Kadri player discssion thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Very well put. :handclap:

It's funny how some of the same people who are pumping Bozak over Kadri are saying they expect 60 or 70 points from Kadri this year. Why? Well because that's what they expect from a #1C. Bozak puts up 49 points with JVR and Kessel and now they expect 60-70 from Kadri with JVR and Boyes? :laugh:

Yup, a complete change of expectations now that Kadri is the #1 center. Bozak couldn't crack 50 with Kessel. Now without him, he is going to get exposed this season.

I am happy too.

Happy that Shanahan and Dubas saw fit to give him a try out contract to prove himself vs signing him long term with his off ice baggage.

Up to him now.

If it's ok with you, I will wait to see how he actually does before proclaiming him a success.

The more successful over this short term, the higher the trade value. Go Kadri.

I just don't understand how Kadri can be the #1C. I was told the other day repeatedly how Babcock trusted Bozak more because he got more ice time in the preseason game. Must be a reporting mistake. We need to get to the bottom of this. :golfnana:

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
First, given where each team is at currently, it'd be a bad trade from both sides. Tampa's a contender, Toronto is rebuilding. Why would Tampa trade the vastly superior player when they have a very real chance to win the Cup this year?

Second, it wouldn't be just Kadri we'd be sending, we're talking a first and multiple other futures. Stamkos isn't going to turn this teams fortunes around by himself, a trade for him now would be akin to the Kessel trade of 2009.

Third, Stamkos is a UFA come seasons end. The Leafs aren't winning anything this year, with or without him. Why spend the assets to get him when we could sign him for free come July? If Tampa is so willing to trade him then the chances of him making it to UFA are pretty good. Take your chances and wait while continuing to stockpile future assets this year.

If you desperately want to trade Kadri, don't do it on a (second in the last 10 years) franchise crippling move. Trade him for futures and call it a day.

There's a possibility that Stamkos won't be signing in Tampa(he would have already).And trading for him would give this team first dibs on his services in the future.If He's not going to sign in Tampa would it not be in their team's best interest if they took less than value for him instead of nothing at FA.He probably has a no trade contract and there may not be many teams with the cap space for him in a trade.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Very happy with Babcock's decision, it's finally one based on merit, not privilege.

Bozak did get a lot of minutes in preseason though, and my thinking is that this was to up his trade value. Unfortunately, Bozak's stinking up the joint currently.

Stuck with him for now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am happy too.

Happy that Shanahan and Dubas saw fit to give him a try out contract to prove himself vs signing him long term with his off ice baggage.

Up to him now.

If it's ok with you, I will wait to see how he actually does before proclaiming him a success.

The more successful over this short term, the higher the trade value. Go Kadri.

If it's ok with you, I'll give him credit for what he's accomplished so far. Come to think of it, I'll do it whether it's ok with you or not. :)

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
There's a possibility that Stamkos won't be signing in Tampa(he would have already).And trading for him would give this team first dibs on his services in the future.If He's not going to sign in Tampa would it not be in their team's best interest if they took less than value for him instead of nothing at FA.He probably has a no trade contract and there may not be many teams with the cap space for him in a trade.

Tampa won't trade Stamkos for just anything. We aren't bidding against ourselves here. Numerous teams would inquire about a possible Stamkos deal and drive the price up. There's no way Stamkos hoes for less than a 1st + good-great prospect + good young player. If the receiving team needs to throw in s cap dump or clear cap in another trade, they'll do it to make it work for a guy like Stamkos. The difference between this hypothetical team and the Leafs is that they can afford to make such a trade. The Leafs aren't in any position to make a move like that.

Like I get it you hate Kadri but come on. There's better alternatives than repeating past mistakes that have led us into the mess we're in now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'd like to see them find a way to get the Kadri that plays with edge to show up every night. Any time he shows up with that attitude he seems to be very successful. Hopefully Babcock can find his "engaged" button.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
Lol, i remember a certain poster going on how Bozak had more minutes in a preseason game so that must of meant Babcock trusted him more. Guess they were wrong on that. This should have been done a long time ago. Best center on the first line, its a miracle. Thank you Babcock. Finally :yo:

That certain poster almost convinced me too. It was a solid argument, backed up by zero points in preseason.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yes he has. He's the best centre on the team currently and has earned the chance to be on the top line. It's not so hard to understand.

You can keep saying it all day, but nothing he has done yet screams 1c, so he has 'earned' nothing. He is, however, our 1c (apparently) by default. Kinda sounds like another center we had who has been lambasted over and over again for being put in a position he didn't 'earn' doesn't it?

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
I don't want to see Bozak being turned into the whipping boy after this, Im estatic that my boy Kadri is finally getting his time to shine but if Bozak plays well it only means good things for our team and his inevitable trade value, right? Can't wait for the puck to drop!

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I don't want to see Bozak being turned into the whipping boy after this, Im estatic that my boy Kadri is finally getting his time to shine but if Bozak plays well it only means good things for our team and his inevitable trade value, right? Can't wait for the puck to drop!

Oh I HOPE Kadri does great. I hope Bozie does too. I just think its funny that people are clamoring all over like the kid has been this star being held down for years. Even when he screws up its somebody else's fault. He's basically what Bozak was four years ago, given the spot because we have nothing better.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
You can keep saying it all day, but nothing he has done yet screams 1c, so he has 'earned' nothing. He is, however, our 1c (apparently) by default. Kinda sounds like another center we had who has been lambasted over and over again for being put in a position he didn't 'earn' doesn't it?

The situations are similar, save for the fact that for the past two years there has been a better option than Bozak for the top line.

Bozaks first couple of years on the top line? Sure whatever. Kadri was still just a prospect and in the name of chemistry the KGM line wasn't going to be broken up.

His third year, the playoff season when Kadri broke out, he was lucky that Carlyle decided to give all the tough defensive assignments to Grabovski to insulate him and Kadri. Had the situations been reversed between Bozak and Grabovski I doubt Tyler would've fared much better.

And now the final two years with #1C Bozak. Kadri continues to progress as an all around player, while Bozak becomes complacent in his position, becoming a lazy defensive player to go along with his black hole offensive self. Collapse after collapse neither Carlyle or Horachek thought to break up JVR-Bozak-Kessel when they were at their worst, while Kadri made the most of what he had with an oft injured Lupul, Clarkson, and a merry go round of middle six tweeners. Look at every stat, advanced and traditional and Kadri comes out ahead in every single one save face offs (which, conveniently I might add, Bozak supporters have latched on to as the end all be all of what makes a successful centre).

The fact of the matter is, the Leafs didn't see any success with Bozak as a #1C, and it's long overdue that they change things up and start giving prime minutes to someone else, someone they've drafted and developed, not someone who doesn't fit into the long term plans of the team and hasn't shown any commute meant to bettering himself.

Kadri may not fit into the long term plans either, but it's about bloody time he's been given his shot at the #1C role.

TL;DR: The main difference in the situations is that someone was ready usurp Bozak but was never given the opportunity to do so. In the case of Kadri now, there is no one currently who can take the #1C job from him.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Oh and while we're at it, Kadri has shown far more as a player at the time of getting the #1C spot than Bozak did when he was given the role a few years ago.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Oh I HOPE Kadri does great. I hope Bozie does too. I just think its funny that people are clamoring all over like the kid has been this star being held down for years. Even when he screws up its somebody else's fault. He's basically what Bozak was four years ago, given the spot because we have nothing better.

The only difference is that there was a better player than Bozak can you say the same right now with Kadri?

What do you think will happen when Nylander comes up and is playing better than Kadri you think people on here will accept Kadri being heavily used over a better player a good thing?

I'll tell you right now the majority of the Kadri supporters on this topic will be saying the same things only in favor of Nylander. Kadri has been held back you have to be blind as heck if you don't recognize it.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
What I find to be pretty amusing is the same posters who used to say the only thing holding Kadri back in the past from putting up elite statistical numbers was a lack of opportunity are the same ones who are now already starting to rev up the "excuses" train as to why Kadri isn't going to produce what is supposedly expected now that he is being given the opportunity they said was missing in the past..

Or maybe it's just another year in the books and everyone sort of realizes what Kadri is and what he's going to be. Guess we'll soon find out.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What I find to be pretty amusing is the same posters who used to say the only thing holding Kadri back in the past from putting up elite statistical numbers was a lack of opportunity are the same ones who are now already starting to rev up the "excuses" train as to why Kadri isn't going to produce what is supposedly expected now that he is being given the opportunity they said was missing in the past..

Or maybe it's just another year in the books and everyone sort of realizes what Kadri is and what he's going to be. Guess we'll soon find out.

Key difference is in the past when that was said Kessel was still a Leaf. A point per game 30 goal scoring winger. Now instead, riding shotgun with him is going to be Brad "PTO" Boyes.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Use your critical thinking skills. What's the major difference between being a #1C on last year's team vs. this year's team?

Oh whatever. He'll still post better points and possession numbers than Bozak ever has without that major difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad