Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 88115

I agree. So ****ing sick of people picking players' literal lowest point after an entire career of dominance to make an evaluation of who they truly are as a player. It's just dishonest.

Wish we could have gotten Nylander after his 1 point in 17 games, he's worse than Tanner Pearson!
And it was speculated Toronto was willing to trade Nylander to LA, but LA did not want to include Clague. In stead we get to watch Clague get beat wide in the AHL.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I wonder if Blake has two different paths depending on how we do in the lottery. It sure seems that it's a significant drop off from the Top 2 guys. If the Kings win the lottery (or get 2nd) then maybe Blake is more aggressive in getting a Panarin if Hughes for example is expected to step in and be a 60+ point player. That certainly helps a rebuild along very quickly.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I wonder if Blake has two different paths depending on how we do in the lottery. It sure seems that it's a significant drop off from the Top 2 guys. If the Kings win the lottery (or get 2nd) then maybe Blake is more aggressive in getting a Panarin if Hughes for example is expected to step in and be a 60+ point player. That certainly helps a rebuild along very quickly.

Podzolkin is a legit superstar prospect potentially on Kakko’s level. But he’s also Russian, and to make matters worse, may not be willing to immediately come over to NA.

But yeah, after that there’s a drop off. A lot of potential quality second liners in Turcotte and co., but no one else like Hughes/Kakko/Pod.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

There is definitely a drop with the rest of the top ten, but I think that stems from the fact that Hughes and Kakko are legitimate elite talent. The rest of the top ten is still pretty stellar. That being said, I'll be pretty disappointed if the Kings don't get one of Hughes and Kakko.

Reactions: KingsCourt

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I agree. So ****ing sick of people picking players' literal lowest point after an entire career of dominance to make an evaluation of who they truly are as a player. It's just dishonest.

Wish we could have gotten Nylander after his 1 point in 17 games, he's worse than Tanner Pearson!
Except Kopitar has not had an entire career of dominance. He is up and down over the past 4-5 years. He is a very good player, and dominant when he is on his game.

When Kopitar isn't on his game, which happens far too often, he is a big part of the Kings problem.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
He's speculating based upon nothing, you might as well be quoting Eklund and his thoughts.
Would ya all stop calling Helene Elliott a HE/HIS. Every post. I can’t take it anymore. Helene Elliott is a She. Lady. Woman, Girl.
Thank you. Carry on now.

Reactions: dman3474

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Except Kopitar has not had an entire career of dominance. He is up and down over the past 4-5 years. He is a very good player, and dominant when he is on his game.

When Kopitar isn't on his game, which happens far too often, he is a big part of the Kings problem.

On the contrary, even with those bad years, he's one of the most consistent stars in the league. Not much variance, frankly. Pick a player, check them out. Check games played, production valleys etc.

If anything it's very telling HOW good Kopitar ( and Doughty) are that the whole team goes as they go.

Reactions: Piston
Jul 31, 2005
CA
If you're a head coach and you see the top line of Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown it's pretty easy to decide to key in on Kopitar. The other 2 are not top line players and lack the skills needed in the current NHL. Sadly the Kings hired another coach that is stuck way in the past when it comes to line combos and offensive strategy. The Kings have way too many roster players where they have to make an excuse as to their value. Iafallo can't score goals or generate offense but he's great at disrupting the opponents offense. Brown lacks the hands and feet of a top 6er but he's got the heart of a warrior. Clifford basically can't do jack squat but the boys love him, he's great in the locker room and in the gym. Lewis expired about 5 yeas ago, no offense and not good defensively but he's go the heart of a warrior, well respected. Forbort is a horrid NHL dman, constantly losing his man, his wrist shot is at a beer league level, slow feet and hands but he's a former #1 overall and they take longer to develop. There are just too many players where if you had to pick the last great play they made almost all die hard King fans would struggle to think of one. What was the last highlight reel play for Brown or Kopitar?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
On the contrary, even with those bad years, he's one of the most consistent stars in the league. Not much variance, frankly. Pick a player, check them out. Check games played, production valleys etc.

If anything it's very telling HOW good Kopitar ( and Doughty) are that the whole team goes as they go.
It was surprising last season, which tells us just how far the Kings are away from being cup contenders.

You go check the stats, truly dominant players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kucherov, McDavid, etc. don't have the oscillatory offensive numbers Kopitar has from season-to-season. Kopitar is a star. He isn't a dominant force in the NHL every season, which is what he should be for the role he has been cast in by the Kings.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Not really, but I do think your pessimism is creeping into your ability for rational thought,

You realize you said Kopitar wasn't a skilled player right?

I haven’t seen enough consistent goal scoring from Kopitar for the past 5 years to point to him as an example of skill in the NHL. Dozens of other players have been better at producing and driving offense. Unless you’re brainwashed into over valuing defensive skills, I don’t see how anyone can objectively evaluate Kopitar and conclude he brings enough skill to the ice to justify his minutes and contract.

Not saying he is going anywhere, but I’m not going to pump the guys tires when it is obvious to anyone who watches this team struggle that wishes he moved on so we could start fresh.

Reactions: KINGS17

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I haven’t seen enough consistent goal scoring from Kopitar for the past 5 years to point to him as an example of skill in the NHL. Dozens of other players have been better at producing and driving offense. Unless you’re brainwashed into over valuing defensive skills, I don’t see how anyone can objectively evaluate Kopitar and conclude he brings enough skill to the ice to justify his minutes and contract.

Not saying he is going anywhere, but I’m not going to pump the guys tires when it is obvious to anyone who watches this team struggle that wishes he moved on so we could start fresh.

Kopitar definitely deserves him minutes. His contract is another thing though

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Until this season I didn't think one could over value Kopitar's prowess on the defensive side of the puck, but he is even lagging in that department this season. He is losing board battles he used to win. In the past his offense would fade because he wouldn't drive the net or shoot the puck often enough. Now his puck possession game is off as well.

I think Kopitar's offense in the past was more a result of his size, strength, and smart positioning. I don't think he has the skill level of a sniper or great stick handler. His best attributes were his smart positioning, strong skating, and being hard to take off the puck when he is protecting it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kopitar definitely deserves him minutes. His contract is another thing though
I don't think Kopitar deserves the all the minutes he gets on the power play. He should probably be on the 2nd unit.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was surprising last season, which tells us just how far the Kings are away from being cup contenders.

You go check the stats, truly dominant players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kucherov, McDavid, etc. don't have the oscillatory offensive numbers Kopitar has from season-to-season. Kopitar is a star. He isn't a dominant force in the NHL every season, which is what he should be for the role he has been cast in by the Kings.

McDavid doesn't have enough of a track record like the other guys yet so I'm wary of projecting too much but no one is McDavid so I can grant you that one without being upset, haha.

Crosby--look at his games played year to year. He's played 82 games only once, though to be fair he's played 80+ 5 times. He's missed an average of 20% of each season, so while he's better, you can only count on 65 games a year on average. Career high of 120 points, career low of 37 points.

Ovechkin--you don't remember people proclaiming his demise? He's had seasons of 65, 69 points. Career high of 110. Though he's never scored less than 32 goals in a season, which is phenomenal.

Malkin--I don't even think I need to go into stats with this one. The guy is a lot of the things--including imo the best player in the world when 'on'--but consistent is not one of them.

Kucherov--like McDavid, still young-ish, in his production prime. Let's see what happens from here.

And this is just comparing him to 'the greats', including some generational players. Look how he compares to Toews and Bergeron and you'll see similar patterns. Kopitar has been a freak of nature with health and consistency across his career in comparison to other stars.

Until this season I didn't think one could over value Kopitar's prowess on the defensive side of the puck, but he is even lagging in that department this season. He is losing board battles he used to win. In the past his offense would fade because he wouldn't drive the net or shoot the puck often enough. Now his puck possession game is off as well.

I think Kopitar's offense in the past was more a result of his size, strength, and smart positioning. I don't think he has the skill level of a sniper or great stick handler. His best attributes were his smart positioning, strong skating, and being hard to take off the puck when he is protecting it.

THAT I agree with, which is what's making this season so dreadful for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki