Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The problem is he doesn’t put himself in position, he’s constantly bringing the puck to the outside.

I’m a huge fan of his and still think he can be a good player, but at some point it’s on him and even he admitted as much. A change of scenery might not be a bad idea for him.

Because that's all he can do, he's a grinder. To get to the prime real estate and middle of the ice in the NHL with the puck on your stick, you have to be pretty damn good at hockey, it's not for lack of will (unless you're Panarin in the playoffs I guess).

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
His value isn't up, it's at an all time low
original.png

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It’s implied? Why would the Rangers want to help him reach his potential with another organization?
It really doesn’t mean anything. The whole quote is basically saying “we might give up on him but if we don’t, here’s a justification ahead of time”

Drury hasn’t made up his mind exactly what this offseason will entail and part of it will almost certainly be made based on cap space and negotiations. I don’t even think he knows yet if Kakko will be back here

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

steves3511

Jun 21, 2019
If we are going to keep kakko we need to put him on a line to succeed. I think this year it was blatantly obvious that kreider and zib are not working 5 on 5

I would love to see zib between panarin and laf. This is our first line, this is our offense, tell zib to go out and make plays and score goals

I would love to see a defensive grindy matchup line of kreider-tro-kakko. All of them are good on the cycle, they are big and can maintain possession and I think they fit kakko’s play style better.

Let’s put both kakko and zib in roles where they can succeed and let’s make a solid shutdown line that are possession/puck hogs

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If we are going to keep kakko we need to put him on a line to succeed. I think this year it was blatantly obvious that kreider and zib are not working 5 on 5

I would love to see zib between panarin and laf. This is our first line, this is our offense, tell zib to go out and make plays and score goals

I would love to see a defensive grindy matchup line of kreider-tro-kakko. All of them are good on the cycle, they are big and can maintain possession and I think they fit kakko’s play style better.

Let’s put both kakko and zib in roles where they can succeed and let’s make a solid shutdown line that are possession/puck hogs
i like it.

kreider trocheck lafreniere
panarin zibanejad kakko
chytil stephenson berard
cuylle edstrom vesey

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It really doesn’t mean anything. The whole quote is basically saying “we might give up on him but if we don’t, here’s a justification ahead of time”

Drury hasn’t made up his mind exactly what this offseason will entail and part of it will almost certainly be made based on cap space and negotiations. I don’t even think he knows yet if Kakko will be back here

Yeah, it's just ambiguous GM speak. Not sure why anyone would take anything from that.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

Disagree on 10-93-13. That line would be no defense, but also no cycle. Laf and Tro along the walls is why that line works (and why Panarin-Trocheck-WhoeverWasn'tAsStrongOnTheWall didn't work last season). Trocheck is also very good at puck retrieval, whereas Mika is terrible at it. Team needs to leave 10-16-13 alone and play Laf more on the PP.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

One of the many major issues for the Rangers is that Zib and Panarin have negative chemistry, you cannot have them on the same line. In Kakko's case, who doesn't fit with either Zib (style mismatch) or Panarin (another puck hog), that pushes him down to the 3rd line which stiffles his growth. Kakko keeps saying that he likes it in with the Rangers and why shouldn't he, but unfortunately for him hockey wise he'd be better off elsewhere where he can play with a playmaking C that he has chemistry with and get PP1 time. His best bet here would be to play with Trocheck, but that's never going to happen because of Panarin.

If Chytil can make a comeback as a fully healthy C and play with Panarin that may change things, but it's not going to happen under the ponderous supervision of Lavisaurus.

steves3511

Jun 21, 2019
Disagree on 10-93-13. That line would be no defense, but also no cycle. Laf and Tro along the walls is why that line works (and why Panarin-Trocheck-WhoeverWasn'tAsStrongOnTheWall didn't work last season). Trocheck is also very good at puck retrieval, whereas Mika is terrible at it. Team needs to leave 10-16-13 alone and play Laf more on the PP.
They have already put those 3 together late in games when they are looking for a goal. Zib and panarin work best off the rush, that’s what our offense is based off of. If we have a defensive matchup line we don’t need zib to focus on defense.

They will certainly bleed some goals, but I think it is worth trying out to start at least. If zib can be the offensive player he was 2 years ago that will put the rangers in the top echelons of teams and remove him from the major defensive responsibilities
If Chytil can make a comeback as a fully healthy C and play with Panarin that may change things, but it's not going to happen under the ponderous supervision of Lavisaurus.
That was the plan from the beginning this past season. Chytil started centering panarin and laf and looked fantastic until his injury. With the success tro had there it may be tough to win his spot back, I don’t think it’s fair to call lav a dinosaur when he did exactly what you wanted when the team was healthy to start the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad