Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Panarin as a UFA would probably cost around 7 years 70 million. He'll be 28 years old for the first year of the deal and 34 in the last year of the deal.

Not bad for a UFA of his caliber I suppose, but I don't see any reason why he'd want to sign here. And where would it put the Kings? Firmly in the black hole; not good enough to contend, not bad enough to get a top pick.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
By the time the up-and-comers start hitting their stride, Panarin will be in his early 30s.

To me, the timelines don't match.

I'd sign Panarin as a UFA, as it's a free asset, but it's not worth trading for an asset when it would be conflicting with the developmental curves of the next wave.
I don't know that I even like Panarin as a UFA signing if it's a 7-year, $10M cap hit contract, with a full NMC. It takes away too much flexibility.

Great player, but there are other teams with stars in the 23-26 age range who would be better served by taking on a Panarin contract.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't know that I even like Panarin as a UFA signing if it's a 7-year, $10M cap hit contract, with a full NMC. It takes away too much flexibility.

Great player, but there are other teams with stars in the 23-26 age range who would be better served by taking on a Panarin contract.

That's fair.

I'm just not opposed to acquiring free assets in UFA.

My stance against signing UFAs has always been I don't like trading away players when you have to overpay in free agency to replace him.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I just wanted to clear the air as we've had some heated discussions about signing free agents, and while I understand your stance of not wanting to set yourself up for a potentially untradeable asset which could take the team to a black hole, my stance may have seemed a little more ambiguous :)

Reactions: KINGS17

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Exactly, think about when the Kings acquired Jeff Carter and the shape of the Kings roster at the time.

...and Carter didn't even need a new contract.

Yep.

Kupari, JAD, Kempe, Clague, et al are a nice stable of potential NHLers, but nowhere near Kopitar, Doughty, Quick circa 2012. Kopitar and Doughty had already shown legitimate #1C and #1D capability by that time.

We don’t have any prospects who match Kopitar and Doughty. Doughty entered the league at 18 and made an immediate impact. Kopitar played one extra year in Sweden, came to the NHL, and made an immediate impact.

Kempe and co. are just not on that level. Hughes/Kakko, if we get either, would be our first prospect at that level. Vilardi was scouted to be at that level, but he’s much closer to an injury bust at this point.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Friedman is on NHL Network, may offer more context to the Panarin thing he posted earlier.

Basically said that they want to make this "rebuild" thing as quick as possible (given they have Kopitar and Doughty in the prime of their careers) and given that Panarin is believed to be interested in playing in a major market, they might be inclined to do it, if they felt like he would sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: deaderhead28

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Friedman is on NHL Network, may offer more context to the Panarin thing he posted earlier.

Basically said that they want to make this "rebuild" thing as quick as possible (given they have Kopitar and Doughty in the prime of their careers) and given that Panarin is believed to be interested in playing in a major market, they might be inclined to do it, if they felt like he would sign.
????

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yep.

Kupari, JAD, Kempe, Clague, et al are a nice stable of potential NHLers, but nowhere near Kopitar, Doughty, Quick circa 2012. Kopitar and Doughty had already shown legitimate #1C and #1D capability by that time.

We don’t have any prospects who match Kopitar and Doughty. Doughty entered the league at 18 and made an immediate impact. Kopitar played one extra year in Sweden, came to the NHL, and made an immediate impact.

Kempe and co. are just not on that level. Hughes/Kakko, if we get either, would be our first prospect at that level. Vilardi was scouted to be at that level, but he’s much closer to an injury bust at this point.
The Kings may very well draft a future 1C this year, but I prefer they keep their powder dry until we see some evidence of an up and coming team.

Reactions: King'sPawn

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Giving up future assets for Panarin would be a colossal mistake in my opinion, but it wouldn't shock me if Robitaille forced Blake to pull the trigger on such a deal.

It's foolish to believe Kopitar is in his prime.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Assuming Panarin as a UFA, you are looking at a 1A/1B situation again at center but wing is questionable as is the defense.

If they aren't going to do a proper rebuild, this would probably be the course of action and would be the "retool" some would prefer. They would move Carter for some sort of futures and then hope that the prospects are ready to produce sooner rather than later. Again, this is where Vilardi being MIA is a real killer.

Since Blake obviously wasn't rebuilding last Summer, I advocated for trading whatever it took to sign Tavares since I figured there was no way they were a real contender without another stud center. Think I was talking about moving one of Muzzin/Martinez, Toffoli and then eventually Carter. This was before Kovalchuk and assuming Vilardi was good to go.

Muzzin is gone and Carter would probably have to go in a Panarin scenario. Pearson is gone instead of Toffoli. Vilardi may be dead, however. At the end of the day, the current squad with Panarin on it is probably in playoff contention but that isn't saying much.

I'd prefer Blake keep his powder dry until the prospects this team has are somewhat proven but I understand if he went for it since they do seem to be more into a partial rebuild than a full tear-down.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Trading away one of your top players (Muzzin) for futures, while your team is at the bottom of the league, then turning around and trading a portion of those futures for a pending UFA would be a completely bizarre move. You seriously have to question the competency of management group that does that.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Trading away one of your top players (Muzzin) for futures, while your team is at the bottom of the league, then turning around and trading a portion of those futures for a pending UFA would be a completely bizarre move. You seriously have to question the competency of management group that does that.

They just say that they decided to move a lesser player (than Panarin) and two lottery tickets for a star forward while saying this team's problem is scoring and not defense, ignoring the fact that the defense isn't what it used to be.

Seriously though, moving Muzzin/Toffoli who have to be extended in one year plus two 1sts for Panarin/Grundstrom/Durzi isn't completely horrific in a vacuum.

We just aren't in a vacuum.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Breadman and Bob are going to Florida or the Islanders in the off-season.

Those two are buddies like Larry & Balky.

giphy.gif

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Blake has to start looking at Kopitar in the way the Sharks started looking at Thornton a few years ago. Valuable veteran player who can play a significant supporting role, but not “the guy.”

Unfortunately, Kopitar will be one of the highest paid centers for many years to come, which makes that all the more difficult. But hypothetically, Hughes at #1C and Kopitar at #2C with checking assignments is clearly the way to go.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Blake has to start looking at Kopitar in the way the Sharks started looking at Thornton a few years ago. Valuable veteran player who can play a significant supporting role, but not “the guy.”

Unfortunately, Kopitar will be one of the highest paid centers for many years to come, which makes that all the more difficult. But hypothetically, Hughes at #1C and Kopitar at #2C with checking assignments is clearly the way to go.

Clearly, but these clowns are going to play their way into having the best odds for 8th overall. Let's just hope the lottery goes our way.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Kopitar is on par with Bergeron in my mind.

He is overpaid by about 2 million.

It’s a down year and the dude still leads in most offensive categories.

Plays against other teams top players.

Im hoping he can rebound next year with the rest of the team.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
If we are looking to spend a 8 x 8 or something in that neighbourhood, Id rather us be pursuing a Jacob Troubda personally, and plucking a Hoffman/Huburdeau from Florida to add offense at a reasonable hit, with some residual value while FLA tries to offload salary.

Blake/Luc seem to know how to play checkers, when what we really need them to do is play some damn chess.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
The Kings may very well draft a future 1C this year, but I prefer they keep their powder dry until we see some evidence of an up and coming team.
If the Kings can get Hughes/Kakko, and we are assuming they can become impact players within two seasons, then it may be worth taking a chance on a Panarin caliber player. But only if he signs as a UFA. And those are a couple of major ifs.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
With all the speculation (or rumors?) that Florida wants Bob, CLB asking about Quick, Huberdeau on the block to free up cap space, Panarin not signing. I wonder if Blake would be able to jump in with Kekolinen and Tallon to pull off some sort of three way trade built around Quick and Toffoli, Bob and Panarin out of CLB, and Huberdeau from FL. Hash the rest out with picks going back and forth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad