Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Should Kaapo stay, I'm hoping for this type of redemption year stat line.
Bonus points if you know who these first 6 years belong to

View attachment 893211
Top 10 OA draft pick. They went on to play over 1500 games with almost 1000 career points (2nd most in their draft class).
I forgot this site has a spoiler field. Did you guess the player? It's Shane Doan

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Not arguing with you but I often have asked myself about KK's skills in the past. What excellent tools do you see? Just curious for other people's opinions.
I’d say his best skills are with the puck on his stick. He has great lower body strength, controls the puck, has excellent defensive awareness. To get to another level he has to translate those skills to getting the puck to the net. He can skate around the zone for minutes with control of the puck but can’t figure out how to get it to the net. He needs to drive his body to the net and create chances. That’s the next step for him

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I’d say his best skills are with the puck on his stick. He has great lower body strength, controls the puck, has excellent defensive awareness. To get to another level he has to translate those skills to getting the puck to the net. He can skate around the zone for minutes with control of the puck but can’t figure out how to get it to the net. He needs to drive his body to the net and create chances. That’s the next step for him

He needs Fil Chytil to not be all broken. He was the missing link to the Kak/Cuylle connection. Kak had a great young C he was growing with and then that was gone all season. And I don’t want to hear the ‘Fil started with Laf and Bread’. Great, because I think Troch would have had a potentially great year between Kak/Cuylle. We’ll never know.

If not Fil, you must add an offensive C to this team for them. You don’t break up Kak / Cuylle. Wennberg couldn’t set up an offensive play or finish to save his life and his big goal in the playoffs was by accident. These two are young and are currently building chemistry together. Kak/Cuylle together have too much upside for this team vs. the very little Kak would bring back in a trade right now and mess up that chemistry.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Marcel got an all star vote in 2006-2007. Also with 1 vote were his teammates Nylander and Shanny who both were 62-83 point scorers. In fact all the LW that had votes were 62 points or higher except Marcel with 18 points. I think the 1 writer who voted for Marcel thought he was voting for his brother. :D
Does Kakko happen to have a brother we mistaken him for?

• Haha
Reactions: NickyFotiu

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Marcel Hossa... some of y'all are going to the 7th circle for that one. Kakko is about to prove a lot of you wrong this season. He'll show he's a better player than Mika at this point in their careers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Marcel Hossa... some of y'all are going to the 7th circle for that one. Kakko is about to prove a lot of you wrong this season. He'll show he's a better player than Mika at this point in their careers.

Your lips to God's ears. As I've done when I've had to, I'll gladly eat crow on here since it would be a massive benefit to the team.

I'm not seeing it, though. I just don't see the compete level there to get over this hump. I'd actually be fine if he put up 35-40 points again but showed a much higher motor/compete level then I'd be utterly thrilled. He just can't keep having only one single gear. There's a reason CVT transmissions suck!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Paako Kakko

Pacu?

1720548786727.png

• Haha
Reactions: Profet

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The R Smith deal also provides some flexibility with Kakko if you want to move him in season or at the deadline. Similar to bringing in Wheeler last offseason - but I believe Smith will be more effective.

I think a lot hinges on health. If Smith, but more importantly Chytil is still there going into the playoffs it allows Drury to potentially move Kakko for a big top 6 upgrade. Although looking at the UFA list I'm not sure how many gamebreakers will be available.

However, if the result of Chytil staying healthy is providing Kakko with the skilled play driver he needs at center, then Kakko may blossom into a version of what we thought hed be and then there's no reason to move him.

Reactions: OthmannOut

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
KK is better than Marcel. What do you think KK will do better next season than he did this year or in the past? I'm hoping you are right.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
KK is better than Marcel. What do you think KK will do better next season than he did this year or in the past? I'm hoping you are right.
Before Laf got stapled onto Panarin, the numbers between them for the same aged seasons was fairly similar with Kakko having better defensive numbers but Laf having better offensive numbers.
The gap between them in counting stats wasn’t that different.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Before Laf got stapled onto Panarin, the numbers between them for the same aged seasons was fairly similar with Kakko having better defensive numbers but Laf having better offensive numbers.
The gap between them in counting stats wasn’t that different.
KK had a better 22-23 season than Laf but Laf improved greatly in 23-24 while KK took a step backwards. It wasn't about linemates imo. Sometimes people need to trust their own eyes more imo.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
This season, all eyes will be on Kakko. They need to give him PK time. He needs to be fed more minutes and be given a shutdown role. I want him out at the end of the game, not Vesey or Goodrow (rip).
No thank you.

Poster boy for not earning more time. Before you say it, yes, he has gotten oodles of opportunities.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
KK had a better 22-23 season than Laf but Laf improved greatly in 23-24 while KK took a step backwards. It wasn't about linemates imo. Sometimes people need to trust their own eyes more imo.

Sure… Can you please list who played C with him this year? And Zibanejad doesn’t count 5v5, he blew.

When you have a winger like that he needs a C that can SCORE and if he’s not getting PP time, that C needs to score 5v5.

He did not have that at all and played like 14 minutes per night.

I hope he proves everyone wrong this year.

One more thing, this same player that we missed all year wound up sinking us when it mattered most. If we had a competent 3C who could pot a few or pass, maybe we beat Florida.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Sure… Can you please list who played C with him this year? And Zibanejad doesn’t count 5v5, he blew.

When you have a winger like that he needs a C that can SCORE and if he’s not getting PP time, that C needs to score 5v5.

One more thing, this same player that we missed all year wound up sinking us when it mattered most. If we had a competent 3C who could pot a few or pass, maybe we beat Florida.
i don’t think Kakko is that good but it is beyond frustrating having to evaluate him with the shit linemates he had all year. He played mainly with Wennberg/Brodz/Cuylle who are 4th liners and Bonino who wouldn’t stand out in my men’s league games. Why is it so hard for this team to just come into the year with ~10 legit top 9 forward options?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
i don’t think Kakko is that good but it is beyond frustrating having to evaluate him with the shit linemates he had all year. He played mainly with Wennberg/Brodz/Cuylle who are 4th liners and Bonino who wouldn’t stand out in my men’s league games. Why is it so hard for this team to just come into the year with ~10 legit top 9 forward options?

We banked on Chytil, that killed whatever confidence kak had, as there was nowhere near an adequate replacement for that skill/production around the roster at C. It is doubly infuriating that he got injured on top of losing his guy.

No way he regresses or has a repeat from last season. He bet on himself and signed immediately, no BS. I like that, keep your head up and put in the work. If he can gain one small step in his skating and more confidence, he can be a big time player.

And we all should hope for this, a booming Kakko puts this team over almost certainly. It’s why I don’t give up on him and he’s still sooo young.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Some of that may be true but I think the coaches thought it was more than his center since KK was scratched in the playoffs again. KK also didn't produce in the playoffs 2 sradons ago when his center (Chytil) was on a major hot goal run. I think KK can be better than he has been but I think that is up to KK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad