Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't know what to tell you. Kreider Mika and Kakko are not producing 5v5. That's the discussion. Kakko got the demotion because for some reason no one is willing to admit that Mika-Kreider as a pair is the problem and always has been. Great on the PP and with hugs. Not with 5v5. But as one of the biggest Kakko fans here, i'm fine with him moving to line 3. I think he can do good things with that group once Chytil is back and he can be centered by Tro.
This is the correct take.
The analytics look great for that line, but the puck wasnt going in the net at 5v5.
Mika and CK are producing on the PP.
Kakko got taken off because he's the newer to the group and he had some solid chemistry with cuylle in the pre-season.

Wheeler didnt do anything to earn the bump up. Kakko hasnt been bad. Theres been some great plays by him that they just didnt cash in on.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
FWIW, Zibanejad/Kreider are near top of the team for CF%/HDCF%/FF%/SF%/GF%/xGF% at 5v5 for the team this season. In short, they are doing fine in controlling play and whatnot at 5v5, and not just being a product of special teams. Rel stats look good too.

They are not producing goals at 5v5, but they are very productive at 5v5.

Thanks.

Inb4 "if they aren't scoring goals off of special teams then they aren't productive" or whatever garbage opinion follows.
I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Results are what matter, and that goes for 5v5 just like it does for PP time. I'm not sure how there is an argument about that. They are playing okay, or better than okay, at 5v5, EXCEPT they are not contributing on the scoreboard at 5v5, and that matters. A LOT, since 5v5 is the vast majority of most games.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Results are what matter, and that goes for 5v5 just like it does for PP time. I'm not sure how there is an argument about that. They are playing okay, or better than okay, at 5v5, EXCEPT they are not contributing on the scoreboard at 5v5, and that matters. A LOT, since 5v5 is the vast majority of most games.
Here’s the issue though. They’re still producing and we’re still winning. I ca t complain about 9 goals in 12 goals. Mika hasn’t found the scoring tough yet but still picking up assists. I honestly don’t give a damn where the points come from as long as they o produce and we win. It’s going to even out since both have a history of playing well 5 on 5. I just feel some are nitpicking. If they weren’t producing then I could get on board with the argument but that’s not the case

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Here’s the issue though. They’re still producing and we’re still winning. I ca t complain about 9 goals in 12 goals. Mika hasn’t found the scoring tough yet but still picking up assists. I honestly don’t give a damn where the points come from as long as they o produce and we win. It’s going to even out since both have a history of playing well 5 on 5. I just feel some are nitpicking. If they weren’t producing then I could get on board with the argument but that’s not the case
I'm not complaining. I'm very happy with the team's start. I'm just pointing out REALITY. I think they will both pick it up 5v5, and I think KK will too. But that's the entire point: NO ONE on that line was producing at 5v5, to put that all on the 22 year old is nuts. KK wasn't ON the PP with them, he wasn't REMOVED from that unit. We are talking about the 5v5 first line that he WAS removed from. They are easily separately quantified.
Like many others here, I REALLY want to see how a Cuylle-Tro-KK line looks out there.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I'm not complaining. I'm very happy with the team's start. I'm just pointing out REALITY. I think they will both pick it up 5v5, and I think KK will too. But that's the entire point: NO ONE on that line was producing at 5v5, to put that all on the 22 year old is nuts. KK wasn't ON the PP with them, he wasn't REMOVED from that unit. We are talking about the 5v5 first line that he WAS removed from. They are easily separately quantified.
Like many others here, I REALLY want to see how a Cuylle-Tro-KK line looks out there.
No need to make CAPS I know what we’re
no need for the CAPS, I know what we’re discussing. I respect your opinion but stand by mine. Anyway LGR!

Reactions: bhamill

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
The writing has been on the wall that Kreider/Mika/Kakko can't produce together since last season. Kakko helps give any line he's on good advanced stats because he's great at puck possession but when Kreider and Mika are together neither of them fit Kakko's game at all. Mika is a huge time floater in the o-zone and when he's with Kreider they really only want to play on the rush. If the coach doesn't want to split the two up I'd just throw a defensively responsible winger less skilled than Kakko and make them the matchup line. If things go stale with Panarin at 5v5 I'd be all for Panarin/Mika/Laf and Kreider/Chytil/Kakko lines.

Reactions: RagFinMet

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
HF: “Kakko need to play on the first line.”

New coach puts Kakko on the first line.

HF: “Not that first line!”

Everyone relax, he’ll be fine and probably back with those two sometime this season. I think the team hasn’t been great 5v5 because it’s tough getting to a flow with what appears to be so many penalties called and they’ve been a bit unlucky. Also, Kakko needs to shoot the goddam puck more.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Everyone relax, he’ll be fine and probably back with those two sometime this season. I think the team hasn’t been great 5v5 because it’s tough getting to a flow with what appears to be so many penalties called and they’ve been a bit unlucky. Also, Kakko needs to shoot the goddam puck more.
I mean most people have said they understood the move. The back and forth is because more than 1 person has been "kakko is a bust", when he's been fine and a top 6 winger in his play this season, and they're blaming kakko for his lack of point production when its not just him.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
I mean most people have said they understood the move. The back and forth is because more than 1 person has been "kakko is a bust", when he's been fine and a top 6 winger in his play this season, and they're blaming kakko for his lack of point production when its not just him.
Exactly. No one is taking this as kid bashing like the GG days.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Agreed but what I blame him for is not taking the puck to the middle of the ice more and going to the net. And he's not shooting when he has the opportunity. Until he improves on this his numbers are going to stay the same, it doesn't matter what line he's on or who he's playing with.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Agreed but what I blame him for is not taking the puck to the middle of the ice more and going to the net. And he's not shooting when he has the opportunity. Until he improves on this his numbers are going to stay the same, it doesn't matter what line he's on or who he's playing with.
Very true. He has a great ability to extend play on the offensive zone but unfortunately not much happens. He needs to go to the net more or shoot it. That’s not on his line mates especially when one of them has maybe the best front of the net presence in the game

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

The fancy stats still really like that line. I’m the issue is Kreider and Zibanejad‘a 5x5 stats have cratered and Kakko doesn’t have the power play for salvation. Eventually you hope things go back to the mean, but there’s not a lot of evidence that it’s a Bad line

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
The fact is that they’re producing that’s a fact

Agreed. I don’t think Kakko has been bad but blaming other line mates for him not producing is silly unless the other line mates weren’t producing which we know isn’t the case

I’m not blaming other line mates for him not producing but the fact is that Kreider and Zibanejad are also doing nothing at 5v5.

So it’s not as if there are even garbage points for Kakko to accumulate because no one on that line was doing anything at 5v5.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I refuse to give up on the kid, just like I refused to believe laf was a terrible player
I mean, we know that he’s better than this.

While whatever Lavi has been selling was a revelation for Lafreniere, Kakko has struggled with it, maybe it’s the system, maybe it’s playing with line mates who don’t fit stylistically. He needs coaching to get out of his funk.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I mean, we know that he’s better than this.

While whatever Lavi has been selling was a revelation for Lafreniere, Kakko has struggled with it, maybe it’s the system, maybe it’s playing with line mates who don’t fit stylistically. He needs coaching to get out of his funk.
I think you get bonino off that line then both cuylle and kakko will start scoring in bunches.

Kakko and cuylle both looked good tonight, they just didnt score. Bonino is an offensive black hole.
Once Chytil comes back i think they slide trocheck down and you end up with 3 potentially very strong lines.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
More assertive last night. Got a 4th assist on Wheelers goal (lol) and if Bonino put that one home he wouldve had a primary

With how hot Trocheck is with Panarin and Laf, you might see Chytil with Kakko and Cuylle, and we know Kakko has had chemistry with Chytil. I think that may work out well if the coach leaves Vinny with Panarin and Laf.
I def think thats what will happen, whenever Chytil returns.

I did not know they put him on IR. Also he hasnt skated on his own since the injury. Thats not good a sign. If its a concussion from that collision with Fast, his 4th, its likely going to be a while.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I consistently see the same thing with Kakko. He plays much more assertive away from Zibanejad and Panarin. I really like him with Cuylle, I think their games mesh well and that's something that can grow long term. Throw Chytil in between them and it's a legit line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad