Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
5v5 production is NOT advanced analytics.
It was sarcasm

Right now Bread is really the only guy driving even strength production. I wish we had a guy like Crosby even at 36 years of age following all his injuries. He still drives even strength play.
They’re hard to find. Especially when you trade them for Sammy Blais after you find them

Reactions: mas0764 and Rempe73

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He doesn’t read the game as well as Nash or Hossa did. He doesn’t have Jagr’s puck control.

The big mistake was rushing him into the NHL and not having him working on his skating extensively. We — management and fans — were just too excited to unveil our new toy. Chalk it up to lessons learned.
I think he's big enough, has enough puck control that he should be able to bull his way from the corner to the net like Nash and Hossa did, kinda all I'm asking him is to stop going in and out of the corner and just turn and go straight to the net, make them take a penalty or score.

Reactions: CasusBelli

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
When Chytil comes back, put the kid line back together. He looked his best on that line in his short career.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I think he's big enough, has enough puck control that he should be able to bull his way from the corner to the net like Nash and Hossa did, kinda all I'm asking him is to stop going in and out of the corner and just turn and go straight to the net, make them take a penalty or score.
I agree. He just doesn’t have the explosiveness that the other three skaters had, though, and I think it’s harder to work on your skating the older you get. Shooting and strength are much easier and can be polished throughout a player’s career.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
He's not a good fit for that line. He'll get some assists by feeding Kreider/Zib off the wall to get them into the O-zone on the rush... but by the time he gets into the O-zone the puck is already on it's way out. I have a feeling the same thing will happen with Wheeler.

Kakko seems to do his best work when there is a heavy forecheck and cycle line.
Wheeler's o-zone IQ is miles better and has been a legit top of the league level playmaker in his career. Kakko is married to putting his back to the net and grinding the boards.

Wheeler is going to do better because he's a better offensive player.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Wheeler's o-zone IQ is miles better and has been a legit top of the league level playmaker in his career. Kakko is married to putting his back to the net and grinding the boards.

If the the 37 year old starts outproducing the 22 year old, it's going to put some brains in pretzels

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

I get you... and I agree with the premise.

My fear is more that Wheeler is slower than Kakko and right now, Kakko barely makes it into the o-zone based on foot speed.
Kreider/Mika are very much one and done at 5v5. They get their chances off the rush, and then a shot will go wide or will be stopped and that's the end of it.

I don't know if Wheeler has the foot speed to make his hands/vision a factor.

effen

Feb 3, 2018

My fear is more that Wheeler is slower than Kakko and right now, Kakko barely makes it into the o-zone based on foot speed.
Kreider/Mika are very much one and done at 5v5. They get their chances off the rush, and then a shot will go wide or will be stopped and that's the end of it.

Wheeler might make them slow down. Kakko wouldn't dare speak up.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Wheeler is 80th% in skating speed per NHL Data. Kakko is below 50th. That's based on numbers this year. Nobody can actually tell who is fast or slow outside of the real extremes. The difference in 2 mph skating end to end on the rink is 0.5 seconds.

Maybe he plays slower, or is more methodical with his play, but it is objectively false to say that he has been slower skater than Kakko. This is what happens when a guy is old and/or big. Everyone just says he's slow and it gets repeated. Wheeler was always known as a good skater. Last year Wheeler's top speed was 71st percentile and Kakkos was 89th percentile. Wheeler was 91st percentile in bursts over 20 mph. Kakko was 50th.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Kakko often looks like he's moving in place. Wheeler always looks like he's moving, just slowly.

I'd take the guy who knows how to keep momentum over theoretical young legs that just churn butter.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Don't mind that talk from Laviolette.

Good to see him calling everyone out. "He's not been productive, but outside the power play, K-Z have been less than stellar too." Hard to pin that all on KK. Besides, it's not like the first line doesn't get an offensive boost from predominantly playing with Fox or Miller on the point at ES.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Good to see him calling everyone out. "He's not been productive, but outside the power play, K-Z have been less than stellar too." Hard to pin that all on KK. Besides, it's not like the first line doesn't get an offensive boost from predominantly playing with Fox or Miller on the point at ES.
I think pretty obviously if left to their own devices Kreider and Zibanejad will do floaty drivebys and not do anything thats too hard or hurts too much and Kakko isn't gonna upset the apple cart and its just gonna suck like that.

Wheeler has more juice to get them to play a little differently.

Reactions: CasusBelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad