Value of: Kappo Kakko... potential offer sheet target?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Both their clauses change. Trouba becomes a modified NTC in 2 years.... he also lives in FLA with his wife in the offseason.
Kreider clauses changes as well to accept more teams......
Many teams would love to add a 30 year old trouba for a playoff run with only 2 years on his deal.
Kreider as well likely ages well and remains one of the best net front presences in the league

Ya you’re right I didn’t see it changes to a M-NTC… still that’s 2-3 years away and this potential predicament for the Rangers would be this off-season. Can’t go over the cap and just tell the league you’ll be compliant in 3 years.

Reactions: cavs

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Ya you’re right I didn’t see it changes to a M-NTC… still that’s 2-3 years away and this potential predicament for the Rangers would be this off-season. Can’t go over the cap and just tell the league you’ll be compliant in 3 years.
Nope but you open yourself up to be a target sooner for NYR to come poach you’re player if you go after kakko.
Rangers also likely deal Geo. I expect chytil to be dealt, some of shatty/Lundqvist buyout cash comes off etc. they will be fine.
I’m hoping they don’t resign strome. But they might.
When teams need to move cap, they do it.
Kakko/LaF are that 2nd wave. Zibby/Panarin/Kreider/trouba are now +2-3 years wave of going for it.
Guys will be traded, players will come up from the farm on ELC s etc

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But the point of a OS is to extend a contract the team won’t match.
What outside team is offering kakko a ridiculous OS at this point in time?
The max they can go to and keep it a 2nd round pick is $4.1 mill. I’m just saying that going with more than a 1 year deal you want to leave yourself some wiggle room in the event he doesn’t deliver around what you hope.

you’d have to check the rangers cap situation and see what amount makes sense to get the player that you can still work with if the player doesn’t break out.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The max they can go to and keep it a 2nd round pick is $4.1 mill. I’m just saying that going with more than a 1 year deal you want to leave yourself some wiggle room in the event he doesn’t deliver around what you hope.

you’d have to check the rangers cap situation and see what amount makes sense to get the player that you can still work with if the player doesn’t break out.

yea that’s not gonna happen..... there’s really not a big incentive for a player to sign that over a 2-3 yr bridge that pays him 5-600k less per year.
It would have to be something like kotka+ If anything...
Anything short of that, the team would be doing NYR a favor like MtL did with Aho

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’m sure little brother Carolina would love to offersheet Kakko

no one cares about them if they’re not doing something cRaZy

This will be a non issue for the Rangers

Reactions: Canes

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
The 1st round compensation would be interesting. But you need a competitor with cap who wants/needs Kakko. A mediocre club probably doesn’t want to risk a lottery pick for Kakko.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why? Seems that there's an unwritten rule among GMs not to extend offer sheets and violation of that rule results in retaliatory offer sheets or threats of a barnfight.

The Canes going after Kotkeniemi is the only example I can recall of a team ever doing a "retaliatory" OS. They're more HF myth than reality.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think Kakko signs one.
He seems very happy playing for Turk,
and he knows NYR pay their players, that the complicating issue is the Cap
And he's seen that NYR are willing to take steps to comply, like buying out Hank, and trading Buch
IF some team offers $6M+ and KK signs it, NYR take the 1st and 3rd, or whatever the compensation is
But i don't see KK signing one

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Too much risk offering that much money to a guy who can’t seem to score any points. The potential is there but not sure why rangers struggle to develop their prospects.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Too much risk offering that much money to a guy who can’t seem to score any points. The potential is there but not sure why rangers struggle to develop their prospects.
Yea Fox, Shesterkin, Lindgren, and Miller have all be so terrible, they need to learn how to develop their prospects because the 19 and 20 year old aren't stars in the NHL yet..

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yea Fox, Shesterkin, Lindgren, and Miller have all be so terrible, they need how to develop their prospects.

I mean, they definitely didn’t develop Fox like at all. Kakko, Laf (not terrible but not great), Kravstov, Lias… there’s definitely a trend of high drafted prospects not progressing as planned. Obviously not all but enough that there’s some smoke there.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Would love for the Devils to give him the KK offersheet lol.
Would the Devils give up four firsts to sign Kakko

An offer sheet’s average annual value is also calculated slightly differently than a normal contract; if the contract is of a length greater than five years, the total salary is still divided by five to determine the AAV. That would mean a seven-year contract worth $8MM per season would actually carry an AAV of $11.2MM for purposes of offer sheet compensation.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I mean, they definitely didn’t develop Fox like at all. Kakko, Laf (not terrible but not great), Kravstov, Lias… there’s definitely a trend of high drafted prospects not progressing as planned. Obviously not all but enough that there’s some smoke there.
They sure did. They still had to train/coach him to make him an NHL player after he finished his NCAA career. There are plenty of great NCAA players who bust in the NHL.

And yes, every team has misses in the first round...and Kravstov is not a bust yet.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They sure did. They still had to train/coach him to make him an NHL player after he finished his NCAA career. There are plenty of great NCAA players who bust in the NHL.

And yes, every team has misses in the first round...and Kravstov is not a bust yet.

Harvard developed him. He was excellent before getting into the Rangers system. They didn’t do shit.

No one said Kravstov is a bust, just that he hasn’t developed and progressed as planned.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Harvard developed him. He was excellent before getting into the Rangers system. They didn’t do shit.

No one said Kravstov is a bust, just that he hasn’t developed and progressed as planned.
Ah gotcha. So when a players busts after a good juniors/ncaa career it's the NHL teams fault, but when a player plays great after a good junior/ncaa career the team gets no credit for it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not worried about the possibility of an offersheet.

Will get slightly concerned if one is signed.

What team is going to offer Kakko the incentive to sign an OS. Money is not always the driver.

Hes getting 1st line minutes with good offensive players.

The team hes on is just beginning their ascension to contender status and while the numbers are not there, yet, hes as big a part of it as any.

So, any team looking to OS him better offer more than 6 per and an opportunity to win for the next 5+ years.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would the Devils give up four firsts to sign Kakko

An offer sheet’s average annual value is also calculated slightly differently than a normal contract; if the contract is of a length greater than five years, the total salary is still divided by five to determine the AAV. That would mean a seven-year contract worth $8MM per season would actually carry an AAV of $11.2MM for purposes of offer sheet compensation.

1x$6.1M

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ah gotcha. So when a players busts after a good juniors/ncaa career it's the NHL teams fault, but when a player plays great after a good junior/ncaa career the team gets no credit for it.

Bro… come on you’re not actually serious… when Carolina traded Fox to NYR in 2019 he had already finished his hockey season at Harvard. He made the Rangers roster in the fall and was an excellent defenseman basically from the start of his NHL career. You’re telling me that David Quinn, who got shit canned for being a crappy coach taught him how to be a Norris level Dman? What reality do you live in? He would be what he is if he was on the Coyotes dude.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

No, I’m saying the Rangers did next to nothing when it comes to Fox’s development. He was fully cooked and ready to come out of the oven by the time he got to NY.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers are starting their window to compete and they have a lot of strong core pieces in place that should enable them to have some long term success. elite G, elite 1D, elite offensive W, 1C, Top 6 wingers, 2/3D.

These players, while very good, come at a price and there is big money tied up on them and pretty much alleither have NMC/NTC or are cornerstones of their team so wouldn't be trade candidates.

NMC
Panarin - 1LW - $11.6
Zib - 1C - $8.5
Trouba - 2RD - $8.0
Kreider - 2LW - $6.5

NTC
Goodrow - W - $3.6 (15 team list)

Not getting traded
Fox - 1RD - $9.5
Igor - 1G - $5.6
Dead Cap 22/23- $3.4

They also have Ryan Strome as their 2C who has performed well over the last few years, is close to ppg this year, but the catch is that he's a UFA at seasons end and is due for a big pay raise.

From an outsider's perspective, if there are areas of concern on the Rangers it's their depth at C (if they lose Strome) and maybe depth on D as well but they do have some good young pieces there.

Enter Kappo Kakko... where does he fit in? I see him in a very similar situation to where the Canadiens were with Kotkaniemi. Drafted very high with the hopes of developing into a 1C or 2C but he hasn't progressed as planned. He hasn't shown he can play as a C at the NHL level and on the wing with high end linemates he produces around a 15g + 15a pace.

With their big contracts the Rangers are, and will continue to be, up against the cap. They will have Laf as an RFA after next year and will need cap space for him. If the Rangers re-sign Strome (or sign someone similar) as their 2C there will be even less space for this KK.

This off-season could a team swoop in, like Carolina did on MTL, with a big 1 year overpayment and poach the 2019 2OA pick?

What would the Rangers try to extend him for? What would they be able/willing to match?
Strome will NOT be extended.
Hopefully he is moved now for max return
ditto Geo.
those 2 + Nemeth + scraping here and there on guys like McKegg, + we recover Hank's contract completely off the books another 1.5, gets us around 11-12 mil.
this fully covers Fox 9.5 and Zib 8.5.

We have a decent chance to deal Trouba next season and even if retain up to say 2m, that is better part of 6m coming back.

If not, then we can deal Lindgren and his 3 x 3 no prob [replacing him w/elc Robertson] and that helps cover bridge deal that adds to existing deals for LaF, Kakko and Blais.

Also, we can be creative and ask Kreider to extend for less $, say 4, 4+. That would help squeeze another mil or so + if that is calculated as a new deal.

so extremely tight and as I said, give up this idiocy of holding on to Strome, but it can be done.

I'm expecting he'll get a bridge deal. Hopefully before free agency hits, to rule out any possibility of an offer sheet.

There have been some rumblings that the Ranger may look to move someone to free up additional cap space. The prime candidates would be Kreider and Trouba, given their contracts, but both have played so well this year. Kreider would make more sense since Laf could move up to take his spot.

Both their clauses change. Trouba becomes a modified NTC in 2 years.... he also lives in FLA with his wife in the offseason.
Kreider clauses changes as well to accept more teams......
Many teams would love to add a 30 year old trouba for a playoff run with only 2 years on his deal.
Kreider as well likely ages well and remains one of the best net front presences in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad