Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't remember Phaneuf ever being a healthy scratch. This might be the first time in his career, so I get that it might be awkward for him to do an interview about it right now.

Didn't realize that. I figured he may have been scratched at times in Ottawa.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Seems pretty obvious to me: the tank is off as playoff hopes are back on. Hence, the Tank Commander is scratched.
LA Kings Tank 2019 with Brad Pitt as Dion Phaneuf, the tank commander

German #1 as John Stevens, the coach who tried to scratch Dion

...and

Logan Lerman as Luc Robitaille, the man who bails out of the tank.

...if only those grenades had gone off right away!

Reactions: BigKing

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lewis replaces Hagelin in the line up and the Kings can send Luff or Wagner down when Brodz comes back - but I would keep Thompson. Amadio is a different player.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I like to crap on Blake as much as the next guy, but he's not making a playoff push. His job's not on the line because of the problems he inherited, but it will be if he continues to fail to address them.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Lewis replaces Hagelin in the line up and the Kings can send Luff or Wagner down when Brodz comes back - but I would keep Thompson. Amadio is a different player.
Of the players mentioned Michael Amadio is the one that should have playing 3C minutes from the beginning... the kid can make plays he just needs line mates that can finish

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
what an ******** LOL. :laugh:

everyone know that the Kings (entire or-gan-EYE-Za-tion) are jerks when they host development camp.... :eek:
I don't know the definition of "nice", or "not nice", but I would do some exit interviews with players who attend camp to determine if there is anything of substance to cause a concern.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Of the players mentioned Michael Amadio is the one that should have playing 3C minutes from the beginning... the kid can make plays he just needs line mates that can finish

Yes! Playing Amadio 4th line center is akin to playing Kopi 3rd Right Defense...
Amadio has immense innate playmaking skills and the last place is to ctr line 4.

His other issue is he has not been skating hard / a little off...and last game he was skating much better.
He must skate as well as that to play 2C or 3C. It's no fluke he scored 50+ goals his last season in OHL and
then more than a PPG on an Ontario Reign team that lacked high skill forwards. Thats all impressive.
What he is a little shy of on the Kings - is speed / extra jump and possibly could always be a little stronger.

This is his chance and it's up to him...hope they give him at least a week or 2 at 2C or 3C. He's not
a fit for 4C.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yes! Playing Amadio 4th line center is akin to playing Kopi 3rd Right Defense...
Amadio has immense innate playmaking skills and the last place is to ctr line 4.

His other issue is he has not been skating hard / a little off...and last game he was skating much better.
He must skate as well as that to play 2C or 3C. It's no fluke he scored 50+ goals his last season in OHL and
then more than a PPG on an Ontario Reign team that lacked high skill forwards. Thats all impressive.
What he is a little shy of on the Kings - is speed / extra jump and possibly could always be a little stronger.

This is his chance and it's up to him...hope they give him at least a week or 2 at 2C or 3C. He's not
a fit for 4C.

How is Mike Amadio not Nick Shore 2.0? Amadio is nowhere near ready to play 2c or even 3c in the NHL. It's just crazy that every prospect under 25 is being penciled into current or future lineups. Most of them are not going to make it. It seems like tank fever has made objective player evaluation completely obsolete. What's next, Scherbak playing wing for Amadio on the 2nd line?

Reactions: RocketKing

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

a fit for 4C.
Amadio, Luff and Wagner have been dicked around too much this season

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How is Mike Amadio not Nick Shore 2.0? Amadio is nowhere near ready to play 2c or even 3c in the NHL. It's just crazy that every prospect under 25 is being penciled into current or future lineups. Most of them are not going to make it. It seems like tank fever has made objective player evaluation completely obsolete. What's next, Scherbak playing wing for Amadio on the 2nd line?

First, Nick Shore never was a prolific scorer at any level, he had one huge season down the stretch with 20 goals and 42 points in 38 games in the AHL flashing some playmaking skill, and he showed some of that in the NHL, but he was always as advertised, a solid two way guy. he earned that nickname "Tan Crayon" by being dependable defensively but he never really cracked out of scoring at more than a 20 point pace, which is good for a bottom liner.

Mike Amadio has shown to be a sponge and a slow grower but he has absolutely obliterated every level he played at offensively and captained teams even some in which he was the ONLY guy carrying the play, including his last year in juniors, 50 goals and 98 points in 68 games where the runner up, his winger, had only 69 points. So first, he can create offense on his own, and he's a much better goal scorer. He also--at previous levels and will have to grow into it at this level and gain man strength--was absolutely unstoppable on the wall, similar to Vilardi.

It's a lazy comparison to use those two simply because they're both right-handed two-way guys that aren't murdering people but use their brains on the boards. I agree that he's not ready for prime time, but it sounds like you could use a dose of "objective player evaluation" yourself.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Players on the chopping block: Carter, Toffoli, Martinez, Thompson, Hagelin, Brodzinski, Lewis?, Clifford?, Phaneuf?, Forbort?, Kovalchuk, Fantenberg, Leipsic, Quick

That's a lot of players who could not be back next year. I think some candidates who could make the team would be Vilardi, Kupari, JAD and hopefully 1 of Hughes or Kakko. On defense the candidates would be Clague or Brickley. May bring someone in from free agency. And obviously Petersen slides in for Quick if he's traded. This team could look vastly different by training camp.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Players on the chopping block: Carter, Toffoli, Martinez, Thompson, Hagelin, Brodzinski, Lewis?, Clifford?, Phaneuf?, Forbort?, Kovalchuk, Fantenberg, Leipsic, Quick

That's a lot of players who could not be back next year. I think some candidates who could make the team would be Vilardi, Kupari, JAD and hopefully 1 of Hughes or Kakko. On defense the candidates would be Clague or Brickley. May bring someone in from free agency. And obviously Petersen slides in for Quick if he's traded. This team could look vastly different by training camp.

I agree to some degree with @tomd though that there isn't likely to be such a purge right away. I think your list is more by NEXT deadline than this offseason.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I agree to some degree with @tomd though that there isn't likely to be such a purge right away. I think your list is more by NEXT deadline than this offseason.

Oh absolutely. Its very unlikely that everyone just kind of disappears. The easiest would be those depth players like Hagelin, Thompson, Leipsic, Fantenberg simply because of their contracts expiring and blocking some of our youth guys. Brodzy is likely gone imo because he hasn't shown much at the NHL level and hasn't played at all this year. So that's 5 open spots right there.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Oh absolutely. Its very unlikely that everyone just kind of disappears. The easiest would be those depth players like Hagelin, Thompson, Leipsic, Fantenberg simply because of their contracts expiring and blocking some of our youth guys. Brodzy is likely gone imo because he hasn't shown much at the NHL level and hasn't played at all this year. So that's 5 open spots right there.

I would keep Leipsic, so 4 spots, Wagner, Luff, Amadio, Scherbak/Rempal I think let Fantenberg walk, sign a veteran D, like a Polak etc, 1 year deal, pair Brickley up with him, and you run the D next year,

Doughty - Forbort
Martinez - Walker
UFA D/Phaneuf - Brickley

With the UFA D/Phaneuf trading off etc

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I would keep Leipsic, so 4 spots, Wagner, Luff, Amadio, Scherbak/Rempal I think let Fantenberg walk, sign a veteran D, like a Polak etc, 1 year deal, pair Brickley up with him, and you run the D next year,

Doughty - Forbort
Martinez - Walker
UFA D/Phaneuf - Brickley

With the UFA D/Phaneuf trading off etc

You are missing LaDue who is still under contract for next year. Unless you assume he’s gone in the off-season.

But if he’s still around, he should compete with the likes of Walker and Brickley for a spot.

Phaneuf is the press box guy. Keep him around and explore a buyout in his last season.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Any predictions on next years team?

Iaffalo-Kopitar-Brown
Wagner-Carter-Toffoli
Kempe-Amadio-Grundstrom
Clifford-Lewis-Luff/Brodzinski

If the Kings can get Kakko or Hughes, one of them will be playing on the Top 6. I also don't see them keeping Toffoli because they aren't going to open up the wallet for him.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Spoken like a true captain.

Honestly, if they don't plan on dealing him, then they need to give him the f***ing 'C' back that they never should have taken. You are going to need to lean on Brown heavily to get the team back on its feet after this disaster and it starts by recognizing who the true leader in the room is...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Darren Dreger of TSN reported that the Kings will probably make their bigger moves in the offseason rather than deal before the trade deadline. Blake responded sarcastically when asked about it Thursday.
“TSN, they’re running our team, then I guess they understand that,” Blake said. “There’s speculation every day on this and that. I’m not going to get into that.”

Blake getting spicy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad