Confirmed with Link: Keith Jones actually set to be named real life part-time President of Hockey Operations, Danny Briere full-time GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Dan Hilferty has been hard at work procuring new sponsorships with white new balances, metamucil and Turner Classic Movies

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
And apparently it worked, because people are still talking about it.
People are still talking about it because certain people on here don’t live in reality. That’s it. We’re talking about it at this very moment because people claim to know what he really meant and it’s fantasy in order to defend the man and the organization.

If those same people could just say “hey, that’s a stupid thing to say” we wouldn’t be talking about it.

Reactions: kudymen

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When the other team has the puck McDavid is not a detriment on defense. Tortorella thinks he is because he is an idiot.

Draisaitl might be though lol

I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that Torts often speaks in hyperbole...particularly when he was an ESPN analyst. Though I hate to get in the way of the agenda of certain people here.

Seems like you have a "defend Torts at all costs" agenda. Even going so far as it take something he said verbatim and claim it was hyperbole, which is impossible to prove. Why is that, exactly? What is it about Torts that makes you want to go to bat for him? He hasn't had much success as an NHL coach in over a decade, and he's only been past the 1st round in 5 of his 21 seasons coaching.

I think what it comes to for most defenders is that they just love personalities like Torts that aren't afraid to speak their mind and "tell it like it is," even if all evidence proves that's not "how it is."

Cult of Personality.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
People are still talking about it because certain people on here don’t live in reality. That’s it. We’re talking about it at this very moment because people claim to know what he really meant and it’s fantasy in order to defend the man and the organization.

If those same people could just say “hey, that’s a stupid thing to say” we wouldn’t be talking about it.
You and a couple other posters post about Torts 20x/day each. It's an obsession. Don't try to blame your fixation on other posters. You'd be finding reasons to complain about Torts all day every day even if they weren't here.

Reactions: tucson83

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You and a couple other posters post about Torts 20x/day each. It's an obsession. Don't try to blame your fixation on other posters. You'd be finding reasons to complain about Torts all day every day even if they weren't here.

Nah, if Tortorella weren't giving reasons to criticize that would be great.

He does though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm still waiting for the list of "progressive" coaches.

Sullivan is a Torts protege.
Cassidy is a martinet.
Brind'Amour has a similar philosophy (former Selke)
Maurice, Ruff, etc.

Basically you have Jon Cooper, Jared Bednar and Sheldon Keefe?

2013 article about the new breed of "players coaches":
Adam Oates, Dallas Eakins, Dan Bylsma, Kirk Muller, Peter DeBoer, Dave Tippett

Seems the new fangled HCs are no more and maybe less successful than the Dinos.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Cassidy is a martinet.

You say these things — like Jones and Tulsky are the same level of unknown — and assume we should treat them as fact. But we don’t have to treat this idea of Torts being similar to these coaches as fact. We don’t have to use your definition of progressive either.

Sullivan absolutely was a Torts protege, but he’s surpassed him by tenfold. No one said a coach can’t be a bit of an asshole (to a point — Sullivan has emotional intelligence), but as it always works, shtick goes as far as results. Sullivan runs circles around Tortorella as a tactician, he’s adored by his core players, he’s more accomplished in this era. He doesn’t have to do the Cult of Personality thing to make up for his many weaknesses in a game that’s passed him by. Sullivan is what Tort’s worshippers imagine Tortorella to be.

Brindy is as beloved as any coach in the league — guys would run through a wall for him because he’s a master at messaging. He’s absolutely a player’s coach with high emotional IQ. I wouldn’t call him an Xs and Os savant, but his systems and marinated organizational philosophies produce results every year. Because they dump the puck in a lot, with success, he’s not progressive in other ways? It sounds like you’re the one with the over-simplistic definition.

And the key thing you choose to ignore: all these coaches have results. They win playoff rounds, they have dynamite metrics, top teams seek them out or would. What does Tortorella have besides his paper thin house of bluff and bluster? No team in the league wanted Tortorella besides the Flyers. Surely, you of all people understand how a market works.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
You say these things — like Jones and Tulsky are the same level of unknown — and assume we should treat them as fact. But we don’t have to treat this idea of Torts being similar to these coaches as fact.

Sullivan absolutely was a Torts protege, but he’s surpassed him by tenfold. No one said a coach can’t be a bit of an asshole (to a point — Sullivan has emotional intelligence), but as it always works, shtick goes as far as results. Sullivan runs circles around Tortorella as a tactician, he’s adored by his core players, he’s more accomplished in this era. He doesn’t have to do the Cult of Personality thing to make up for his many weaknesses in a game that’s passed him by.

Brindy is as beloved as any coach in the league. He’s absolutely a player’s coach. I wouldn’t call him an Xs and Os savant, but his systems and passed down organizational philosophies produce results every year.

And the key thing you choose to ignore: all these coaches have results. They win playoff rounds, they have dynamite metrics. What does Tortorella have besides his paper thin house of bluff and bluster?
Marty St. Louis.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Been reading back this thread, the past 24 hours of it. Loved the part where the most dishonest full-of-himself guy on the website liked posts accusing (falsely) someone else of dishonesty. Trolling 100/100

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Cassidy is a martinet.
Maurice, Ruff, etc.

Speaking of waiting for lists of coaches, werent YOU asked yesterday in this very thread to list coaches who are (heavily) involved in drafts by @Beef Invictus?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Speaking of waiting for lists of coaches, werent YOU asked yesterday in this very thread to list coaches who are (heavily) involved in drafts by @Beef Invictus?
No idea. Nothing came up when I searched for ANY HC.
Because I doubt any HC is directly involved, and I doubt Torts will be directly involved. Can't imagine him viewing hours of film, can you?

Where HCs are involved, it would be to give the personnel head a general idea of the qualities he thinks would be a good fit for what he's doing.
If you assume you're gonna fire your HC a couple years after hiring him, why did you hire him?
So a GM would want to draft players who are general fits - but not for specific needs.
In that sense, I think HCs that the GM is committed to building a team for get significant input.

So I don't see the Flyers drafting figure skaters or offensively skilled "prima donnas," but someone like Benson would be a perfect fit.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that Torts often speaks in hyperbole...particularly when he was an ESPN analyst. Though I hate to get in the way of the agenda of certain people here.
Sorry won't insult Torts anymore. Great coach. Very confident in the direction of this franchise. Great team. Sorry again.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
The more time I spend on this forum the more I realize how much of a waste of time it is.
Same stupid arguments by the same people.
The off topic threads are nice. Enter elsewhere and like you said.... unless the Flyers actually do something meaningful it will stay the same posters doing their thing for whatever reason

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
I love how the brass just love to bring up other GM's opinions of the team, "Oh yeah the Flyers under Torts are really tough to play against, hard place to play."

What those quotes don't include is the context nor the 2 minutes of manic laughter after the words left the GM's mouth.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Cassidy is a martinet.
Maurice, Ruff, etc.

This is completely insane, comparing Sullivan and Brindamour to Tortorella as if they're remotely similar.

What next, Deslauriers is good because he's a winger who like hits, and Ovechkin also likes hitting?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I love how the brass just love to bring up other GM's opinions of the team, "Oh yeah the Flyers under Torts are really tough to play against, hard place to play."

What those quotes don't include is the context nor the 2 minutes of manic laughter after the words left the GM's mouth.

That's the kind of thing Hockey Guys like to say when they can't think of anything else positive

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You say these things — like Jones and Tulsky are the same level of unknown — and assume we should treat them as fact. But we don’t have to treat this idea of Torts being similar to these coaches as fact. We don’t have to use your definition of progressive either.

Sullivan absolutely was a Torts protege, but he’s surpassed him by tenfold. No one said a coach can’t be a bit of an asshole (to a point — Sullivan has emotional intelligence), but as it always works, shtick goes as far as results. Sullivan runs circles around Tortorella as a tactician, he’s adored by his core players, he’s more accomplished in this era. He doesn’t have to do the Cult of Personality thing to make up for his many weaknesses in a game that’s passed him by. Sullivan is what Tort’s worshippers imagine Tortorella to be.

Brindy is as beloved as any coach in the league — guys would run through a wall for him because he’s a master at messaging. He’s absolutely a player’s coach with high emotional IQ. I wouldn’t call him an Xs and Os savant, but his systems and marinated organizational philosophies produce results every year. Because they dump the puck in a lot, with success, he’s not progressive in other ways? It sounds like you’re the one with the over-simplistic definition.

And the key thing you choose to ignore: all these coaches have results. They win playoff rounds, they have dynamite metrics, top teams seek them out or would. What does Tortorella have besides his paper thin house of bluff and bluster? No team in the league wanted Tortorella besides the Flyers. Surely, you of all people understand how a market works.

Carolina runs a lot of designed stuff on entries, including dump ins, which helps them be so successful. They're not all just collectively winging it in spectacular fashion and having it all work out consistently by sheer luck and chemistry through a changing roster. Their coach schemes things up to help his team succeed. It's a very good idea. It's also the opposite of what Tortorella does, which is, per his own words...nothing. Small wonder the Flyers look consistently disorganized relatives to other teams. It isn't just the sad lack of talent.

But hey, he won a couple Selkes when he was a player, so obviously as a coach he's the same thing as Tortorella in terms of outlook.

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

nacc BLOCC

Apr 16, 2019
The more time I spend on this forum the more I realize how much of a waste of time it is.
Same stupid arguments by the same people.

yeah if you’re coming to this board for flyers discussion just go round the way and face a septa bus instead.

but over the years i’ve learned who’s a moron and who isn’t and i like the sixers and eagles threads and i am too old to invest time sussing out morons on an eagles or sixers board.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
yeah if you’re coming to this board for flyers discussion just go round the way and face a septa bus instead.

but over the years i’ve learned who’s a moron and who isn’t and i like the sixers and eagles threads and i am too old to invest time sussing out morons on an eagles or sixers board.
We're in a thread about hiring Keith Jones as President of Hockey Operations...wtf kind of discussion do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad