Kinda playing for your Chicago Blackhawks: #86, Teuvo "Turbo" Teravainen!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fRiGi

Sep 6, 2011
Finland
Teravainen interview from wednesday (released today):

"I'm glad I can keep playing somewhere. No point in ending the season yet, it's still snowing outside."

"My goals are high, to play in the NHL. I have to work hard for that, and I have, and I'm getting close to that level."

"I'm lucky to be in an organization like Chicago, a top franchise. They have a great team and have won Cups recently so I'm excited."

http://www.jokerit.com/uutiset/?nid=2964

Nothingman*

Maybe we need a Mod warning in the thread to keep expectations humble.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Q's already said on the team Twitter that Teravainen might not play tonight, as he might want to give him some time to acclimate after the flight over.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Yeah, I don't think the Hawks care about the extra ELC year if Teravainen can help them succeed in the post-season. Just like I don't think they cared about the ELC year with Saad, but obviously the Hawks were knocked out and Saad had the disadvantage of jumping right into a playoff series.

If the Hawks burn a year off his ELC this year, then they could sign him next (2015) summer to an extension.

If we say Teravainen posts 45 points next year (16G, 29A), he'll likely be looking at a 2-year bridge deal at around 2.5-3.0M per if his ELC is burned this year. If the ELC isn't burned and the following season he posts 55-60 points (18G, 40A), you're likely looking at a longer, more costly extension.

So, would you rather try and negotiate a new contract with Teravainen a year from now, or in 2 years when he could very well be one of Chicago's top forwards?

If you have a choice you always take the extra low-cost ELC year.

If Teuvo loses an ELC year his 2nd contract kicks in 2016-17 (say a 2 year bridge deal). That means his 3rd (and MUCH more costly contract) begins 2018-19.

If Teuvo doesn't lose an ELC year his 2nd contract kicks in 2017-18. Yes this has the potential to be more costly than in the previous scenario, but if this contract is also a 2 year bridge then Teuvo's 3rd contract starts 2019-20. If it isn't a 2 year bridge and is a 5 year (more expensive) contract then his 3rd contract starts 2022-23.

Scenario 1: Teuvo burns an ELC year and in 2016-17 has a 2 year bridge worth 3 million.

Scenario 2: Teuvo doesn't burn an ELC and in 2016-17 has a 925K contract (savings of 2.075M. In 2017-18 signs a 2 year bridge worth 4 million (savings -1M, but positive savings the following year). Other option, Teuvo signs a 5-6 year deal worth 5.5 million (savings -2.5M, but very positive savings over the length of the deal).

The fact is that Teuvo's 2nd contract (bridge or not) will be easily cap-manageable by the Hawks as he won't have arbitration rights, and offer sheets are rare. His 3rd contract will be the expensive one.

Now, I am not arguing for Teuvo to not lose an ELC year if he can help in the playoffs. I'm just skeptical that he will have that kind of an immediate impact. My guess is that he will have to have a Saad-like impact for the Hawks to burn an ELC year.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah, I don't think the Hawks care about the extra ELC year if Teravainen can help them succeed in the post-season. Just like I don't think they cared about the ELC year with Saad, but obviously the Hawks were knocked out and Saad had the disadvantage of jumping right into a playoff series.

If the Hawks burn a year off his ELC this year, then they could sign him next (2015) summer to an extension.

If we say Teravainen posts 45 points next year (16G, 29A), he'll likely be looking at a 2-year bridge deal at around 2.5-3.0M per if his ELC is burned this year. If the ELC isn't burned and the following season he posts 55-60 points (18G, 40A), you're likely looking at a longer, more costly extension.

So, would you rather try and negotiate a new contract with Teravainen a year from now, or in 2 years when he could very well be one of Chicago's top forwards?

If Teuvo turns into a top forward that's a very good problem to have.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I don't no what teravainen point projection is but Granlund is on about point per game.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I heard that Teuvo is actually the result of a top secret Finnish genetics project to combine Wayne Gretzky with Bobby Orr.

eenok*

yo chicago yo hello!

second coming here. i got put in corner first time ..im from anaheim boards yeah..from speaking the truth to half year in corner can you believe!?

congrats in teräväinen hes gonna rock. he wuold have been diamond for finnish team at olympics but the finnish teambrains dont work ( too long story )...anyway.........so im new here! im

EENOK,HOCKEYPROFESSOR,IL,FINLAND:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad