Confirmed with Link: Keith Jones actually set to be named real life part-time President of Hockey Operations, Danny Briere full-time GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
No moves have been made to address the player developmental staff, the medical team or the assistant GM’s or coaching staff.
no moves of any import have been made..

jones is a nothing burger.. the oldbois club/coach and ALL support staff remain.

hell even Briere is nothing more then hopium until proven otherwise.

the fact he was behind the shittruck signing is a massive red flag...in a time when we cant have any more...

guess we'll see were he falls this summer.

Take Lahoe
whats the soup of the day ?

🤣

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I mean, it's possible 8 other Eastern Conference teams come down with an epidemic of arm-fall-offitis, but I don't think it's "far from zero."
The only thing standing in the way of Tortorella's Philadelphia Dinos are the 8 Eastern playoff teams where the 8th seed the Cup Finals, plus Washington, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa and NYI.

Easy peasy.

It was addressed. Whether the problem was dealt with or not, only future results will bear out.
There will be multiple major injuries every season no matter who the medical people are. Cause it's the NHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
These are Cates' numbers prior to December 7th, just in case anyone was falling for the nonsense that he didn't play center all season.

467:11 TOI (2nd of all forwards)
17:59 TOI/GP (4th)

346:30 ES TOI (3rd)
13:04 ES TOI/GP (6th)

Faceoffs
Hayes 335
Laughton 299
Cates 292
Frost 228

Hayes was moved to the wing long before December 7th

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
These are Cates' numbers prior to December 7th, just in case anyone was falling for the nonsense that he didn't play center all season.

Faceoffs
Hayes 335
Laughton 299
Cates 292
Frost 228

It's not hard to head back through the GDTs to see the lineups. Starting in Game 2, every lineup used the prior game as a base with tweaks based on reporting from practice and skates.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's not hard to head back through the GDTs to see the lineups. Starting in Game 2, every lineup used the prior game as a base with tweaks based on reporting from practice and skates.
Who the heck here had time to waste reading the ...

Oh, I mean, of course we all remember this essential information from the GDTs!

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The medical team was dealt with last year, the rest probably has to wait until the season end when contracts expire.
3) There are rumblings that Briere and new president of hockey operations Keith Jones are planning to make several changes this offseason in the hockey ops side; some of which may have already gone down but have not yet been publicly announced.

It's been rumored but NOT yet officially confirmed that Alyn McCauley's player personnel director role will be expanded this summer. Phantoms assistant coach Riley Armstrong (who already worked under Briere before with the ECHL's Maine Mariners) may be shifting to a prominent player development staff role. Additionally, after 29 straight years of working in the management side of NHL hockey and 33 consecutive years in coaching and then in management, 67-year-old Mike O'Connell may be retiring from his role as the organization's senior advisor on player development.

Faceoffs
Hayes 335
Laughton 299
Cates 292
Frost 228

what a great 6th rd pick Cates ha turned out to be. Exceeding expectations.

Reactions: BernieParent

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
My view is that the 2022-23 season was an extended tryout for the players. We don't know who is going to be here in the fall; either coming or going. Some of the forwards still don't have their positions cemented as to whether they are going to continue as a center or wing, such as Cates, and if they are going to be on the wing, which side? The same goes on the blue line. Playing guys on their off hand is not the best use of their talent but it may continue. What's going on in goal is still up for grabs. Hart/Sandstrom again? Doubtful. Hart/Ersson? Could be. Maybe even Ersson/Sandstrom. Lots TBD.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
My view is that the 2022-23 season was an extended tryout for the players. We don't know who is going to be here in the fall; either coming or going. Some of the forwards still don't have their positions cemented as to whether they are going to continue as a center or wing, such as Cates, and if they are going to be on the wing, which side? The same goes on the blue line. Playing guys on their off hand is not the best use of their talent but it may continue. What's going on in goal is still up for grabs. Hart/Sandstrom again? Doubtful. Hart/Ersson? Could be. Maybe even Ersson/Sandstrom. Lots TBD.
My take is they do not trade anyone of substance. They return the losing core. Then Jones and Briere get in front of the podium come September tell everyone this is Torts 2nd year. The player snow all know what to expect and a bunch of other garbage. They want to see what progress was made.

As far as goal not up for grabs form where I sit. Hart/Sammy. It is clear Torts does not like or trust Felix.

Cates is a center and will always be under torts imo. The fact they have not hired a PP guy to help is comical to me.

Reactions: BernieParent

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
My take is they do not trade anyone of substance. They return the losing core. Then Jones and Briere get in front of the podium come September tell everyone this is Torts 2nd year. The player snow all know what to expect and a bunch of other garbage. They want to see what progress was made.

As far as goal not up for grabs form where I sit. Hart/Sammy. It is clear Torts does not like or trust Felix.

Cates is a center and will always be under torts imo. The fact they have not hired a PP guy to help is comical to me.
Hayes and Provorov are for sure goners. It wouldn't surprise me if TDA were out of here either by trade or cut outright; not need to carry him on the books on a buyout. Just eat his deal and move on. TDA is what he is and Tortorella is the same. The two don't mix. Who needs the stink of that squabble in the locker room?
Laughton should be gone if a decent offer is made for him. 2 and a 3? Just a feeling that Hart is out of here if he can convince the acquiring team that he is legally clean. I agree that Torts doesn't see Sandstorm as more than a +/-12 game back up but I also don't think that he cares for Hart for some reasons(s). All in all these moves would be the major shakeup which this roster needs.
As for Cates, he's best on the wing and has shown that in his past. This year he did center ice out of necessity. After this season, center ice will be Couturier, Frost, Gauthier/Desnoyers. Moving out Cates to wing is best for his long term production. His poor face-off rate shows that center is not his position.
It wouldn't surprise me if the #7 choice was Benson or Dvorsky, that they made the club out of camp. Benson's speed and tenacity could be useful on this club. Dvorsky has already played in an adult league and shown good defensive responsibility.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hayes and Provorov are for sure goners. It wouldn't surprise me if TDA were out of here either by trade or cut outright; not need to carry him on the books on a buyout. Just eat his deal and move on. TDA is what he is and Tortorella is the same. The two don't mix. Who needs the stink of that squabble in the locker room?
Laughton should be gone if a decent offer is made for him. 2 and a 3? Just a feeling that Hart is out of here if he can convince the acquiring team that he is legally clean. I agree that Torts doesn't see Sandstorm as more than a +/-12 game back up but I also don't think that he cares for Hart for some reasons(s). All in all these moves would be the major shakeup which this roster needs.
As for Cates, he's best on the wing and has shown that in his past. This year he did center ice out of necessity. After this season, center ice will be Couturier, Frost, Gauthier/Desnoyers. Moving out Cates to wing is best for his long term production. His poor face-off rate shows that center is not his position.
It wouldn't surprise me if the #7 choice was Benson or Dvorsky, that they made the club out of camp. Benson's speed and tenacity could be useful on this club. Dvorsky has already played in an adult league and shown good defensive responsibility.

You think an 18 year old is going to make John Tortorella's hockey team? :laugh:

He's probably the only coach in the NHL that would actually give starting Bedard in the NHL a second thought.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You think an 18 year old is going to make John Tortorella's hockey team? :laugh:

He's probably the only coach in the NHL that would actually give starting Bedard in the NHL a second thought.

The youngest age he's ever coached in the NHL is 19. Most of that came every now and then, until Columbus, when he pretty much always had a 19 year old. He was at odds with Jarmo. He famously hates youth. Not hard to make a valid guess that having to play too much youth every year was grinding his gears.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Werenski started for him at 19. So did Dubois.
It's rare for any player to start in his draft year, usually just a couple at the top of the draft.

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
The youngest age he's ever coached in the NHL is 19. Most of that came every now and then, until Columbus, when he pretty much always had a 19 year old. He was at odds with Jarmo. He famously hates youth. Not hard to make a valid guess that having to play too much youth every year was grinding his gears.
He spent a very long time, with a very long-winded answer, saying the exact opposite during his cleanout day interview. So, either he gave a long-winded lie, or this is another false narrative. I'm going with the latter.

I think it's relatively rare for an 18 year-old to make ANY NHL roster.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He spent a very long time, with a very long-winded answer, saying the exact opposite during his cleanout day interview. So, either he gave a long-winded lie, or this is another false narrative. I'm going with the latter.

I think it's relatively rare for an 18 year-old to make ANY NHL roster.

Imagine believing anything John Tortorella, who lies every time he opens his mouth to the media, has to say.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
We disagree. Ivan is not a clear goner at all. Only if he asks and he hasnt as of yet. Trading Hayes and Tony D are not players of substance.

I will believe it when I see it in terms of TK Laughton Ivan Hart are moved. Danyn can talk all he wants, he likes all 4 and really would rather keep them. Hopefully that will or has changed. That isnt even taking into consideration the coaches say!!!

Cates had a small sample size on the wing so it is speculative to say he is best there; not saying he isnt by the way. He was thrust into learning at a new spot at the NHL level. Exceeded expectations. Willing to give him another year to see what if any improvement is made.

Not sol d on Desynoyers making the team we shall see.

As far as this years pick on the team, don't see it though if given an opportunity not unrealistic. I rather they not make the team

It seems clear that Hayes and Provy are done in Philly.
how does it seem clear Ivan is gone?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It seems clear that Hayes and Provy are done in Philly.
I hope it isn't as cut and dried as this. We just got through a GM whose every move was telegraphed in neon letters, so he never gave himself a chance to win a transaction. If Briere is hobbled by orders to get rid of them, a Hayes deal risks losing assets and cap space and the return on Provorov may be seriously underwhelming to reasonable expectations that he could bring back at least one high-value piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad