Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That would clear up $15M in cap space. I think it is possible and likely to happen, and even with cap flexibility, the organization needs to remain committed to this restructure by injecting some younger, hungrier talent into the lineup.

Now what would be even more impressive is if Blake managed to get out of the Kovalchuk and Phaneuf contracts. It won't make or break the team given they both expire in a couple of years, just in time for when the next expansion draft will be, but it would still be nice to gain anything for them (even if it is just more cap flexibility).

That might be assuming too much. They just have too many years on their contracts. It also doesn't matter how bad a team is going to be, nobody is retaining 50% for years on end either, which makes it even more difficult to trade old guys with multiple guaranteed years on their deals.

Pearson was traded for Hagelin. Muzzin was traded for what will likely be a late 1st, a late 2nd rd pick from 3 years ago, and a guy that wasn't drafted at 18. Thompson just went for nothing as a UFA. If the team is as bad as we say they are, their players can't be all that valuable. So far, that's pretty accurate. They got some quantity for Muzzin, and we'll have to wait and see if there's any quality.

Muzzin was signed for 1 more year, and he was the youngest between Quick, Carter, Martinez, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, and himself. They're not getting out of these contracts easily. They're not getting their next franchise player in any trades. That's why teams don't rebuild at the drop of a hat. Especially with the cap. It takes time. The longer the contract, the longer it takes. The 28 year old with 7 years on his deal, he's easier to trade than the 33 year old with 4 years left. You want the quality 20 year old? You need a quality 26 year old to trade.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Also, one thing I heard Blake mention in that interview and I have paying attention was he said King’s can’t be last and have a high payroll. Think there is either pressure from management to cut payroll if we are going to be this bad or Blake and co are smart and setting themselves up for when some of these young kids are RFA’s.

Kings started the year 3rd highest payroll according to cap friendly - now we are 13th.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If LA moves Martinez I wonder what UFA d-man they could get.

Wonder what sort of contract Myers will be looking for.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If LA moves Martinez I wonder what UFA d-man they could get.

Wonder what sort of contract Myers will be looking for.

At that point, just give the job to one of the already 24 year old defensemen in Ontario. Throw Brickley out there next year. If he's not good at 24, he likely never will be. If he is good, you found a younger defenseman.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think the Kings should worry too much about who would replace Martinez. If there is a good deal on the table for Martinez at the trade deadline, Blake should take it.

The Kings are not going to be cup contenders for the next few years at least. The goal now is to find the kid defenseman that is 19-21 years old who will be playing in Martinez' spot in three seasons.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
At that point, just give the job to one of the already 24 year old defensemen in Ontario. Throw Brickley out there next year. If he's not good at 24, he likely never will be. If he is good, you found a younger defenseman.
There still will be more spots to fit Brickely in IMO. He needs to outplay guys an earn a spot.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There still will be more spots to fit Brickely in IMO. He needs to outplay guys an earn a spot.

Doughty, Phaneuf, Forbort, LaDue, Walker, Brickley, Roy, MacDermid.

Unless those Ontario guys really have no NHL talent, and they're signing another Brad Stuart type guy to trade him at the deadline next year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Kings bits:
I’m wondering if Los Angeles makes a play for Panarin. The Kings aren’t interested in a lengthy rebuild, and southern California is believed to be high on the winger’s list of priorities. They could wait until June, but the benefit of getting him now is the eighth year. Los Angeles has two first-rounders (their own and Toronto’s from the Jake Muzzin trade), and have asked a high price for Tyler Toffoli — but that seems an enticing package. Columbus was in on Ilya Kovalchuk, but he has control over where he goes and the Blue Jackets might not want him for two more seasons. Such a move would certainly breathe new life into L.A.
Can’t be sure, but there are rumblings Toronto GM Kyle Dubas asked about Kyle Clifford when he was talking to Los Angeles about Muzzin. Dubas knows Clifford from his days working at Uptown, which still represents the winger. Clifford has a great reputation, and a contract Toronto could fit. Those, of course, are two reasons L.A. is happy to keep him.

Reactions: deaderhead28

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Panarin is a CLASSIC rental......he's already said he wants to test the market, I don't know if LA can give up what CBS would want.......and not pay for that down the future if Panarin leaves.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa

Kings bits:

This honestly makes 0 sense. In what world would we give the Blue Jackets 2 first round picks? I'd be interested in the summer if we can clear some cap space. And even at that, there's been whispers that Panarin and Bobrovsky are a package deal this summer. Don't see the fit or how that'll work.

Reactions: KINGS17

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
No surprise that a young playoff team would be interested in Clifford.

I'm not even going to touch that Panarin comment since it seems like Friedman just musing.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Kings bits:

The Kings don't need the eighth year for Panarin. More years for any forward is a mistake.

Just wait until June. I don't think Panarin solves all of this team's problems, and taking him on an 8-year big contract isn't going to make the Kings contenders. The guy is 27 years old. Is he going to make the Kings contenders before he hits 30 years of age? Doubt it.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

I'm not even going to touch that Panarin comment since it seems like Friedman just musing.

I tend to agree, but I would have a fit if they did that, even if he were extended. I guess unless they cleared the books and built the team around the 3 huge salaries.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I'd just chalk it up as Friedman spit balling ideas only because of Kovalchuk being around and Panarin being said to have interest in LA.

He'll probably wind up in Florida or New York.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I think Kyle Clifford is a bigger part of the Kings culture that was developed under Lombardi than people may think.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Nobody is denying Panarin's talent but the Kings need more than him and it would just throw it off the rails by trading away 2 first rounders. Makes no sense. The Kings are not the Lakers and in dire need of a star at this point. They need depth and this is a perfect year for them to stockpile the farm system by having 3 picks in the Top 35(depending on their 2nd round pick position).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki