Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings have played some of their worst games with him in net, and left him out to dry more times this season than the last 7 years combined. I can thiink of at least 10 goals that were on Kopitar not playing defense and watching the puck.
I'm sure when Blake tells that to other GM's they'll be very understanding.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I believe the crux of that deal was that Horton's contract wasn't insured, and Columbus wanted at least someone that could put a jersey on to play. The Kings just need to find a guy that's no longer going to play for the next 2 years, at a similar cap hit as Phaneuf, and the other team has to want Phaneuf in the lineup. Seems like that will be a tough combo to find.

Which bad contract do you want the Kings to take? Lucic? Ladd? Eriksson? MacDonald from the Flyers? Do the Flyers want Phaneuf at 50% for the next 2 years?

again there's a reason none of us are GMs, they are being paid top dollar to handle tough situations, not easy no-brainer deals, so i wouldn't brush off a situation because it's tough - and that's where the imagination kicks in, loop holes, dead contracts, etc and that's where some GMs distance themselves from the average ones

but i would prefer to take on a dead contract that can be buried and if that alone isn't enticing enough, i'd be prepared to hold an extra 25% of his salary retained - which means we'd have only 25% of his salary on the books and he'd be off the roster for the next two seasons, that alone is worth it

Phaneuf (25% retained) for Marian Hossa?

***ps: i'm not advocating anything, i'm just discussing... so the usual culprits that just wait to pounce and insult - please refrain from this convo, thanks in advance!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Arizona would likely decline since they aren't paying much in real cash for Hossa. His contract was backloaded and is only due one million for the next two years. On top of that, insurance apparently covers 80%, so Arizona only pays out 200K per year. That Hossa deal is desirable for Arizona since the phony cap hit pushes them to the cap floor while spending a minimal amount. Even with retention on Phaneuf, you'd be asking Arizona to pay 3+ million a year for Phaneuf which seems like money they don't have / should spend elsewhere.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Friedman on his latest podcast had the following tidbits concerning the Kings:

- LA is a market that might be #1 on Panarin's list
- Kings aren't eager to move Toffoli
- A lot of their big decisions will come in the summer
- Martinez's name has been out there for a long time, but it is less important for them to move him after the Muzzin trade

You forgot the fine print!

"- LA is a market that might be #1 on Panarin's list for leverage"

Reactions: KingsCourt

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
again there's a reason none of us are GMs, they are being paid top dollar to handle tough situations, not easy no-brainer deals, so i wouldn't brush off a situation because it's tough - and that's where the imagination kicks in, loop holes, dead contracts, etc and that's where some GMs distance themselves from the average ones

but i would prefer to take on a dead contract that can be buried and if that alone isn't enticing enough, i'd be prepared to hold an extra 25% of his salary retained - which means we'd have only 25% of his salary on the books and he'd be off the roster for the next two seasons, that alone is worth it

***ps: i'm not advocating anything, i'm just discussing... so the usual culprits that just wait to pounce and insult - please refrain from this convo, thanks in advance!

Does Arizona want Phaneuf in the lineup? If Phaneuf can be traded for a dead contract, by all means they should do it. It's finding the dead contract that's the problem, because as far as I know, Phaneuf isn't retiring any time soon. I don't think Hossa is a good example, because the whole reason they took him was for the cap hit. If my math is right, if the Kings get 100% of Hossa, and the Coyotes get 75% of the Kings share of Phaneuf, that's about $1.3m in cap space the Yotes lose out on. And Phaneuf takes up an active roster spot.

Why does Arizona do that? Unless you're throwing in a pick and/or prospect with Phaneuf to make it worth Arizona's time.

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
There's no outside the box thought that's going to rid the Kings of Phaneuf. He's just a stand in for Gaborik's contract anyway. If you're trading him, you're taking back a contract as bad, if not worse, because he isn't going to be on IR all year to help Ottawa reach the cap floor. Even Arizona wouldn't take him, since he would still be playing.
I'll bet Edmonton would trade the Kings Lucic for Phaneuf.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
So what next?

Not sure what other moves could happen in the next few days. Rather them just hold onto Clifford and Lewis, good bottom 6ers. Doubt the dead weight can be moved.

Is it going to be a very boring TDL day for the Kings? I'm thinking not much will happen with LA on Monday.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Well, any of Martinez, Lewis and Clifford could be moved if the Kings want.

I'm sure a lot of teams would like Carter at the $2.3 million average salary he has left. Doubt anyone would want the $5.3 cap hit though.

Kovy with salary retained would be a nice piece for a number of teams, but I hope he sticks around.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If most of the big moves for the Kings are to come during the summer, then I would guess that means the likes of Carter, Phaneuf, Quick are nearing the end of their tenure with the Kings. Who knows what they'll decide to do with Martinez and Kovalchuk, but I could see them being back with the team next season.

I could see playoff teams trying to find another Michal Kempny like addition and may target Oscar Fantenberg, who is due to beecome a UFA.

Next summer, the Kings will have the following players entering the final year of their contracts who will become UFAs in 2020:
Toffoli, Lewis, Clifford, Forbort LaDue, Campbell

It's safe to assume the Kings will be quite busy this summer and have a laundry list of decisions to make going forward.

Also forgot to mention, they'll also have a coaching decision to make as well, which likely could lead to an overhaul of the coaching staff (save for Bill Ranford, and maybe Marco Sturm).

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
So what next?

Not sure what other moves could happen in the next few days. Rather them just hold onto Clifford and Lewis, good bottom 6ers. Doubt the dead weight can be moved.

Is it going to be a very boring TDL day for the Kings? I'm thinking not much will happen with LA on Monday.
hopefully there's more, i don't think we can afford another boring tdl

even if players are performing, sometimes they have to go. we can't hammer this same lineup out year after year with minor tweaks and expect any different results

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I would like to see Kovalchuk moved at this deadline. I think the NY Islanders and Uncle Lou are interested if they can't land a bigger fish.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Assuming the Kings can make those moves. Old guys with multiple years on their contracts aren't easily traded with the cap. Pearson, Muzzin, Thompson, Hagelin, those are some of the easier ones to get rid of.

After this season, Carter has three years remaining, Phaneuf two years, Quick is the longest at four more years. I guess Quick could be the biggest hurdle to get through, and Phaneuf won't be easy to move either, but I could see a team taking a gamble on Carter. The Kings may also need to retain on any of those potential moves, which is still better than a buyout or having to sit on those contracts until they expire.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
After this season, Carter has three years remaining, Phaneuf two years, Quick is the longest at four more years. I guess Quick could be the biggest hurdle to get through, and Phaneuf won't be easy to move either, but I could see a team taking a gamble on Carter. The Kings may also need to retain on any of those potential moves, which is still better than a buyout or having to sit on those contracts until they expire.

I've said it before, I'm perfectly fine with Dion here next season, followed by a buy out in the final year.

I think we all would be shocked if they found a taker for him, even with some sort of retention. Realistically it doesn't make much sense to buy him out this year as this club will be a few years away from getting back into the upper echelon of the league again (we all hope).

Ride out one more year and then set him into pasture.

MAYBE Carter regains some of his form next year, another year removed from his injury then it's possible an opportunity could present itself via trade. If not, you have 2-years left at just over $5 million against the cap. If the Kings are competitive in 2020-21 and he's still uninspiring, you deal him with a sweetner to get the number off the books.

Quick, I have no idea what his value is now or potentially going forward. Guess it depends if a team is hurting enough to take a look at him, but his age, recent injury history and cap number are sure to be a deterrent. Tough to win out over father time. Seems as if Tom Brady and his avocado ice cream are the only ones who are currently defeating it. :laugh:

Reactions: KINGS17

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Make Panarin a package deal with a former coach of his, Joel Quenneville. It's about time a hard ass coach was brought back to light a fire under some of these *****es.

Darryl Sutter would then return to coach the Blackhawks, culminating in a 2021 Western Conference Finals matchup where Martinez scores a fluke of a winning goal, this time as a Hawk after being traded there at the 2019 deadline. Derek Forbort would, of course, have been responsible both for the turnover leading to the goal and for inadvertently deflecting the puck into the net off of his shin pad.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If Derek Forbort is still a King in 2021, I'll cry. And a team with Derek Forbort on their blueline won't get that far into the playoffs. Let's be realistic now!

Speaking of being realistic, I guess Connor McDavid isn't being traded.

Maybe if the Kings packaged Clifford and Lewis together the Oilers would think otherwise.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If Derek Forbort is still a King in 2021, I'll cry. And a team with Derek Forbort on their blueline won't get that far into the playoffs. Let's be realistic now!

Maybe if the Kings packaged Clifford and Lewis together the Oilers would think otherwise.

This is because he missed the last game with the flu

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

"Hey Pete, we'll give you Lewis...."

"...Clifford..."

"and MACDERMID."

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00