Value of: Kevin Fiala

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
McTavish, Drysdale...so nothing too crazy.

Seriously though, I'd imagine it would include a prospect like Perreault, Zellweger, Pastujov, maybe Tracey, Thrun or Lacombe. I also think Lundestrom could be of interest, even though he's not a prospect anymore. It would just depend on what Guerin is interested in.

I don't think any of those guys would be off the table. I'm sure they would like to avoid moving Lundestrom since he is a mainstay on the Ducks roster already.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think any of those guys would be off the table. I'm sure they would like to avoid moving Lundestrom since he is a mainstay on the Ducks roster already.

Yeah I don't think they are either. The caveat with half of those is that we've already got a pretty solid pipeline of LD prospects with Lambos, O'Rourke, Hunt and Peart, so Zellweger, Thrun and Lacombe might not be of that much interest. I really liked Pastujov at the draft and wanted him with our second round pick. Perreault is probably the most interesting, but possibly one of the most unavailable. Like I said, it all comes down to Guerin's preferences in that hypothetical trade.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Yeah I don't think they are either. The caveat with half of those is that we've already got a pretty solid pipeline of LD prospects with Lambos, O'Rourke, Hunt and Peart, so Zellweger, Thrun and Lacombe might not be of that much interest. I really liked Pastujov at the draft and wanted him with our second round pick. Perreault is probably the most interesting, but possibly one of the most unavailable. Like I said, it all comes down to Guerin's preferences in that hypothetical trade.

I know it isnt the same but Zellweger and Thrun both play their offside just as well as the left from all accounts.

Pasta and Perreault seem like the obvious options but I think Perreault may be getting to the point where Ducks brass is hesitant to move him.

Perrault+ or Pastujov+ are two that come to mind. Idk about Tracey. Or do the ducks just want to wait a few years and not rush things by trading picks etc.

I don't think there is a problem with the Ducks trading futures for a guy like Fiala who is only 25.

What would you want the + to be with those guys?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I know it isnt the same but Zellweger and Thrun both play their offside just as well as the left from all accounts.

Pasta and Perreault seem like the obvious options but I think Perreault may be getting to the point where Ducks brass is hesitant to move him.

I don't think there is a problem with the Ducks trading futures for a guy like Fiala who is only 25.

What would you want the + to be with those guys?
At least a 2nd. But I think everyone would prefer to use Fiala in a trade for a center.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
The dude is the most snakebit forward in history. He torches teams and electrifies an arena. When he gets in straight he will be a top ten winger. I will be pissed if Billy G does anything other that signing him long term

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Perrault+ or Pastujov+ are two that come to mind. Idk about Tracey. Or do the ducks just want to wait a few years and not rush things by trading picks etc.
I don’t think it is an issue, we have cap and we prob could use another top 6 guy which we hope perreault/pasta/Tracey might fill…. But I’d 100% trade any of pasta/comtois/perreault/ Tracey/ Jones + 2nd for.

The guys I’d avoid moving are thrun zellweger mctavish dostal and Lundy.

I suggested on ducks boards

1 of our wingers(Tracey/perreault/pastujov/comtois)
2022 2nd + sam steel
for
Fiala

sam steel isn’t a sexy center you prob lookin for but could be a bit of a stop gap/work in progesss

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The dude is the most snakebit forward in history. He torches teams and electrifies an arena. When he gets in straight he will be a top ten winger. I will be pissed if Billy G does anything other that signing him long term
Would be insane if the ducks went for him…. Imagine having to play
Zegras terry fiala(not on same line) so much skill

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
stat watching, not much. watching tape and seeing how incredibly snake bitten he is? 7+ easily. he creates and creates a lot. he has smoked iron at least 20 times this year and dangles through defends just to barely miss or the puck bounces. he is an offensive machine who just cannot finish right now but if his shooting % goes to at least 10 instead of his current 4, he will still have a shot at hitting 40 goals.

Fiala has never had more than 23 goals in an NHL season. I would be surprised if he made it to 30 this year based on his career scoring average of 1 goal per 4 games (0.26 GPG). He is under average with 6 goals in 30 games (1 in 5 or he projects to 16 goals in 80 games this year at that pace.) He has played 80 games twice in his NHL career.

I don't see him ever getting 40 goals. My math says he peaks at 32 goals and in a bad year he has 14.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Fiala has never had more than 23 goals in an NHL season. I would be surprised if he made it to 30 this year based on his career scoring average of 1 goal per 4 games (0.26 GPG). He is under average with 6 goals in 30 games (1 in 5 or he projects to 16 goals in 80 games this year at that pace.) He has played 80 games twice in his NHL career.

I don't see him ever getting 40 goals. My math says he peaks at 32 goals and in a bad year he has 14.

McDavid never scored more than 41 goals in season, but people still call him generational and compare him to Gretzky. Weird, isn't it?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

the 2 shortened seasons that he played in full and his trade year he played 83 games, he was pacing for near 40, easily 30+. as i said if you are stat watching he isnt worth much but if you have actually watched him the last 2 years along with this year you know his worth.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

He has 6 goals and has hit the post/crossbar a league leading 8 times (4 times each). On top of that, his shooting percentage of 6.2% is way below his career average. Based on these numbers, I would say he probably should have 10-14 goals at this point of the year, and the eye test backs this up. He's just had bad puck luck.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fiala's mediocre production relative to his talent level is because of;

- Terrible linemates. Confirmed 4th liners like Rask, Gaudreau, etc.

- Bad luck. He really has been hittng a lot of iron.

- He tends to overhandle the puck, and try and do it all himself, i.e., will get past two players, then will lose the puck while trying to get past the 3rd. Some might argue that if it's a choice between passing to Victor Rask or trying to stickhandle past an opponent then you do the latter, even if it's against someone like Slavin.

The jury is still out on how good of a player Fiala is. He is fast, as well as quick, with excellent hands and shot. Surprisingly strong for a guy that 5'10"- size is not an issue. If anything, he needs to calm down, as he tends to take penalties. The only thing that might limit him is his hockey IQ. His creativity is really good, but has trouble id'ing when to, and not to, make a risky pass or play. A lot of Wild fans are hoping that he gets to play with a talented linemate(Boldy? Rossi?) if/before we decide to trade him. He definitely has the talent to be a 60-75 pt player, IMO.

It could also be that he is a talented player that simply underproduces in the NHL for his entire career.:dunno:

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He has 6 goals and has hit the post/crossbar a league leading 8 times (4 times each). On top of that, his shooting percentage of 6.2% is way below his career average. Based on these numbers, I would say he probably should have 10-14 goals at this point of the year, and the eye test backs this up. He's just had bad puck luck.

My math says that at 30 games Fiala should have 8 goals. That is the importance of calculating goals per game played versus the inexact and often incorrect eye test. (You need to read the book or watch the Moneyball movie released in 2011.) As I originally posted, he is under his average pace of goals (by only 2 goals at the moment and not the 4 to 8 that you believe). In an average 80 game season, Fiala should have 21 goals, with a +/- of 8 to 10 goals.

Fiala's problem, whether you call it bad luck or poor line mates or an idiot for a coach or a GM, is that he never has that plus season to get to 30 goals. So far, this isn't his break through season. Goal scorers can be streaky, bad or good. If he can score more than 3 or 4 goals over the next 10 games, he would be back on track for his average season.

To project his 20 goals in 50 games (0.40 GPG) last season to this season isn't reasonable. He needs to do that for 2 or 3 seasons in a row. Fiala is regressing to his mean this season (21 goals). At the moment, the Wild are playing about the same as last season (0.670 versus 0.666 winning percentage) but he is down a little. That tells me that he or his line is the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad