Confirmed with Link: Keith Jones actually set to be named real life part-time President of Hockey Operations, Danny Briere full-time GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Only 48 years to the day. Tick tock, we're waiting....

At this point, I've given up all hope of reliving the fun I had as a 13-year old watching the Flyers beat the French Connection in the fog. It's not looking good to see another Cup no matter how long I manage to live, as #ANewErrorInOrange led by a bunch of clowns begins. #FlyersCup2035?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But they are grinding and trying really hard. Flyers hockey!
If you don't have talent, what are the options?
No G, no Couts, no Atkinson last season.

Foerster will add offense, Gauthier in 2024-25, Brink?
Farabee bouncing back with a full offseason to add strength.
But it'll take a couple seasons to build up a top nine with skill.
Until then, if you don't grind, you're going to get blown out night after night trying to skate with good offensive teams.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you don't have talent, what are the options?
No G, no Couts, no Atkinson last season.

Foerster will add offense, Gauthier in 2024-25, Brink?
Farabee bouncing back with a full offseason to add strength.
But it'll take a couple seasons to build up a top nine with skill.
Until then, if you don't grind, you're going to get blown out night after night trying to skate with good offensive teams.

How can they not have talent if Fletcher didn't make any mistakes?

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
So are you guys trading Konecny? Because no offence but no other teams expect flyers to make playoffs for at least 2 years. I would cash in on Konecny before this teams sinks him.

Not like he’s a center.

Teams that would be interested on top of my head
red wings
Flames
Canucks
Penguins
Leafs
Preds

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So are you guys trading Konecny? Because no offence but no other teams expect flyers to make playoffs for at least 2 years. I would cash in on Konecny before this teams sinks him.

Not like he’s a center.

red wings
Flames
Canucks
Penguins
Leafs
Preds
Think it depends on what teams offer, I think a minimum is a 1st and a solid prospect.
Since Flyers are on a 3-5 year plan, they want players/prospects under 25 years old.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Think it depends on what teams offer, I think a minimum is a 1st and a solid prospect.
Since Flyers are on a 3-5 year plan, they want players/prospects under 25 years old.
I know Canucks fans were discussing 11th overall for Konecny.

But a winger like this is rarely available so wouldn’t be surprised if other teams outbid that. Not even sure if that gets it done though.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
An outsider's view, from ProHockeyRumors mailbag:

Black Ace57: What do you make of the Flyers’ new front office approach? I personally think Briere and Jones will do a good job helping rebuild the Flyers brand, but what are the chances of power struggles between the FO and Tortorella with this setup?

I wasn’t a big fan of the Keith Jones hiring, to be honest. If you’re going to go with a first-time GM as they did in Daniel Briere, having someone with legitimate front office experience to go with him seemed like something they should have been looking for. Granted, Jones knows the Philadelphia market better than any other external candidate that would have been considered and that counts for something, especially from a marketing standpoint. But he doesn’t have a real background in contract negotiation, agent relations, etc. They’re going to need an experienced assistant GM to help fill some of those gaps.

I don’t think there’s going to be much of a power struggle, to be honest. John Tortorella knows that he doesn’t have a lot of years left in this league, that’s just a reality of a veteran coach nowadays. If he tries to go over Briere’s head when there’s a disagreement on personnel moves, I’d think the franchise would side with the up-and-comer and Tortorella would be out of a job. I don’t mind the idea of him having some say. All coaches do to an extent and Tortorella has been around long enough that he knows a lot of players and can help fill in some gaps with an inexperienced front office. As I noted with Jones, this isn’t the exact route I’d have gone if it were up to me but I think it’ll work out well enough.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He did the bare minimum coaching. Set the highest level of play scheming, and that's about it. No planning on breakouts, no planning on entry, no planning in the OZ. Only time you'd see any pre-thought play was on an OZ faceoff after a timeout. Lazy-ass coach who told us he no longer bothers doing that stuff and then spent all year proving it.

Attention to detail is vital. Our guy doesn't bother with it anymore, and for some reason is being rewarded for it. He's as lazy as AV was, but has been given more influence than he had, and he had too much. It's kind of amazing how everything this team does is slightly worse than whatever they were doing before. A constant downward spiral.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

Not like he’s a center.

red wings
Flames
Canucks
Penguins
Leafs
Preds
A lot of talk of whether to trade Konecny and Hart as part of the teardown. Clear that Hayes will be gone if they can find a taker, and Provy is probably gone too.

If Briere thinks he can complete the rebuild in 5 years, it might be worth extending Hart and Konecny and building around them. We're stuck with Couts and Sanheim forever. That's fine, they are good players, if healthy.

The Flyers need an elite 1C, and elite 1D, and several top line wingers/top 4 d-men, as well as to maintain the goaltending. Will that take more than 5 years? Probably. Is Ersson good enough to usurp Hart as starter? Maybe. In that case, trade everybody!

At any rate, there are a lot of rebuilding teams with loads of draft picks in this draft, including multiple 1sts and 2nds. They need to get a lottery 1st and 2nd, at minimum, for Provy, possibly more. Risto got that and he absolutely stinks. If they could get a 2nd for Hayes, it will be a miracle. I'd trade Farabee too, just not fast enough to be a top winger and won't fight enough for Torts.

Briere might decide to trade the lot of them, as long as Torts lets him. We'll see. Jones will explain after why their rebuild strategy represents something new and innovative! It's a modified tank, more like an armoured vehicle with wings! #ANewErrorInOrange

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trading Farabee would be stupid. He's only 23, coming off a season where he had no chance to get in shape, and still put up respectable numbers.
From 19-21 he was 42nd in pp/60 (5x5), next season he could be even better with a chance to add strength this summer.
He's got the hands and instincts to score in the dirty areas, just needs to get stronger (some of which will come with physical maturity).

Flyers could use a top playmaking center (not necessarily elite, but better than Frost, at least top 2nd line quality and hopefully median 1st line).
With Farabee, Tippett, Foerster, Gauthier, they should have 4 top 6 forwards, Couts, Frost and ??? at center.
Cates, Desnoyers, Lycksell??? They need depth as well as that top center.

Assuming TK, Hayes, Laughton, Allison, Atkinson, all are gone in 2 years.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Trading Farabee would be stupid. He's only 23, coming off a season where he had no chance to get in shape, and still put up respectable numbers.
From 19-21 he was 42nd in pp/60 (5x5), next season he could be even better with a chance to add strength this summer.
He's got the hands and instincts to score in the dirty areas, just needs to get stronger (some of which will come with physical maturity).

Flyers could use a top playmaking center (not necessarily elite, but better than Frost, at least top 2nd line quality and hopefully median 1st line).
With Farabee, Tippett, Foerster, Gauthier, they should have 4 top 6 forwards, Couts, Frost and ??? at center.
Cates, Desnoyers, Lycksell??? They need depth as well as that top center.

Assuming TK, Hayes, Laughton, Allison, Atkinson, all are gone in 2 years.

The Flyers need an elite playmaking center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad