Young players like Wagner, Kempe, Luff will all stick around.

It’s my opinion that Hagelin is a gone. I think the Kings hold onto Thompson. I have no idea about Kovalchuk or Carter; could stay or could go.

Quick could get moved at draft.

I don’t see Martinez leaving either.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Read The Mayors article.

These are the players that he has labeled as untouchable.

Kopitar, Doughty.

He also identified Brown and Clifford very unlikely to be dealt.

Young players like Wagner, Kempe, Luff will all stick around.

It’s my opinion that Hagelin is a gone. I think the Kings hold onto Thompson. I have no idea about Kovalchuk or Carter; could stay or could go.

Quick could get moved at draft.

I don’t see Martinez leaving either.

I agree with everything Mayor said here. I don't think Clifford or Brown should go. Makes no sense in moving Carter as his value is quite low, same with Toffoli.

Hagelin & Thompson should be moved. The rest should be kept.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Kovy Kempe Toffoli
Luff Kupari Grundstrom
Clifford Amadio Wagner

Deadline bait
Lewis/Carter/Thompson/Hagelin

Brodzinski/Leipsic (resign or let go?)

Rempal/JAD/Vilardi (could make team)

Porkins???

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think Kovalchuk is going anywhere. No team will take on that contract and we definitely won't get a 1st for him.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I don't think Kovalchuk is going anywhere. No team will take on that contract and we definitely won't get a 1st for him.
I dunno I saw what Vegas gave up for Tartar last year.

Anything is possible, but I doubt if waives, unless it is to Vegas or San Jose, Sharks of lots of contract things to figure out so they cannot really take it on.. Kings are probably going to have to eat a couple of million and based on where team is going, if that brings back some decent assets you do it.

To be honest would prefer other guys shipped out over Kovy, if the Kings didn't dick him around for part of the season, thinking he might have around 40 points or so. And on a team like the Kings, that is a huge point total

Reactions: LAKings88

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005

Retain $2 million and I think there would be a lot of interest.

Don't mind keeping him though. He's overpaid, but we aren't a cap team right now so who cares?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
12-7-1 in their last 20...a 102 point full year pace. So which is the truer measure of this team...the one that started 11-20-3 or the one that is currently 12-7--1? Seems like what Blake should be focusing on is how to leverage the current team into a playoff team for next year. A total tear down seems crazy based on how the team has played over the past 2 months. I know some people will just reflexively answer that the team is "old" and needs to be replaced by teenagers but that isn't really the question I'm asking.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
12-7-1 in their last 20...a 102 point full year pace. So which is the truer measure of this team...the one that started 11-20-3 or the one that is currently 12-7--1? Seems like what Blake should be focusing on is how to leverage the current team into a playoff team for next year. A total tear down seems crazy based on how the team has played over the past 2 months. I know some people will just reflexively answer that the team is "old" and needs to be replaced by teenagers but that isn't really the question I'm asking.

We were 1-4-2 in the 7 games before the 20 games you selected. Why not include those? The Kings are a .500 team under WD. I think that's the best way to look at it. We are trending upward. But the Rangers, Devils and Flyers aren't world beaters. Not quite time yet to go all Mr. Wolf if you get what I'm saying.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

That article doesn't say anything new. He's available for the right situation if he agrees to it. It doesn't say he wants out, or to where, or anything that we don't already know.

I dunno I saw what Vegas gave up for Tartar last year.

Vegas had 3 top 15 picks in 2017. Tatar was traded for one 1st in 2018, one 2nd this year, and one 3rd in 2021. He was 27 years old at the time of the trade. That's 8 years younger than Kovalchuk, assuming Kovalchuk even wants to leave.

How many teams had 3 top 15 picks last year, and can afford to throw one away this year? Is a 3rd in 2022 worth getting? We keep going back to the Tatar move like it's a normal trade. That was a fairly one off kind of deal. Specific to time and team. That was Vegas riding their indestructible expansion year wave as far as it would take them.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We were 1-4-2 in the 7 games before the 20 games you selected. Why not include those? The Kings are a .500 team under WD. I think that's the best way to look at it. We are trending upward. But the Rangers, Devils and Flyers aren't world beaters. Not quite time yet to go all Mr. Wolf if you get what I'm saying.

There are lots of .500 teams in the league this year if you want to look at it that way. Should they are be tearing their teams apart and doing a full rebuild? St Louis started the year terribly and are now in the playoffs. What would have happened if they had panicked and traded some key pieces? Colorado started hot and now is terrible...should they rebuild? All I'm saying is that this team may not be as bad as the tank crew wants to believe.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
There are lots of .500 teams in the league this year if you want to look at it that way. Should they are be tearing their teams apart and doing a full rebuild? St Louis started the year terribly and are now in the playoffs. What would have happened if they had panicked and traded some key pieces? Colorado started hot and now is terrible...should they rebuild? All I'm saying is that this team may not be as bad as the tank crew wants to believe.

The players won't tank even if posters here want them to. There's not much we can do to drop in the standings. Trading Quick won't change things. Playing Phaneuf won't change things much. Carter is out. The likeliest trade pieces, Hagelin and Thompson, won't impact us in the standings when they leave. The biggest issue for Blake is what to do with Martinez.

As far as selling, in addition to Hagelin and Thompson, I think the most likely to go is Carter if he gets healthy. If Blake finds trades for Carter, Kovalchuk (with his consent) and Martinez, we would probably fall some in the standings. But I don't think Blake does that simply to get more ping pong balls.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't want Kovalchuk gone, and I'm honestly confused by people who think his contract is bad. He's only signed for two more years and is making a little over 6 million.

He's making Marleau, Lucic, Radulov money. For only 2 more years. Making a little bit more than Dubinsky, and Eriksson.

Not really over paid for his talent at all. Fair market value.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA

It doesn't matter if the team is not one of the teams that has a legit chance at going all the way which it doesn't. This is a mediocre team. They have won some games but they are not going to be getting 102 points. They may not do a total teardown but this team doesn't have the horses to beat any of the top 3 teams in a series. They were toyed with last year by the Vegas as an example. They have little room to get any FA's and the farm system needs depth.

Blake will move guys out.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I don't want Kovalchuk gone, and I'm honestly confused by people who think his contract is bad. He's only signed for two more years and is making a little over 6 million.

He's making Marleau, Lucic, Radulov money. For only 2 more years. Making a little bit more than Dubinsky, and Eriksson.

It could be that the team sees a 3-year plan if they move guys like Kovalchuk. If they retain a chunk of his contract, they probably can get a better return for him and it won't really matter for the next few years. The same goes for eating a lousy contract for a year as a bridge player while getting a good pick/player as well if it allows them to move out a longer deal like Carter I could see them wanting to load up this year with 3 Top 35 picks, get another Top 10 pick next year and then look to be lined up better for the year after.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Just another link regarding interest in Kovalchuk at the trade deadline. This one is specific to the Islanders. C'mon Uncle Lou let's do this. Kings are going to have to retain up to 50% of the cap hit to make a deal with any team, but it's still worth doing.

Glad to hear Kovalchuk really is interested in winning.

New York Islanders Linked to Ilya Kovalchuk at Trade Deadline

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

What purpose does Kovalchuk serve on this roster, or in the Kings organization?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It could be that the team sees a 3-year plan if they move guys like Kovalchuk. If they retain a chunk of his contract, they probably can get a better return for him and it won't really matter for the next few years. The same goes for eating a lousy contract for a year as a bridge player while getting a good pick/player as well if it allows them to move out a longer deal like Carter I could see them wanting to load up this year with 3 Top 35 picks, get another Top 10 pick next year and then look to be lined up better for the year after.

That's a good point, the reason why I said what I said was because some people were implying that Kovalchuks contract looks bad. Literally on any contract retention would bring forth a better offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad