Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Didn't some goon get a 1st too a few years back?

Ryan Reaves. The Pens traded their 1st (31st overall, Blues selected Klim Kostin) and Oskar Sundqvist for Reaves and a 2nd (51st overall, Zachary Lauzon).

George Parros was also dealt for a 2nd round pick when Brian Burke traded for him when he was Ducks GM.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Mucking about with various line combos, to me it seems clear they should shed Carter to make room on the roster. Not sure who would take him or what LA could get for him at this point.

Hagelin or Thompson are gone but seems like one of Carter/Lewis/Toffoli need to move if Kupari/JAD/Luff/Wagner/Vilardi/19 pick are looking to make the team.

Luff and Wagner are already on the team. They barely play, but that's a coach's decision. Guys like Leipsic and Brodzinski aren't guaranteed to be around. Brodzinski will be 26 in June, and hasn't done anything, even before the injury. Leipsic has been traded a couple times, picked up on waivers a couple times, been on 4 different teams in 4 years. You don't shed Carter. He's 34 with 3 years left, and will in all likelihood have his worst season in the NHL. He's not as easy asset to get rid of. Kupari and the unknown 19 pick are teenagers. JAD is barely not a teenager. Vilardi is who knows. If any of those guys make the team, you can make room for them. I don't know if you make room for them before they make the team though.

If I were Blake, I would try to trade Kopitar. Maybe send him to Colorado for Ottawa’s first and Jost

You're just torturing yourself. No reason to think Kopitar will choose to leave his nice life, and certainly not for what might be the #1 overall pick. Even if it fell to 4th, what 30+ year old gets the 4th overall pick? Plus another 20 year old player on top of that? None of them. Wouldn't get that even if 50% were retained on Kopitar, and that's assuming he would want to put himself in a position to try to win again.

Mitchell had never won and the Kings had to go the Kovalchuk route (extra year on the deal) to get him as he was considered damaged goods.

Paid a steep price for Richards. Paid what appeared to be a significant price for Williams who was also considered damaged goods.

Point being is this: Lombardi put himself in a position to be able to acquire these type of guys to augment the more talented players he already had in Kopitar and Doughty, plus he had to be opportunistic and take a leap of faith every once in awhile. This is part of the whole tank and acquire assets philosophy. You need to hit on picks but you also just need to have cap space and attractive assets to jump on someone else's good draft pick that they've developed.

Many of us did not think 11/8/23 had what it takes to lead a team to a Cup. I think Lombardi kind of thought that as well, hence the Richards trade. Some on here claim they would have won anyways with Simmonds/Schenn but what I know for sure is that they went Cup/WCF/Cup in the three seasons that the guy was valuable. What we also know is that 11/8/23 have only won one playoff game since losing these heart and soul guys.

Roster hasn't been as strong so I don't want to completely throw them under the bus, but the idea here is that they would be those heart and soul guys moving forward. If they aren't being traded, hopefully they can be those guys for a new crop of talent in three years while there is cap space and assets available to go out and get whatever else is necessary.

Another alternate history scenario, what happens if Kopitar doesn't get hurt before the 2011 playoffs? They had a decent Kopitar-less effort against the Sharks. Lost 3 games in OT. Had Kopitar been healthy, and they manage to win that series somehow, do they go all in for Richards? Without Kopitar, it was clear as day that the team didn't have enough down the middle. If he was healthy, and they get to the 2nd round, is Lombardi a little more patient? Especially since he was going to have to trade Smyth for basically nothing? I know they got Fraser, and he ended up playing a decent role, but 23 goals were traded for 3.

Didn't some goon get a 1st too a few years back?

And people were surprised by it. I guess people can hope other GMs are dumb, but don't expect it in any given trade. Be happy if it happens, but with trade speculation as a fan, whatever you want from the other team, decrease the talent coming back it a little bit(or a lot in some cases), and that's probably closer to what you could get.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Iaffalo Kopi Brown
Kovy Carts Toffoli
Luff Kempe Grundstrom
Clifford Amadio Lewis
Wagner

Kupari/JAD/Vilardi/#1 in 19

You can hold onto Carts and hope he rebounds but he is expendable. More than Toffoli as far prospects in the pipeline able to step in to a position go.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
All the vets are expendable. We should also call them that, and someone needs to do the poster. Bring it to Staples for home games. Or a new avatar idea. Since nobody hates the Kings because of their success anymore.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Either play Luff or send him to Ontario. I think they brought so many on this trip, in case they made a deal or 2. Weird to also have Lewis and Brodzinski on the
trip and neither activated.

I think it was more about in case of injury before a game. Lewis and Brod aren't ready to go, and it's a cross country flight for any call-ups. Thompson already missed a game. Carter will miss 2, although there was time between games. But yeah, WD doesn't play Wagner or Luff, if they even dress.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
With Brian Boyle getting a 2nd, I want Cernak and a 2nd for Amart if TBL want him and i want Carlo+ for Toffoli or Carter! Thirsty contenders are going to go all out to finally win ! TBL, NAS, TML, BOS, NYI are all thinking they have a chance... hoping the Avs give us a call! And CBJ

Sell!!! Sell!!!! Sell!!!!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

With Ottawa’s owner announcing they’re going all in with winning and will spend up to the cap, it makes all the sense in the world for them to reacquire Dion Phaneuf for Thomas Chabot. They can have Nate Thompson back as well.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It’s because he’s being dealt to Calgary for Johnny Gaudreau.

And he’s a big reason why the blueline is ****.

You dont scratch the tank commander! Only reason to do it is because hed been playing ok. Time to scratch him and get him rusty again so he can lead the tank all over again in a week or so.

Reactions: Matt13

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Luff isn’t playing, but I’m 100% positive he’d rather be a scratch with the big club than in Ontario.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
With Brian Boyle getting a 2nd, I want Cernak and a 2nd for Amart if TBL want him and i want Carlo+ for Toffoli or Carter! Thirsty contenders are going to go all out to finally win ! TBL, NAS, TML, BOS, NYI are all thinking they have a chance... hoping the Avs give us a call! And CBJ

Didn't Cernak say something about being glad he was no longer with the kings organization or did that get blown out of proportion?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Didn't Cernak say something about being glad he was no longer with the kings organization or did that get blown out of proportion?

I don’t really recall but I’m guessing it was aimed at DL? Thought he deserved a shot but DL said he hadn’t earned or something like that... I could be way wrong tho lol

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

He said he was happy to be traded to an organization that was welcoming(Tampa Bay). If I remember correctly there was conflict because the Kings wanted him to come over, but go to juniors and he wanted to join the AHL squad, since he had playing professionally in Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: YP44

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

That's not how it works. Cernak is now an actual NHL player playing almost 20 minutes a night on the best team in the league, right handed, and signed for nothing through next year. They're not trading that for Martinez. Much less that plus a 2nd. Carlo is playing 20 minutes a night on one of the better teams in the league, and is also right handed. You're somehow getting a +? For guys having career worst seasons? You wouldn't get just Carlo for Carter or Toffoli.

Boyle has gone from a 3rd, to a conditional 2nd, to a straight up 2nd. Somehow his value has improved as he's aged. The value of most other players goes down as years go by.

Muzzin got a probable bottom third 1st, a 2nd rd pick from 3 years ago, and an overager. Any future deals for anyone on this team will probably be around that, and even more probably less than that.

If the Kings had some good UFA's, that would help. They don't though. Nobody wants to be tied down to 30+ year olds if they have to give something up for it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's not how it works. Cernak is now an actual NHL player playing almost 20 minutes a night on the best team in the league, right handed, and signed for nothing through next year. They're not trading that for Martinez. Much less that plus a 2nd. Carlo is playing 20 minutes a night on one of the better teams in the league, and is also right handed. You're somehow getting a +? For guys having career worst seasons? You wouldn't get just Carlo for Carter or Toffoli.

Boyle has gone from a 3rd, to a conditional 2nd, to a straight up 2nd. Somehow his value has improved as he's aged. The value of most other players goes down as years go by.

Muzzin got a probable bottom third 1st, a 2nd rd pick from 3 years ago, and an overager. Any future deals for anyone on this team will probably be around that, and even more probably less than that.

If the Kings had some good UFA's, that would help. They don't though. Nobody wants to be tied down to 30+ year olds if they have to give something up for it.

If we can get a 3rd and a 4th out of Thompson and Hagelin I will be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad