Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
About the same time as a 7th round pick has

Pekka Rinne says hello. Mazanec was his backup for a brief period.

I thought at one point he was going to develop as a serviceable backup, but it obviously never happened.

I get that it’s very rare but there are a few prominent NHLers who were drafted in round 7.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Toffoli is just in a weird spot with his age, contract and where the Kings project to be the next 2 seasons.

If you don’t trade him before the deadline it likely means the Kings are looking at extending him because if not it becomes a rental situation next season. I personally would not give Toffoli a 4-5 year extension he is probably looking for so I would move him before the deadline.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Toffoli is just in a weird spot with his age, contract and where the Kings project to be the next 2 seasons.

If you don’t trade him before the deadline it likely means the Kings are looking at extending him because if not it becomes a rental situation next season. I personally would not give Toffoli a 4-5 year extension he is probably looking for so I would move him before the deadline.

Not with where the Kings are...if they were 2-3 years along on a rebuild....I probably would....

Reactions: Herby

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Listening to the Mayor's interview on TSN Radio, he thinks Carter, Martinez and Quick will all be gone before July 1.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Listening to the Mayor's interview on TSN Radio, he thinks Carter, Martinez and Quick will all be gone before July 1.

That would clear up $15M in cap space. I think it is possible and likely to happen, and even with cap flexibility, the organization needs to remain committed to this restructure by injecting some younger, hungrier talent into the lineup.

Now what would be even more impressive is if Blake managed to get out of the Kovalchuk and Phaneuf contracts. It won't make or break the team given they both expire in a couple of years, just in time for when the next expansion draft will be, but it would still be nice to gain anything for them (even if it is just more cap flexibility).

Last edited:
Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I have been frustrated with Toffoli's inconsistency. I first mentioned he's like Michael Ryder.

On the other hand, every team has inconsistent scoring wingers. That's why they usually fall on the 2nd/3rd line.

If Toffoli can be re-signed for equal or less than what he's currently making, given his underwhelming metrics, he might be worth the keep because we know what we have. However, if he's seeking substantially more than what he's making or a long term contract, it would be best to trade him.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Where do people keep seeing this 1% Toffoli chance? I haven't seen it anywhere or heard it. I think that was just made up and people ran with it. Blake certainly hasn't been quoted as saying that.

Toffoli has been less than mediocre and played uninspired most of the season and now that he has scored some goals, people are acting like he is the 2nd coming and should never be moved. Two months ago, people were trying to give him away. It just shows how inconsistent the guy is. If he goes into the tank again for a month, how will people feel about him because it runs hot and cold.

Maybe I am just being critical of the guy but even with his recent goals, he is a Sniper with a whopping 12 goals in 56 games. That's not exactly what screams "Building Block."
John Hoven reported the organization is holding onto Toffoli and he is safe for now and there would be a 1% chance he was dealt this year.Toffolis stock is low as well.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
John Hoven reported the organization is holding onto Toffoli and he is safe for now and there would be a 1% chance he was dealt this year.Toffolis stock is low as well.
If true that’s fine. Hope he has a good end to this year and decent year next year. Trade him at the deadline when/hopefully if his stock improves.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
If true that’s fine. Hope he has a good end to this year and decent year next year. Trade him at the deadline when/hopefully if his stock improves.
It was a while ago and i cant find it.Maybe he upped the 1% since.The newest update was at 20%

•"Will Tyler Toffoli get traded? We say not very likely (maybe less than 20%). And if you missed it, we covered all the reasons why here

10 LA Kings Tidbits: Break Time, Trade Time, It’s Almost Time
John Mayor goes on to say"

"Trades, trades, trades. That seems like all anybody wants to talk about these days – so here goes the latest. It appears Tyler Toffoli is safe for now. After previously exploring moving him earlier this season, the latest round of intel we’ve gathered suggests the Kings are now planning to keep the 26-year-old forward… for at least another year. In short, combined with his low trade value and their desire to see what he’ll do under a new coach next season, Toffoli will most likely stay in a Kings uniform. He’ll be on a short leash, no doubt. Coming off his 31 goal season in 2015-16, that was what the Kings expected annually going forward. When he followed up that campaign with 16 goals in 63 games (which projects to roughly 21 goals over a full season), it was excused away as largely related to an injury, and perhaps a new coach would get him back on track. With 24 goals last season and likely nowhere near that number this season, Toffoli is once again surrounded by questions. In a perfect world, everything lines up nicely for him though. Next season is a contract year, the last of his current three-year deal at $4.6M per, and under a new coach next season, he should be seeing plenty of playing time to get back on tract. The Kings will then be faced with a tough decision one year from now – sign him to an extension or move him at the 2020 Trade Deadline for future assets."

Reactions: LAKings88

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Unless wowed with an offer, it has always made common sense to hold on to him and then make him a 2020 TDL rental move even if he improves. Not going to get much for a guy at his cap hit and production level but you could get something nice at next season's TDL if he rebounds.

If/when the Kings are still not in contention at next year's TDL, you move him and Lewis for assets. Unless it is outlawed under the current CBA, you could always pull a Tkachuk-to-Atlanta move and just sign him right back up as a UFA.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
TT is never going to be more valuable, he's a luxury niche player. He's not worth as much as people have said he is. He's a flawed scorer who's game is inconsistent and not very good overall. If we extend him or even think about extending him it will be throwing good money after bad. Cut your losses, he's not a 40 goal scorer. I would accept a 2nd and a 3rd for this guy and if anyone is dumb enough to give us a 1st we have to take it.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
If/when the Kings are still not in contention at next year's TDL, you move him and Lewis for assets. Unless it is outlawed under the current CBA, you could always pull a Tkachuk-to-Atlanta move and just sign him right back up as a UFA.

It certainly can be done. There was/is talk of that happening with Duchene whereby the Sens could deal him, but he might end up back in Ottawa in the off-season as a free agent.

I believe the same scenario was mentioned earlier this year with Edler.

Roman Polak, Antoine Vermette and possibly Matt Moulson come to mind as guys that have done this in recent years.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I highly doubt Martinez gets moved. At that point you have a real shortage of viable, veteran defensemen.

I’m fine with Carter and Quick being moved, obviously.

If Martinez is moved in the off-season, the Kings could always sign a free agent defenseman to a short term deal or try to acquire one depending on cost.

Would seem like more of an off-season scenario. I think he stays past the deadline.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
TT is never going to be more valuable, he's a luxury niche player. He's not worth as much as people have said he is. He's a flawed scorer who's game is inconsistent and not very good overall. If we extend him or even think about extending him it will be throwing good money after bad. Cut your losses, he's not a 40 goal scorer. I would accept a 2nd and a 3rd for this guy and if anyone is dumb enough to give us a 1st we have to take it.

He would be more valuable as a pure rental at next year's deadline: especially if he is having a decent season. His value is low and the buyer has to eat that full cap hit for next season as well.

You wouldn't get a 1st for him right now but could maybe score an Evander Kane type deal--or better--at next year's deadline. Kane had 20/20 in 61 games at the time of the trade but is a known headcase and has scored only 5 goals in the 26 previous games. Toffoli started last season with 17 goals and 29 points in the first 39 games. The last 16 games of this season, he has 6 goals and 12 points. He's inconsistent but puts up 30 goal paces for a decent amount of time during his hot stretches. Has won a Cup and, for what it is worth, has led the league in +/-.

If he continues this recent hot streak, they really have to think about it if the offers come in but if he doesn't, I'd rather roll the dice that he can have a more consistent season next year and be a top-flight rental.

Reactions: lumbergh

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If Martinez is moved in the off-season, the Kings could always sign a free agent defenseman to a short term deal or try to acquire one depending on cost.

Would seem like more of an off-season scenario. I think he stays past the deadline.

So you trade Marty, only to turn around and trade to get another defenseman to replace the one you just traded? :huh:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The problem with that, is no team would probably not offer more than a B+ prospect for Campbell, or possibly better than a 3rd round draft choice....and yet, he is worth 8 times that....and he's been better than Quick all season.The numbers don't lie...they're not even far away, let alone close. It's Quick you trade. Campbell is better than many NHL starters right now and signed next yr for $700,000.
The Kings survive without Muzzin and Carter and they will survive without Quick. 2019; 5 years removed from last Cup. And all players from that team have slightly regressed to more than slightly regressed. All of them.

The worst trades ever made is dealing a player for 25% of his actual value. Dealing Campbell would be one of those.

You do realize Quick has been in net more times the team has been shelled than Campbell right? Last night was another long example of the team playing terrible in front of him. If Campbell was in net last night, it would've been 10 -5 . You're cherry picking stats with a small sample size.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
So you trade Marty, only to turn around and trade to get another defenseman to replace the one you just traded? :huh:

You look for a defenseman that’s not going to cost much via trade if there isn’t anything you like on the UFA market.

I’m not talking about trading a bunch of assets, rather a minor deal to get a defenseman in with NHL experience to help for a year or two. But the preference is going with a UFA bridge defenseman.

IF Martinez goes in the summer, you have to get in a body or two with NHL experience. Hopefully guys that are somewhat serviceable.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I don’t get all this hype about trading Martinez. Our defense looks horrible right now...

Doughty-Forbort
Martinez-Fattenberg
Phaneuf-Walker
LaDue

Martinez scored one of the most important goals in Kings history. He has the last name Martinez in a city with the largest Hispanic population in the United States. Teammates love him, fans love him. Why deal him. Muzzin I get, he was going to be a UFA in one season and his value was high. Martinez is older and has more term and won’t fetch the same return. I would keep him.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
There's a lot of stuff he says is gonna happen, which doesn't. Mayors a good read but I don't really believe much of what he says.

True. Just passing it along for the conversation. I'll give credit to Hoven for being good on these TSN segments. He does them often. He has the gift of gab.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You look for a defenseman that’s not going to cost much via trade if there isn’t anything you like on the UFA market.

I’m not talking about trading a bunch of assets, rather a minor deal to get a defenseman in with NHL experience to help for a year or two. But the preference is going with a UFA bridge defenseman.

IF Martinez goes in the summer, you have to get in a body or two with NHL experience. Hopefully guys that are somewhat serviceable.

That's my point, you're still trading for a guy who probably does less than Marty after moving a quality dman just to get assets. It's counter productive. Marty carries a 4 mil cap hit for 2 more years, and you bring in a bridge guy for two or three years that will still cost you close to 2-4 mil.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
There's a lot of stuff he says is gonna happen, which doesn't. Mayors a good read but I don't really believe much of what he says.
He's had a good accuracy lately the last two years.Can't blame him for the rumors he hears and reports and stuff changes.Again I get it you dont like him.Remember he just repeats what he hears,hes doesnt make the decisions in the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki