Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Nope. There is no way Laf and Pan should get broken up at this point. First player to mesh with Pan since Strome...
I like Cuylle-Tro (or even Chytil)-KK as a line. A LOT. At least in theory. Would have to see how it works.

Chytil and Laf have looked great with Panarin, but lets go back to a line that has rarely been effective so Kakko's production might potentially justify his draft position. We've lost the plot a little bit here guys.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I liked the Cuylle Kakko bookends as well. Cuylle has made an immediate impact on this team, he makes his presence felt almost every shift. Kakko looked a little more energized and looser on that line.

I wouldnt break up Laf and Panarin... no f***ing way

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Cuylle and Kakko had good chemistry in the pre-season and I think those games were Kakko's best. I think those guys play a similar style and they can read off eachother. Cuylle plays a pretty North-South game which opens up the East-West for Kakko.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
FWIW, Zibanejad/Kreider are near top of the team for CF%/HDCF%/FF%/SF%/GF%/xGF% at 5v5 for the team this season. In short, they are doing fine in controlling play and whatnot at 5v5, and not just being a product of special teams. Rel stats look good too.

They are not producing goals at 5v5, but they are very productive at 5v5.

Thanks.

Inb4 "if they aren't scoring goals off of special teams then they aren't productive" or whatever garbage opinion follows.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
What annoys me more is that for some reason the Rangers fully capitalised on Chytil's nickname, using it in social media posts to the point where fans call him "Filda", but Kakko's nickname "Kaapeli" is just foreign to them and all he gets is a lame "KK"

I really wish "It's Kakko Tuesday." was a thing.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What annoys me more is that for some reason the Rangers fully capitalised on Chytil's nickname, using it in social media posts to the point where fans call him "Filda", but Kakko's nickname "Kaapeli" is just foreign to them and all he gets is a lame "KK"
On the list of legitimate and non-legitimate grievances about the Rangers, this is very very VERY low and not worth caring about on anything other than a personal level.

Reactions: JCProdigy

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
On the list of legitimate and non-legitimate grievances about the Rangers, this is very very VERY low and not worth caring about on anything other than a personal level.

Personally, I find it pretty insulting to the rest of the team that Lafrenière is given the mark over the e on his jersey but every other players name is Americanized.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Stone97Ace

Oct 30, 2023
You know what's embarrassing? When I was telling a colleague of mine at work (Devils fan) pre-draft how he's a superstar talent and reminded me of a Jagr-light based on a bunch of YouTube scouts.

Defensively responsible 2nd-3rd line winger. That's it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

At least he's not content with how he's played.

Even he knows hes not doing the usual things he's done in the past to get chances.

“Hopefully, these lines will get something going in the O-zone. Start feeling better and get some shots and chances to score a goal. I haven’t been getting those, not happy about that. That’s the first thing when you want to feel better, you need to get chances. So that’s the plan.”

Last year he would get lots of chances but couldnt cash in. He would control the puck leading to possession time and 3rd assists. The way it looked in camp suggested he might turn the corner in this regard, but since then his game has reverted. We cant forget all of this.

He just needs to get back to that style again when he was effective, getting chances and setting them up. I believe it will come around. But he's gotta will it back into existence. Hopefully some good things start happening for him and it will break this funk he's in.

We also saw him go back at some players in preseason when challenged physically - it was a good thing to see. The effort is there and hes been physical using the body, but not in that aggressive retaliatory manner. Hes just been ho-hum. Lack of confidence and you can see it. He needs to power through and start playing pissed off like hes got something to prove again. Stop being mad at himself and get mad at the opposition. Play with some fire and show us all and to yourself that you want to beat them. Its there he just needs to find it again.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
On pace for 6 goals and 13 points, playing mostly on the 1st line too. It's indefensible anymore, I don't care what the advanced stats say. The regular stats are worse than f***ing Jimmy Vesey and Braden Schneider.
So Kreider and Mika also are indefensible too right?
Because both have exactly the same or worse production at even strength.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
So Kreider and Mika also are indefensible too right?
Because both have exactly the same or worse production at even strength.
Kreider and Mika have a history of producing at even strength..Kakko?Not so much.Odd hill to die on.Both will finish the season with 60+ points..Kakko will be lucky to hit 60 at this rate in his next 2 seasons combined.

Reactions: Siidekik

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
You can’t disagree that Kreider and Zibanejad are feasting on special teams. It’s a fact.
The fact is that they’re producing that’s a fact

Kreider and Mika have a history of producing at even strength..Kakko?Not so much.Odd hill to die on.Both will finish the season with 60+ points..Kakko will be lucky to hit 60 at this rate in his next 2 seasons combined.
Agreed. I don’t think Kakko has been bad but blaming other line mates for him not producing is silly unless the other line mates weren’t producing which we know isn’t the case

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
The fact is that they’re producing that’s a fact

Agreed. I don’t think Kakko has been bad but blaming other line mates for him not producing is silly unless the other line mates weren’t producing which we know isn’t the case
I don't know what to tell you. Kreider Mika and Kakko are not producing 5v5. That's the discussion. Kakko got the demotion because for some reason no one is willing to admit that Mika-Kreider as a pair is the problem and always has been. Great on the PP, PK and with hugs. Not with 5v5. But as one of the biggest Kakko fans here, i'm fine with him moving to line 3. I think he can do good things with that group once Chytil is back and he can be centered by Tro.

Last edited:

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I don't know what to tell you. Kreider Mika and Kakko are not producing 5v5. That's the discussion. Kakko got the demotion because for some reason no one is willing to admit that Mika-Kreider as a pair is the problem and always has been. Great on the PP and with hugs. Not with 5v5. But as one of the biggest Kakko fans here, i'm fine with him moving to line 3. I think he can do good things with that group once Chytil is back and he can be centered by Tro.
Hopefully. I like Kakko as well as I understand as a bigtime Kakko fan it’s hard for you to critique him but at the end of the day he hasn’t produced much and this is year 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad