Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Kreider and Zib are such rush oriented players and Kakko is much more of a cycle player. They, statistically, play well together but don't generate results. I am curious to see if a Cullye-Trocheck-Kakko line could be really dangerous and allow Kakko to play his game and be the driver on a line. Otherwise, you need to let Kreider-Zib-Kakko play together until they figure it out. Do you let them struggle now for potential long-term benefit without knowing if it will produce, or do you try and work with matching styles?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kreider and Zib are such rush oriented players and Kakko is much more of a cycle player. They, statistically, play well together but don't generate results. I am curious to see if a Cullye-Trocheck-Kakko line could be really dangerous and allow Kakko to play his game and be the driver on a line. Otherwise, you need to let Kreider-Zib-Kakko play together until they figure it out. Do you let them struggle now for potential long-term benefit without knowing if it will produce, or do you try and work with matching styles?
At this point, you don't break up Panarin-Tro-Laf when it has been so good over the last few games. Sucks for Chytil, but when he comes back he should slot between Kakko and Cuylle. Good thing is, Chytil and Kakko have played well together in the past.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
At this point, you don't break up Panarin-Tro-Laf when it has been so good over the last few games. Sucks for Chytil, but when he comes back he should slot between Kakko and Cuylle. Good thing is, Chytil and Kakko have played well together in the past.
Yep. Zero chance I break that line up, now. Sorry, Chytil.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I wouldn't disagree. The main point might be that Kakko and Zib can't be together. Chytil on that line might also be a great fit.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yep. Zero chance I break that line up, now. Sorry, Chytil.
I think that Kakko and cuylle have looked really good together, that I’m more concerned that Mika and Ck might end up relegated to a 3rd line ice time wise at 5v5

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does anyone think that Kakko’s issue could that his game does not translate well on the smaller ice surface? I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Can’t figure out why he has not taken that next step. Could he be playing hurt or he really lacks confidence. Maybe he does not take his workouts seriously. Who knows.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Do you put Chytil as the center for Kakko and Cuylle or do you try to wake up the Kreider-Mika line by putting Chytil as their RW?

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Why are we moving Chytil to RW when Nick Bonino is in the top 9.
Kreider - Zibanejad - Chytil
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Cuylle - Wheeler - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Bonino

Wheeler is 75% on Faceoffs this season, fwiw. And he was 52% last season with over 120 faceoffs taken.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Going to run out of hope for him. It's a different player than what he was drafted as, and I don't think he can find it again here. Quinn coached the creativity out of him, but it's as much on Kakko himself for not finding it again. There have been other coaches, he has been given chances. Just not happening.

Reactions: Kords

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
IMG_2626.jpeg

Kakko’s headshot pic on his new team next season.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
If KK gets moved it'll have to be for another cost effective RW.

This team is pretty ugly on the right side.

KK went home this summer and returned as the exact clone of Marcel Hossa.

Watching the game it's shocking watching the difference between the 1st overall and the 2nd overall from 2019.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
FWIW, Zibanejad/Kreider are near top of the team for CF%/HDCF%/FF%/SF%/GF%/xGF% at 5v5 for the team this season. In short, they are doing fine in controlling play and whatnot at 5v5, and not just being a product of special teams. Rel stats look good too.

They are not producing goals at 5v5, but they are very productive at 5v5.

Thanks.

Inb4 "if they aren't scoring goals off of special teams then they aren't productive" or whatever garbage opinion follows.
Dude. Donuou watch the games or just read the stats?

Reactions: LionsHeart

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I’ve been a big Kakko supporter on here, and thought he took a big step last year, but this year has been really disappointing. He’s looked lost.

In fairness though, he has played better with Cuylle, but the strengths we could point to just haven’t been showing up.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
He may actually look worse than he did his draft year. I’m trying to hold off until December before writing guys off, but he makes it real hard to be optimistic.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
I’ve been a big Kakko supporter on here, and thought he took a big step last year, but this year has been really disappointing. He’s looked lost.

In fairness though, he has played better with Cuylle, but the strengths we could point to just haven’t been showing up.
Agreed. He looks passive. It’s early but very discouraging. What do you guys think could help him get going?

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
In the age of Tovalas and microwaves, Kakko is a slow-cooker.

Let the offensive play develop slowly. Let it simmer a bit. No rush. Take your time.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Kakko still wants to go east-west too much when he’s one of the stronger guys on the ice at any given time. He’s excellent in the blue paint but has never shown a willingness to go there consistently. Until he starts taking that part of the game seriously he’ll never be more than an all-defense bottom 6 wing.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Kakko is in a contract year. It’s an interesting thing. If his numbers are low, what’s he going to command? 15 G 27 points or whatever? $4M per? He’ll be frustrated and may want out. The Rangers will also be frustrated and probably want to move on soon, no?

Wonder how this plays out. Was really hopeful for the kid this year, hope he finds his game soon

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Kakko is in a contract year. It’s an interesting thing. If his numbers are low, what’s he going to command? 15 G 27 points or whatever? $4M per? He’ll be frustrated and may want out. The Rangers will also be frustrated and probably want to move on soon, no?

Wonder how this plays out. Was really hopeful for the kid this year, hope he finds his game soon
The cap should go up this off-season so we'll so how much that impacts things. Hard to compare because of that, but Laf is coming off a 39 point season and Drury got him for 2 years at 2.325mil. Chytil had his breakout season, 45 points. Drury got him for 4 years at 4.43mil. Kakko also had his 40 point year last season. At this pace he'll finish with 11 points this year, but I doubt he finishes that poorly. I expect to see a big boost from KK when Chytil gets back. But if he does wind up ~30 points this year I'd be surprised if he gets 4mil per. He'd have to massively turn it around this year to sniff that number I'd think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad