Not open for further replies.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $10,944,245

Look at all that beautiful cap space.

We should use it, find some contenders to dump on us. It'll be just like college.

Oof

Oct 23, 2018
Good enough trade in my opinion. Was expecting a 4th but a 3rd works too. Honestly barely even noticed him while he was with the Kings. Did he even PK with them?
I think, maybe, wasn't really noticeable. The one thing I specifically remember was a few games ago, opposing team turned it over, pass to hagelin in front, if he waits a second it's a 2 on 1 aaaaaand he shoots nowhere near the net

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I think, maybe, wasn't really noticeable. The one thing I specifically remember was a few games ago, opposing team turned it over, pass to hagelin in front, if he waits a second it's a 2 on 1 aaaaaand he shoots nowhere near the net
He was one of those guys where somewhere in the 3rd period I'd notice someone with the puck and say, "Hey, Hagelin is playing tonight."

Reactions: Nodoughtyboutit

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I disagree. I don't think any team would want to take on his contract. I think he has negative trade value.

he is payed middle of the pack as far as starting goalies and cap hit but is a true #1. Still has at least 3 good years in him.

This offseason I could see Calgary, Columbus, Florida (if they miss out on Bob), Carolina, Colorado, New Jersey, New York Islanders (depending on Lehner), Buffalo and Ottawa all interested to varying degrees.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He was one of those guys where somewhere in the 3rd period I'd notice someone with the puck and say, "Hey, Hagelin is playing tonight."

The guy would have been an absolute monster had we been a playoff team. One of the rare guys who is fast enough to forecheck like a madman, but smart enough when to hang around the high slot instead and create side/back pressure. Guy has the best defensive brain I've seen outside of the regular Selke guys, honestly. I think he's crucially underrated, just redundant here because we've had 100 copies of him and still do in Lewis, for example. It's no coincidence though that Kempe and Kovalchuk were good with him in a similar vein that Iafallo was good with Kopitar and Brown. You need these complementary players.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Pretty decent move to get out of Pearson's contract and get a couple of picks.

That's the way I see it too. I've already read that some are still upset we moved Pearson and it ended up with just a 3rd and a 6th. The guy had ZERO value and was not the player we saw in 2014.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
There's no outside the box thought that's going to rid the Kings of Phaneuf. He's just a stand in for Gaborik's contract anyway. If you're trading him, you're taking back a contract as bad, if not worse, because he isn't going to be on IR all year to help Ottawa reach the cap floor. Even Arizona wouldn't take him, since he would still be playing.

Martinez is the easiest to move. Quick and Carter are more difficult, but probably not as improbable as Phaneuf.

2015-Feb-26 Traded Clarkson from Toronto Maple Leafs to Columbus Blue Jackets for Nathan Horton

Didn't this trade allow Toronto to put Horton on LTIR which in turn doesn't count against the cap? It sucks for the owner, but for Leaf fans i don't think they care much

unless i fully don't comprehend this trade but i'm pretty sure Horton's $5.3m doesn't count against their cap, you can chime in

and to add further, even then David Clarkson sucked ass, but somehow CLB took him to rid of Horton's for an active body

What if we retained a good sum AND took a bad contract, then he'd be off the roster, off the books, could cost management more but depending on the kind of owner you are, this has to be something you'd at least think about

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think if LA truly wanted to move Quick he would be very easy to move

Define very easy.

I disagree. I don't think any team would want to take on his contract. I think he has negative trade value.

I don't know about negative trade value, but I would say the return would be not what people want it to be. When is the last time the best big game goalie in the league won a big game? You can argue the team in front of him hasn't been nearly as good as the days when the Kings won big games, but that doesn't help with the he's not a system goalie thing.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
2015-Feb-26 Traded Clarkson from Toronto Maple Leafs to Columbus Blue Jackets for Nathan Horton

Didn't this trade allow Toronto to put Horton on LTIR which in turn doesn't count against the cap? It sucks for the owner, but for Leaf fans i don't think they care much

unless i fully don't comprehend this trade but i'm pretty sure Horton's $5.3m doesn't count against their cap, you can chime in

and to add further, even then David Clarkson sucked ass, but somehow CLB took him to rid of Horton's for an active body

What if we retained a good sum AND took a bad contract, then he'd be off the roster, off the books, could cost management more but depending on the kind of owner you are, this has to be something you'd at least think about

It's like the Pronger contract. He was done after that last concussion so instead of retiring and eating that cap hit, they LTIR'd him and saved 5,5 mil, then traded his contract to the Coyotes . He was even getting paid by the NHL working for them at the same time.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Define very easy.

I don't know about negative trade value, but I would say the return would be not what people want it to be. When is the last time the best big game goalie in the league won a big game? You can argue the team in front of him hasn't been nearly as good as the days when the Kings won big games, but that doesn't help with the he's not a system goalie thing.
He turns 34 next season. He has some of the worst stats of any starter in the league. Campbell and Petersen have put up much better numbers playing behind the same team.

No team is going take on the guy I just described for 4 more years at 5.8M.

In order to move him you'd ether have to give up an asset, retain, or take a bad contract in return.

Maybe if he finds his game next year he becomes more moveable, but considering how bad this Kings D is that's hard to imagine.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He turns 34 next season. He has some of the worst stats of any starter in the league. Campbell and Petersen have put up much better numbers playing behind the same team.

No team is going take on the guy I just described for 4 more years at 5.8M.

In order to move him you'd ether have to give up an asset, retain, or take a bad contract in return.

Maybe if he finds his game next year he becomes more moveable, but considering how bad this Kings D is that's hard to imagine.

The Kings have played some of their worst games with him in net, and left him out to dry more times this season than the last 7 years combined. I can thiink of at least 10 goals that were on Kopitar not playing defense and watching the puck.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I believe the crux of that deal was that Horton's contract wasn't insured, and Columbus wanted at least someone that could put a jersey on to play. The Kings just need to find a guy that's no longer going to play for the next 2 years, at a similar cap hit as Phaneuf, and the other team has to want Phaneuf in the lineup. Seems like that will be a tough combo to find.

Which bad contract do you want the Kings to take? Lucic? Ladd? Eriksson? MacDonald from the Flyers? Do the Flyers want Phaneuf at 50% for the next 2 years?

Reactions: crassbonanza

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Phaneuf's stats since coming back from injury are actually fine. Still I can't imagine anyone wanting him for 2 more years even at 50% retained.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Friedman on his latest podcast had the following tidbits concerning the Kings:

- LA is a market that might be #1 on Panarin's list
- Kings aren't eager to move Toffoli
- A lot of their big decisions will come in the summer
- Martinez's name has been out there for a long time, but it is less important for them to move him after the Muzzin trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki