Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He’s a 22 year old having a snake bit slow start scoring wise, but overall playing a more than decent game. He’ll be fine, let’s not panic. Hahahah.
Good gravy.

Snake bitten start lasting for 4 seasons, you mean.

Kakko has about 40 games to get his f***ing act together or he should be moved. I'm not seeing ANYTHING resembling a pro-level skillset from this kid.

Kakko can possess the puck like no one else on this team. He needs to score. That's it. Score some freaking goals bud!

Same story since the day we drafted him. At some point, maybe we have to consider that "scoring goals" is not in this kids toolbox.

His puck possession is great, he's fantastic at board play 1v1 with puck possession.

He sucks at literally everything else.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
All true, it's not like much has changed for that line with Wheeler instead of Kakko, which goes to show you are right and it's on Zibanejad and Kreider why that line has been so poor generating offense.
And to be sure, kakko hasn't blown any doors off. I just think Lafreniere is the latest version evidence that these two don't have the mileage and experience not to fall off when their confidence drops (and likewise surge when it's up). I also wish kakko was just there in his career and was more of an individual scoring threat, but I gotta put the onus on the big boys. We've seen kakko have stretches just like laf is having now. Fair or not, 1 or 2 OA or not, it is what it is, he needs help and wasn't getting any.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I realize this is splitting hairs but I believe he should have, at minimum, 3 more assists from goals called back by the league this season. That would put him at 5 points in 14 games which isn't great, but it's not AS bad. I still think he rebounds to have a good season and the good news is that when the time comes this off-season for a new contract, he won't be looking at much in terms of more cap space

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
All true, it's not like much has changed for that line with Wheeler instead of Kakko, which goes to show you are right and it's on Zibanejad and Kreider why that line has been so poor generating offense.
Wheeler has a little more rush IQ than Kakko, so that's something.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Kakko has about 40 games to get his f***ing act together or he should be moved. I'm not seeing ANYTHING resembling a pro-level skillset from this kid.

Same story since the day we drafted him. At some point, maybe we have to consider that "scoring goals" is not in this kids toolbox.

His puck possession is great, he's fantastic at board play 1v1 with puck possession.

I think making any moves with him 40 games in would be a huge huge mistake.

I truly believe Kakko has a high upside and will be our best winger someday. I also think he's going to put together a good season for himself and he needs to get another look at the top line.

I don't like Wheeler up there as much. I just think Zib has started really cold, and it ruined KK's top six audition. And with Chytil out, it doesn't give them much room for experimenting with the top 6, so Kakko is the one that has to move if they hope to spur any change.

That top line (prior to KK's demotion) was very sound defensively. They just need a bit more time to cook in my opinion.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Not sure where I see him fitting moving forward. Othmann should be ready by the beginning of next year. How long are you supposed to hold the door open for Kakko?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure where I see him fitting moving forward. Othmann should be ready by the beginning of next year. How long are you supposed to hold the door open for Kakko?

I don't see it as holding the door open for him. He's a top-9 RW who is very good along the boards and a driver of possession. That's who he is right now.

Now on top of that I happen to think there is untapped offensive potential there as well but that's another matter.

Even with Othmann coming up, the RW depth is Lafreniere, Othmann, Kakko. Who else is taking that RW spot from him coming from the minors? Berard is probably someone you can throw on a 4th line to start the season and let him grow as needed and move up with injuries. Perrault is a couple of years away. Edstrom and Rempe project as 4th liners likely.

Unless Drury can find a better option at RW I don't see the need to move on from a player who drives possession for the team and helps them win, especially when he isn't making a lot against the cap.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Exactly.

Mika was Zibanebad last night. Plexy Rexy ain't got a thing on Mika after last night. All-day with the one timer and every shot either went into the goalie's chest or got glass.

Kakko was meh. Should've had the assist, still too unwilling to shoot, still holding onto the puck too long and getting pinned on the boards, still not mean or aggressive enough to succeed playing the physical grinding style he's trying to. That line was decent on the forecheck, hemmed in Columbus, but didn't contribute a ton of grade a's though they really didn't give up much and were sound defensively.

If Kreider and Mika need a winger with speed, give them Vesey and make that the third line when Chytil comes back. Let Kakko, Chytil, Cuylle be top 6 with 10-16-13, or put the French bread line back together and have Trocheck center Kakko and Cuylle.
Agreed.

Last edited:

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
I know this comparison was made a couple years ago and most hate it based on his draft position but
If kk is nothing more than a 40 pt Jan Erixon I'll take it. You need players like this too
Now if some other team over values him based on his draft position and sends a ridiculous trade offer, then u take it.
I dont see that happening
Cuylle KK can be a great 3rd line combo for years to come
I'm more worried about Chytil with the concussions

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Weird. Last year everyone was talking about how he took a step...
If your sum total criteria for a player is scoring stats he’s having a bad start. If you look at overall 200 foot game it’s pretty damn good.
I have to say that your statement saying that you aren’t “seeing ANYTHING resembling a pro-level skill set” says it all. 40 points in his D+4 is not pro level? Excellent possession numbers. Fantastic defensive metrics. According to you there are a LOT of NHL pros who have nothing resembling pro level skills. Hahahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
if Laf becomes a 40 goal scorer then i'm fine with Kakko just being a good forechecking, reliable defensive 3rd liner. if they were both superstars we'd only be able to pay one of them anyway.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
if Laf becomes a 40 goal scorer then i'm fine with Kakko just being a good forechecking, reliable defensive 3rd liner. if they were both superstars we'd only be able to pay one of them anyway.

Nah, I still want 30-30 Selke caliber player out of Kakko.

Reactions: bhamill

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Really want to see what happens if/when Chytil comes back and centers him again.

Just from watching though the most frustrating thing is it seems like he's more allergic to the center of the ice than he is of gluten. It's like he's afraid he's going to find a ten-pound bag of sugar there. Is it just me? Every time he possesses the puck, it seems his first instinct is away from the center of the ice/ towards goal front?

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I realize this is splitting hairs but I believe he should have, at minimum, 3 more assists from goals called back by the league this season. That would put him at 5 points in 14 games which isn't great, but it's not AS bad. I still think he rebounds to have a good season and the good news is that when the time comes this off-season for a new contract, he won't be looking at much in terms of more cap space
It’s pretty amazing how many points have been “taken” away from Kakko the past couple of seasons, including this year.

Not to mention all of the 3rd assists he was racking up last season. He’s like eternally snake bitten.

Anyway you wanna cut it, none of that counts. I sympathize and he’s been better but he needs to produce more. Plain and simple

Reactions: NYR Viper

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
Laf breaking out (so far) and Kakko being invisible to start is not something I was expecting at all. We've seen the flashes of skill plenty of times with him and at least for me, rarely saw it with Laf. So if Laf can turn it around then surely Kakko can still be a stud.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Time for a "what we can get for Kappo" thread.

Good. The last time we came close to doing shit like that Laf started waking up.

Though, I am in the camp of, if Othmann comes in and looks like Cuylle or better.. Dude may be in trouble if he continues not finding the net in any capacity.

I am also in the camp of, please Chytil come back healthy and recreate kid line magic days with an engaged, flyin' Cuylle on the other side of Kak.

I think he'll get it going, he certainly has the worst luck out of any young & highly touted player I've personally ever seen play hockey.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Weird. Last year everyone was talking about how he took a step...
If your sum total criteria for a player is scoring stats he’s having a bad start. If you look at overall 200 foot game it’s pretty damn good.
I have to say that your statement saying that you aren’t “seeing ANYTHING resembling a pro-level skill set” says it all. 40 points in his D+4 is t pro level? Excellent possession numbers. Fantastic defensive metrics. According to you theres a LOT of NHL pros who have nothing resembling pro level skills. Hahahaha.
That’s the kinda comment where I just can’t understand how people just casually gloss over it lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhamill

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Whatever Muse, Peca or Lavi said to Lafreniere, they need to go say to Kakko now.
Laf was always more skilled, they just basically told him the opposite of what Gallant and Quinn told him, that he was going to be put on that line and to play the way that got him picked 1st overall and that he wasn't gonna be punished for every little nitpicky play. Kakko, needs to find a way to score, and personally i dont think that was gonna happen with K&Z because they aren't great 5 on 5 to begin with. Im of the opinion that this wasnt a demotion, its trying to get 2 lines going, the 1st and the 3rd, as well as give Wheeler and Kakko different looks.
Cuylle Chytil Kakko is imo his best option

We still need the guy, even if it's a third line role.

My guess would be offseason if ever
I dont think we're moving him, i think management is high on our young players including our d.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Really want to see what happens if/when Chytil comes back and centers him again.

Just from watching though the most frustrating thing is it seems like he's more allergic to the center of the ice than he is of gluten. It's like he's afraid he's going to find a ten-pound bag of sugar there. Is it just me? Every time he possesses the puck, it seems his first instinct is away from the center of the ice/ towards goal front?

The issue with the above is he's trying to find space so he can make a dish.

This kid is still looking for his offensive identity. Playing like Panarin-of-the-previous-two-seasons-wannabe-lite is toxic for him. He also knows to look for the puck behind the net, which to be fair, is something the team tries to focus on but that often takes him out of scoring positions in front of goal. What Laf has discovered this season and Kakko struggles with is finding the seams and soft spots in the o-zone. Kakko is either out of play (as in the puck is not going to reach him because he's not open) or too entangled with the D. Again, this is partly because the players are told to go in front of the goal to create havoc, but I'm not sure that's his strength. He's better a bit further out in the slot which is one reason he fits better with Cuylle.

O-zone positioning and timing - a good coach should help him out with this. Offensive confidence/identity is the one thing he lacks right now. His defensive game is very strong and getting better.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Laf was always more skilled, they just basically told him the opposite of what Gallant and Quinn told him, that he was going to be put on that line and to play the way that got him picked 1st overall and that he wasn't gonna be punished for every little nitpicky play. Kakko, needs to find a way to score, and personally i dont think that was gonna happen with K&Z because they aren't great 5 on 5 to begin with. Im of the opinion that this wasnt a demotion, its trying to get 2 lines going, the 1st and the 3rd, as well as give Wheeler and Kakko different looks.
Cuylle Chytil Kakko is imo his best option

I dont think we're moving him, i think management is high on our young players including our d.
Mika said it the other day, that kakko shouldn't have been blamed for them not scoring. That it was the entire line struggling, and the worst part is, that Kakko didnt play his way off the line, but mika and ck did play poorly enough to lose some ice time.

Chytil coming back will give the rangers a much deeper team, and might let lavi rearrange lines 1+3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad