Kerfoot is killing me...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wrong about Holl? Not at all. He needs to go. Timmins is a cheaper alternative and a better player in every way.
That’s completely false and not even close at the current time. Holl is superior defensively and on the PK, and it’s not close. Timmins has very good upside, and with time and experience has the opportunity to be better.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That’s completely false and not even close at the current time. Holl is superior defensively and on the PK, and it’s not close. Timmins has very good upside, and with time and experience has the opportunity to be better.

I think the offence that Timmons brings Trumps the defence that Holl brings. Timmons has 14 points in 21 games, 0,67 pts/g, in a 82 game season that is a 55 point pace. That pace is good for 9th best. Better than Morrissey, Burns, Chychurn, Ekblad, Fox, Klingburg. Granted when given harder minutes against tougher opponents he was a hot mess but in a 5/6 role he dominates. Holl is struggling right now and it does no one any favors to let him play.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If I had to choose between Holl or Timmins in the lineup heading into the playoffs, it would be Holl. Mainly because he’s a far better defenceman on the penalty kill which will be crucial in the playoffs.

However, I’m a big fan of Timmins and think he’s a perfect guy for the third pairing moving forward at a great contract for the next two seasons.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Kerfoot is a solid NHL forward, but nothing special. The problem with Kerf is that he is never going to be more then a ~40pt player who is average at all aspects of the game. Never do you see anything overwhelm you on either end of the ice with Kerf. But I also think that is why Sheldon loves him so much. He plays no/low event minutes. Unfortunately at 3.5AAV we need more then just low event minutes under our cap construction. We get the same if not more on ice value out of Jarnkrok at less than 2/3rds of the cost. Very similar players.

Kerfoot is almost 100% not resigning with us next season. We have ELC contracts that can fill his current role no problem. Ideally I'd like him to be the money moved out in a bigger TDL move where we need to absorb a bit more AAV. His minutes are highly replaceable IMO

Reactions: banks

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Good wheels, good motor, but his on-board navigation system gets a little screwy. Couldn't park between the painted lines to save his life . Little pricy for a used vehicle.

... Sorry, I didn't really think that analogy out beyond the first four or five words.

• Haha
Reactions: Mentat and banks

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
His hands are made of the finest chiseled marble. Just pure, polished stone that belongs in a museum. Maybe we can just detach them and transplant Nick Robertson's hands so he can score another goal one day. Or maybe it's a medical issue and scoring goals makes him break out into hives.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the offence that Timmons brings Trumps the defence that Holl brings. Timmons has 14 points in 21 games, 0,67 pts/g, in a 82 game season that is a 55 point pace. That pace is good for 9th best. Better than Morrissey, Burns, Chychurn, Ekblad, Fox, Klingburg. Granted when given harder minutes against tougher opponents he was a hot mess but in a 5/6 role he dominates. Holl is struggling right now and it does no one any favors to let him play.

I agree that Holl has had a bad stretch the last few games. He does need a break, and to refocus.

That being said, for the playoffs, we need the defensive strength that Holl provides, particularly on the PP. Timmins can continue to learn, and get a full time role next year. It would be great if we could dress seven though, and use them depending on the need.

1676564687417.png

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I agree that Holl has had a bad stretch the last few games. He does need a break, and to refocus.

That being said, for the playoffs, we need the defensive strength that Holl provides, particularly on the PP. Timmins can continue to learn, and get a full time role next year. It would be great if we could dress seven though, and use them depending on the need.

View attachment 651242

Don't disagree with anything you said. Is that graph saying Rasmus is our best defender?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Don't disagree with anything you said. Is that graph saying Rasmus is our best defender?

Yes, that is kind of what it is saying... with that one measurement. :laugh:

Ya... he's not been our best, but he's been pretty good for sure. He has his warts, but he's rounding into a pretty good D. Playing pretty physical now too.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Good wheels, good motor, but his on-board navigation system gets a little screwy. Couldn't park between the painted lines to save his life . Little pricy for a used vehicle.

... Sorry, I didn't really think that analogy out beyond the first four or five words.
Todd Warriner/Rob Niedermayer syndrome. Great skaters but their cpu cannot keep up.

You have to take it with a grain of salt cause he plays much more sheltered minutes than someone like Gio or Brodie

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Yes, that is kind of what it is saying... with that one measurement. :laugh:

Ya... he's not been our best, but he's been pretty good for sure. He has his warts, but he's rounding into a pretty good D. Playing pretty physical now too.

You had me convinced, until that graph ;) :P

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Feel bad for Marner, he could have had a solid 4 assist night last night. Kerfoot is such a bad fit in the top 6. He's a mediocre 3rd liner.

Again, what is it with people and Kerfoot and Holl? Kerfoot made a great play on the Tavares goal that never gets mentioned. He can't finish but he does plenty of other things well.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Again, what is it with people and Kerfoot and Holl? Kerfoot made a great play on the Tavares goal that never gets mentioned. He can't finish but he does plenty of other things well.
They are the two most unlikeable players on the team and Holl in particular has a penchant for making some of the ugliest hockey plays ever.

Kerfoot not only can’t finish but generally doesn’t have a good sense for how the play is developing. He’s frustrating to watch with our skilled players because he can’t really process the plays they are trying to make. And he’s not really able to physically impose himself in a bottom 6 role. That being said he’s a borderline elite skater (his skating is quite underrated imo) and he hustles really hard, can’t ever complain about his effort. He’s definitely not our worst player, but doesn’t really have a role and I find him a hard player to root for especially knowing we decided to keep him over a better player in McCann

Reactions: ACC1224

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Probably what I said in my OP. That he's a mediocre 3rd liner stuck playing as a top 6 winger. I wouldn't mind him in the bottom 6 but it's pretty evident he isn't a top 6 player.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Please explain with any evidence at all how Timmins is a better defensive player and PKer than Holl.

Man some of you are really dilusional with your hate of Holl. Just full blinders
Holl cannot clear pucks, or contain players ...he's just a decent skating big body with a long (but soft) stick.
he is useless, except as an oversized pylon

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
They are the two most unlikeable players on the team and Holl in particular has a penchant for making some of the ugliest hockey plays ever.

Kerfoot not only can’t finish but generally doesn’t have a good sense for how the play is developing. He’s frustrating to watch with our skilled players because he can’t really process the plays they are trying to make. And he’s not really able to physically impose himself in a bottom 6 role. That being said he’s a borderline elite skater (his skating is quite underrated imo) and he hustles really hard, can’t ever complain about his effort. He’s definitely not our worst player, but doesn’t really have a role and I find him a hard player to root for especially knowing we decided to keep him over a better player in McCann
Among the high profile players left exposed for the Seattle Kraken to choose from for the July 21st expansion draft are pending free agents Zach Hyman and Frederik Andersen along with forwards Alex Kerfoot, Wayne Simmonds, Jason Spezza, Joe Thornton and defecemen Zach Bogosian and Travis Dermott.

The Leafs didn't protect Kerfoot. Seattle just chose McCann

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t think Kerfoot is as bad as most say, same could be said for Holl. However, those are areas I would like to see the team improve on.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Holl cannot clear pucks, or contain players ...he's just a decent skating big body with a long (but soft) stick.
he is useless, except as an oversized pylon
He is not useless. He is pretty solid on the PK. He does make some brain dead plays, to be sure, but he's quite serviceable as a 3rd pair dman.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Among the high profile players left exposed for the Seattle Kraken to choose from for the July 21st expansion draft are pending free agents Zach Hyman and Frederik Andersen along with forwards Alex Kerfoot, Wayne Simmonds, Jason Spezza, Joe Thornton and defecemen Zach Bogosian and Travis Dermott.

The Leafs didn't protect Kerfoot. Seattle just chose McCann
Yeah you’re right, my mistake.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
He is not useless. He is pretty solid on the PK. He does make some brain dead plays, to be sure, but he's quite serviceable as a 3rd pair dman.
next time he's in, watch close... he has a 'good stick' when trying to stop passes, yet, this is what you need to watch:
Corner/board puck battles, he seldom wins the puck
clearing attempts, typically soft, and dont make it out
net front positioning, almost always on the wrong side of the defender to tie up either the player or their stick
...he also gets outmuscled for positioning, even by smaller players.

so, as long as the other team is just passing the puck around the outside, he's great on the PK, but, as soon as its on his stick, or the play is in front of the net, he's quite bad.

Watch the next game, and feel free to tell me i'm wrong if you dont see exactly what i'm saying.

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
Please explain with any evidence at all how Timmins is a better defensive player and PKer than Holl.

Man some of you are really dilusional with your hate of Holl. Just full blinders
Just watch the games. Holl is a liability. Big guy that plays small in front of the net. Low hockey IQ. Timmins will be amazing. His stats are already better than Holl and he has played 35 fewer games. PLus Timmins plays on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00