Value of: Kappo Kakko... potential offer sheet target?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Carolina could easily repeat their non revenge Kotkaniemi OS with Kakko. I hope they do. The amount of denial in here would make the meltdown amazing to read.
A nice 6.1 million offer, a 30 dollar signing bonus representing the 3-0 sweep in the bubble and the Canes Twitter would go through its re-tweeting of the awesome Rangers’ fans’ takes before the bubble series.

Why dunk once we you can do it twice?

the revenge takes on the OS still are worth a hearty laugh.

There's that Southern Hospitality we all yearn for.

Reactions: Nikishin Go Boom

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If there is no bridge deal in place coming summer, which I highly doubt, I think Rags is gonna match all offer sheets at $6 166 096 or below. Possibly up to even $8 221 463 and then deal with the cap crisis after that. If teams really want to take a risk on a potential bust at those cap hits that's on them. And NO I'm not saying that Kakko is a bust or will be but the risk is always there.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The incentive to get a player to sign an offersheet, leaving a team that is just starting its ascension to contending has to be more than a 1 year deal at 6 million.

If you honestly believe a player would leave that situation above for one guaranteed year of good money, then we are never going to have a meaningful conversation.

Kotkeniemi just ditched a team that played in the finals for a 1-year OS. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the guys who play for your sports teams aren't all superfans who wouldn't dream of leaving for anything short of a billion dollars. They're gonna do what's in their best interest.

Reactions: Ragdoll and zeeto

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If there is no bridge deal in place coming summer, which I highly doubt, I think Rags is gonna match all offer sheets at $6 166 096 or below. Possibly up to even $8 221 463 and then deal with the cap crisis after that. If teams really want to take a risk on a potential bust at those cap hits that's on them. And NO I'm not saying that Kakko is a bust or will be but the risk is always there.

They have literally no way of clearing that money that doesn't involve trading someone like Fox or Shesterkin or getting someone like Kreider or Trouba to waive their NMC out of the goodness of their hearts.

Maybe they can make $6 million work, but that likely involves dumping multiple of Goodrow, Chytil, Reaves, Nemeth or Lindgren and having non-existent depth. I don't see a way they can make even more than that work.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
How has Nemeth been? He seems like an obvious candidate to move and his NTC is only 8 teams.

Would bring them to approx. $70.2m with 15 roster spots filled, giving them $11.3-$12.3 to play with. Would be tight, but I can see them figuring it out without too much stress, especially if they are able to bridge KK2.0. An offer sheet would have to be higher than KK1.0 in order to get them not to match imo.

Hes not signing that

He probably would... but why wouldn't NYR match?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Rangers wouldn't be able to match a 6.16M$ offersheet due the cap and Zib / Fox raises coming in. The only way they'd be able to match is if Trouba waives his NMC, which won't happen cause he wanted to play in NY only so... Yah

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
How has Nemeth been? He seems like an obvious candidate to move and his NTC is only 8 teams.

Would bring them to approx. $70.2m with 15 roster spots filled, giving them $11.3-$12.3 to play with. Would be tight, but I can see them figuring it out without too much stress, especially if they are able to bridge KK2.0. An offer sheet would have to be higher than KK1.0 in order to get them not to match imo.

He probably would... but why wouldn't NYR match?
6.1M$ OS means they'd need to fill 7 roster spots with 6M$ left to spend... Not happening. That's IF someone wants Nemeth which is highly debatable

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Nemeth hasn't been great. I wouldn't say awful, but definitely not worth keeping at that cap hit.

Word is Drury is looking for defensive help, so maybe we can find a way to add a rental and get rid of Nemeth at the same time, saving us some cap next year.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You will never convince me that 6+x6 not better than 6x1.

Can't predict the future, but you CAN protect it
Because he's not getting that. Kakko knows it' Rangers know it. Other GM's know it. It's not a choice of 6.1 over 1 or 6+ over 5. It's a choice of signing an offersheet for 6.1 over 1, or getting take a contract around 2.2 1st year/2.5-2.7ish second year, bridge contract.

I'm not saying Kakko signs the offersheet. I personally don't expect it to happen or even get that far. But whether NYR are further along in being contenders or not doesn't mean Kakko is going to automatically stay. Maybe he feels he'd have a better opportunity be a be a top player elsewhere. Maybe he doesn't. But it's not a choice over turning down 6.1, as if you can turn around and reasonably ask for 6+, long term. It's not happening.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
ive read many times about how southern hockey shouldnt be a thing. Just trying to blend into the crowd so we are more accepted, you know.

Fair enough.

I'm not in that crowd. :)

Matter of fact, my family is getting out of NY asap and I must admit, having a local pro team at any level is somewhere on my list of wants in looking for our landing spot.

And no, I'm not bringing my bs with us. We are fleeing the bs. Family has been here since 1680 and apparently we aren't wanted any more. Citiots are ruining the culture.

Reactions: cpa91930

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
6.1M$ OS means they'd need to fill 7 roster spots with 6M$ left to spend... Not happening. That's IF someone wants Nemeth which is highly debatable
Thats also if they carry a full roster.

It wouldn't be easy, but let's say KK gets 6.1 - brings them to 76.3 if Nemeth is dealt. Gives them 5 or 6 mil with 5 spots to fill. Re-sign Rooney at under 1m; re-sign Gauthier at under 1m; trade Blais for a cheap young F, D or G; give Kravtsov a real shot; give Cuylle, Othmann, Pajuniemi a look; give Gettinger and/or Barron a larger role; give Robertson, Schneider, Skinner and Reunanen real looks...

My point here being, the Rangers have LOTS of cheap young depth, and you can assume at least some of them will step up. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be possible.

Ultimately, the decision would come down to Kakko or Strome, and as good as Strome has been, and as good as the Rangers have been, I think you need to prioritize Kakko for the longterm good of the franchise.

Nemeth hasn't been great. I wouldn't say awful, but definitely not worth keeping at that cap hit.

Word is Drury is looking for defensive help, so maybe we can find a way to add a rental and get rid of Nemeth at the same time, saving us some cap next year.

MTL seems like a target on that front. Nemeth + a high pick for Chiarot or Nemeth + a low pick for Kulak.

Last edited:

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Fair enough.

I'm not in that crowd. :)

Matter of fact, my family is getting out of NY asap and I must admit, having a local pro team at any level is somewhere on my list of wants in looking for our landing spot.

And no, I'm not bringing my bs with us. We are fleeing the bs. Family has been here since 1680 and apparently we aren't wanted any more. Citiots are ruining the culture.

Where do you live? The term "citiots" is usually only spoken in a few finite areas of NY.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
While I agree that an offer sheet could be presented to Kappo Kakko by almost any team, I HIGHLY doubt it comes to fruition.

The JK offersheet was done for one reason and one reason only.......revenge against MTL for trying to f*** over Carolina and offer sheeting Sebastian Aho. It just happened to work out perfectly for Carolina to exert some revenge against MTL. I can pretty much guarantee you the rest of the GM's in the league took notice. This is why offer sheets don't happen all that often. Carolina pryed away JK and Montreal got some 1st round and 3rd round pick back, so...... meh.

At the end of the day, I'd put money on the fact that nobody bothers offer sheeting a young, middle 6 forward who hasn't yet lived up to his draft pedigree..

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Rangers wouldn't be able to match a 6.16M$ offersheet due the cap and Zib / Fox raises coming in. The only way they'd be able to match is if Trouba waives his NMC, which won't happen cause he wanted to play in NY only so... Yah

Without resigning anyone else they have that cap space. Easily as well. So thats wrong.

They have literally no way of clearing that money that doesn't involve trading someone like Fox or Shesterkin or getting someone like Kreider or Trouba to waive their NMC out of the goodness of their hearts.

Maybe they can make $6 million work, but that likely involves dumping multiple of Goodrow, Chytil, Reaves, Nemeth or Lindgren and having non-existent depth. I don't see a way they can make even more than that work.

The higher limit I agree I hadn't fully looked into the cap situation when writing. However they dont need to dump anyone if they only want to match Kakko at 6.1. However they would need add 2 minimum wage forwards and goalie to make it work. Im not saying its advisable or a good idea but it might be something they'll do.

Main point was that those numbers would stupid to offer by another team for a mainly unproven forward. And Rangers can easily match numbers below that.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Better chance of winning with the Rangers.

Don't see that changing anytime soon.
there is a young core which could win repeatedly if we are not stupid and trade youth for vets right now.
Winning is fun. Not everything but shoud not be overlooked, either.

1st par 1st part wrong, Shesty + Fox stay. Kreider stays.
Trouba is gone season after next unless he wants to be induced to do us a favor, all of which is theoretically possible.

Fox + Zib 12m-ish cap incr. covered by moving Strome, Geo + Nemeth + squeeze coupla nickels. $$$ for LaF, KK, Blais if no Trouba early will require Reaves does Gallant a favor and retires takes office job for 2 yrs at mo $.
Also Lindgren eventually goes but this forces it now, but we have multiple replacements.

We have sufficient depth

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
there is a young core which could win repeatedly if we are not stupid and trade youth for vets right now.
Winning is fun. Not everything but shoud not be overlooked, either.

1st par 1st part wrong, Shesty + Fox stay. Kreider stays.
Trouba is gone season after next unless he wants to be induced to do us a favor, all of which is theoretically possible.

Fox + Zib 12m-ish cap incr. covered by moving Strome, Geo + Nemeth + squeeze coupla nickels. $$$ for LaF, KK, Blais if no Trouba early will require Reaves does Gallant a favor and retires takes office job for 2 yrs at mo $.
Also Lindgren eventually goes but this forces it now, but we have multiple replacements.

We have sufficient depth
Why would trouba accept to waive his NMC? when he SPECIFICALLY wanted to play in NYR. He's not getting traded, ever.
He's overpaid, aging, AND doesn't want to get traded.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Without resigning anyone else they have that cap space. Easily as well. So thats wrong.

The higher limit I agree I hadn't fully looked into the cap situation when writing. However they dont need to dump anyone if they only want to match Kakko at 6.1. However they would need add 2 minimum wage forwards and goalie to make it work. Im not saying its advisable or a good idea but it might be something they'll do.

Main point was that those numbers would stupid to offer by another team for a mainly unproven forward. And Rangers can easily match numbers below that.

I wouldn't considering using 2 minimum salary players + goalie as "easy" to match KK at 6.1M. It's a difficult decision.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why would trouba accept to waive his NMC? when he SPECIFICALLY wanted to play in NYR. He's not getting traded, ever.
He's overpaid, aging, AND doesn't want to get traded.
the ? is fair, the rush to conclusion is not.

He + then g'f wanted immediate answer to set up long term solution.
She, his now wife, is along in her career.
Likely that she now or very soon has more options w/less contraints.
Can likely now do relocation to most first rate facilities.
So he can prob accept a deal as early as next yr

And for umpteenth time.
He is gone due to cap once nmc is modified.
If he works with us now, we owe him a favor and will try to accommodate any preference, even if we take a little less.
If he does not, then nanosecond his ass can go, we will dictate where whether he likes it or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad