Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don’t think he had a single shift in OT. He sucked this game. Just glad we won.
he did not and he didn't deserve one. I give credit for Laviolette at least sticking with him in the third period. I know not that many options but right now seems like Vesey would have better chance at scoring.

Reactions: Daves a mess

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
He lacks speed, drive and instincts. We need to send him down. He really needs chytil.
Maybe the worst take I’ve ever seen but not worth debating.

Kakko was excellent in this game. His line generated the most offense of all 3 tonight and outshot CBJ 10-0. That’s insanely impressive given that every other line kind of got lit up and he’s dragging around Nick Bonino who might be the most useless player I have ever seen. Kakko is a two way beast

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Kakko was excellent in this game. His line generated the most offense of all 3 tonight and outshot CBJ 10-0. That’s insanely impressive given that every other line kind of got lit up and he’s dragging around Nick Bonino who might be the most useless player I have ever seen. Kakko is a two way beast
Bonino is a really heady player and strong down low in both ends, he’s actually been fairly effective with Cuylle and Kakko they just haven’t scored. But they’ve been on the right side of the shot battle I think every game.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Bonino is a really heady player and strong down low in both ends, he’s actually been fairly effective with Cuylle and Kakko they just haven’t scored. But they’ve been on the right side of the shot battle I think every game.
He’s just soooooooooo slow. The fact that Kakko+Cuylle can actually generate offense with him is incredible

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know. Wheeler has a PP goal and Kreider and Zib too. This means the first line is an ES offensive powerhouse.

WTF are you arguing even? I never said they're the same thing. I said they count the same. When the Rangers' Powerplay sucked all I saw was Rangers fans complain about it now it's arguably the best in the league and they still complain.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019

Worst take? I have actually been a defender of Kakko. This kid won't amount to anything more than a 40 point player. He lacks explosiveness, slow to react, no instincts. His skating is seriously bad. He gets tired insanely quick. He makes nice passes and handles the puck great. Other than those he sucks. Wake up and take your kakko loving goggles off. What exactly about this take is wrong? Elaborate

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTakedown

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Kakko had an assist and then the NHL did NHL things.

10 shots to 0 with Bonino on the line. That's......really good.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
We're all obviously still hoping that he finds a spot where he clicks and then gets an opportunity to stick there (Cuylle-Tro/Chytil-Kakko could be the one), but in the interim, he is low key phenomenal at transition defense. The amount of opportunities that he breaks up before they even get to the red line has to be leading the team.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Kakko had an assist and then the NHL did NHL things.

10 shots to 0 with Bonino on the line. That's......really good.
We all want Kakko to do well but even a hardcore Kakko fan like yourself must admit he still hasn’t progressed yet. He has a great ability to maintain possession but unfortunately he doesn’t do anything after that. Can’t keep blaming linemates all the time lol

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
We all want Kakko to do well but even a hardcore Kakko fan like yourself must admit he still hasn’t progressed yet. He has a great ability to maintain possession but unfortunately he doesn’t do anything after that. Can’t keep blaming linemates all the time lol
His line was great yesterday. It would be even better with Fil. If when Kakko is on the ice, the other team gets 0 shots, I think I will be more than happy for him to be cheap for his next contract. Eventually, the NHL won't take away assists and his teammates will score on nice passes. If your takeaway from yesterday is to complain about Kakko, i'm sorry for you. Enjoy the win.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
His line was great yesterday. It would be even better with Fil. If when Kakko is on the ice, the other team gets 0 shots, I think I will be more than happy for him to be cheap for his next contract. Eventually, the NHL won't take away assists and his teammates will score on nice passes. If your takeaway from yesterday is to complain about Kakko, i'm sorry for you. Enjoy the win.
Calm down kid lol. I’m not complaining. I simply said we haven’t seen him take that next step like Laffy is now doing or that Cuylle is showing

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
HF Boards 101: The person saying to calm down is actually the one not calm. I'm happy for the win. Not upset in the least.
You seem upset. Obviously you’ve been set off for no reason. I’m ecstatic with the way the Rangers are playing. Just enjoy it

He’s a 22 year old having a snake bit slow start scoring wise, but overall playing a more than decent game. He’ll be fine, let’s not panic. Hahahah.
Good gravy.
Agreed. I just want him to shoot more

Reactions: bhamill

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
His line was the best forechecking line and he should have had an assist on the cuylle goal
He wasnt great but there were many players worse including ziWORSTejad
Exactly.

Mika was Zibanebad last night. Plexy Rexy ain't got a thing on Mika after last night. All-day with the one timer and every shot either went into the goalie's chest or got glass.

Kakko was meh. Should've had the assist, still too unwilling to shoot, still holding onto the puck too long and getting pinned on the boards, still not mean or aggressive enough to succeed playing the physical grinding style he's trying to. That line was decent on the forecheck, hemmed in Columbus, but didn't contribute a ton of grade a's though they really didn't give up much and were sound defensively. A fair amount of their lack of scoring can be attributable to Bonino, who's way out of his element outside of the 4th line at this point. The guy is a stiff, slow skater who's not strong on his edges...he just makes up for that with strong defensive awareness/positioning, faceoff skills, and a willingness to block shots. Kind of hard to produce offensively with an anchor like that, and that when you do get an assist, the goal gets wiped.

If Kreider and Mika need a winger with speed, give them Vesey and make that the third line when Chytil comes back. Let Kakko, Chytil, Cuylle be top 6 with 10-16-13, or put the French bread line back together and have Trocheck center Kakko and Cuylle.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDirtyH

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
You seem upset. Obviously you’ve been set off for no reason. I’m ecstatic with the way the Rangers are playing. Just enjoy it

Agreed. I just want him to shoot more
His recent games indicate that he seems to want to dish off for give-and-gos to try to get some space. It was in the Wild game that he played a lot of catch with Cuylle. And if that doesn't work, try to get to the doorstep for rebounds. He's looking for others to shoot. He doesn't shoot because he has trouble getting open.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Mika and Kreider just love throwing the puck into open spaces hoping each other will find the pass. Its actually quite concerning right now 5 on5 how much they arent generating.

Kakko is an in zone possession player who needs two linemates who cycle well and drive the net. A lot of Mika and Kreids offense/chances come via the rush - which Kakko does not excel at.

Mika circles up high waiting for a turnover, or an open lane to let the slapper go and is worried about covering up on D, so he cheats high and doesnt get deep enough into the zone often enough to support player like Kakko.

If Kreids isn't straight lining to a dump in or rush into the zone he usually becomes static, floats and just watches too often if he's not on his game 100%. He'll pot goals but he falls into those habits often 5on5. Theres a lot of in and outs with that line, whoever is on the right side.

So Kakko does have a better partner in Cuylle because they stay close to each other on the walls and can play catch a little. Cuylle steal pucks and takes the body like a maniac and that disruption is the type of stuff that leads to Kakko jumping on loose pucks and possession. The problem is they need another shooter who can also skate with a purpose on that line and its not Bonino.

If its Chytil, great - but ideally in that 3rd line role you would want Trocheck there because he can not only shoot but carry the puck and make some moves, forecheck, win faceoffs like an animal and go to the net. I think he would fit that lines assignments the best. 3rd line checking/shutdown/possession metrics who can provide some offense. Nice balance.

Last edited:

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Mika and Kreider just love throwing the puck into open spaces hoping each other will find the pass. Its actually quite concerning right now 5 on5 how much they arent generating.

Kakko is an in zone possession player who needs two linemates who cycle well and drive the net. A lot of Mika and Kreids offense/chances come via the rush - which Kakko does not excel at.

Mika circles up high waiting for a turnover, or an open lane to let the slapper go and is worried about covering up on D, so he cheats high and doesnt get deep enough into the zone often enough to support player like Kakko.

If Kreids isn't straight lining to a dump in or rush into the zone he usually becomes static, floats and just watches too often if he's not on his game 100%. He'll pot goals but he falls into those habits often 5on5. Theres a lot of in and outs with that line, whoever is on the right side.

So Kakko does have a better partner in Cuylle because they stay close to each other on the walls and can play catch a little. Cuylle steal pucks and takes the body like a maniac and that disruption is the type of stuff that leads to Kakko jumping on loose pucks and possession. The problem is they need another shooter who can also skate with a purpose on that line and its not Bonino.

If its Chytil, great - but ideally in that 3rd line role you would want Trocheck there because he can not only shoot but carry the puck and make some moves, forecheck, win faceoffs like an animal and go to the net. I think he would fit that lines assignments the best. 3rd line checking/shutdown/possession metrics
At the present moment, the best scoring opportunities for Kakko will come from forcing turnovers with his linemates on the opposing breakout while still in the zone. The second-chance, in-zone opportunities might provide him a little more space since the opposing team isn't in their D structure and is a little more scattershot, with some of the players perhaps flying the zone too early. Kakko and his linemates don't need to regain the zone. But yeah, they need a pivot who is fast enough to be high up if a turnover doesn't happen or turn back quickly into the zone if there's a play and help jump on the puck with numbers.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Kakkos play is crawling back into form with Cuylee on his line. He's been mostly mid this year, but I'm sorry, Zibanejad is an actual anchor at 5v5 this year so far. Proof is in the pudding for me. Kakko goes from Zibanejad to Bonino and gets a little better. That's how pathetic Zibanejad has been. Jmho

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
There's some chemistry developing with Kakko, Cuylle and Bonino. I want to see Chytil centering Kakko and Cuylle (hopefully on Saturday against the Devils). Those 3 will be a lot for a team's bottom pairs to deal with.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Kakkos play is crawling back into form with Cuylee on his line. He's been mostly mid this year, but I'm sorry, Zibanejad is an actual anchor at 5v5 this year so far. Proof is in the pudding for me. Kakko goes from Zibanejad to Bonino and gets a little better. That's how pathetic Zibanejad has been. Jmho
All true, it's not like much has changed for that line with Wheeler instead of Kakko, which goes to show you are right and it's on Zibanejad and Kreider why that line has been so poor generating offense.

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad