Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I just don’t get how the takeaway from this situation is “demote Kakko” and not “how is a theoretical cup contender generating fewer scoring chances per 60 than the San Jose Sharks and Chicago Blackhawks”. Thats not an advanced stat
Maybe it's finding better chemistry in the line combinations.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Maybe it's finding better chemistry in the line combinations.
problem is Kreider Zibs needs a playmaker and for someone to go get the puck. Zibs is always lagging behind... treats the puck and contact like a pulled grenade. No one goes to the slot as well.

Kreider depends on how he feels on any certain day on how hard he will try.

We need some peregrine falcons. Dive in on the forecheck with speed/tenacity and get the puck. Sadly, Kreider and Zibs are more than capable of doing it but they choose not to.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kreider has 8g 10pts in 11gp
Of
Which
4G
And
9P
Are
On
#PP1

I don't know how many times do I have to stress that point totals and 5v5 are two different things, and need to be discussed as such.

Will be interisting to see Kakko with Cuylle, didn't they play well together during pre-season?

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kreider has 8g 10pts in 11gp. If Kakko had that Ranger fans would be boasting all over the main boards about how he broke out. I’m as big a critique of Mika as anybody, but those 2 guys are stars who have earned the benefit of the doubt when having a cold stretch. Kakko has never shown anything. It’s his D+5 and he’s been stapled to the top 6 this whole time and is on pace for the worst season of his career. He should be traded yesterday
Only trade KK if the trade improves the team. Trading a guy just to trade him is not wise.

Reactions: LOFIN and klingsor

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
problem is Kreider Zibs needs a playmaker and for someone to go get the puck. Zibs is always lagging behind... treats the puck and contact like a pulled grenade. No one goes to the slot as well.

We need some peregrine falcons. Dive in on the forecheck with speed/tenacity and get the puck. Sadly, Kreider and Zibs are more than capable of doing it but they choose not to.

They choose not to, but take refuge behind their special teams play and star status. I'm sorry but allowing that to fly is not strong leadership.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Zooks was a fairly good wing for them. He can carry the puck and is obviously a good playmaker. Lets see how Wheeler works out. If not Wheeler we can try Cuylle or break up CK and Zibs.

Reactions: duhmetreE

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Not surprised Kakko got demoted, just didn't do enough to maintain his spot on that line. I know, Zibanejad and Kreider haven't done much either, but they have a track record and therefore will get a much longer leash.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not surprised Kakko got demoted, just didn't do enough to maintain his spot on that line. I know, Zibanejad and Kreider haven't done much either, but they have a track record and therefore will get a much longer leash.
I just hope Laviolette has them on a short leash now, because we've seen Kreider and Zibanejad be together for 3 straight coaches and nothing ever seems to change.

Can someone post a tweet that lists the new lines? Thanks.

Reactions: CLW and will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

This is the problem we have. We cry for Kakko to be moved off that line, so maybe he can get going, and then we call it a "demotion." I'm sure Laviolette has talked to Kakko about it (unlike Gallant). And I'm sure he did not say it was a demotion. It's about finding the right line combinations. Getting off that line for Kakko is not a demotion, it is probably a get-out-of-jail card.

And a Cuylle-Trocheck-Kakko line after Chytil gets back will be potentially bonkers. Plus, I will guarantee Zib and Kreider will be trying to accommodate Wheeler more than they did Kakko.

Last edited:

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I just hope Laviolette has them on a short leash now, because we've seen Kreider and Zibanejad be together for 3 straight coaches and nothing ever seems to change.

NYRs are so weak at RW, that Vitali Kravtsov easily could make the top 6 on a PTO today.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Chytil being injured again really kills our center depth.Now we are forcing Bonino to center the 3rd line and he's not a playmaker at all.Maybe this will give kk the confidence to try and make more plays and be the playmaker on the line...I don't know,I'm trying to find something to be positive about that line and his demotion

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Might have something to do with the fact that Kreider/Zibanejad have put up good numbers together at 5v5 almost ever single season.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Might have something to do with the fact that Kreider/Zibanejad have put up good numbers together at 5v5 almost ever single season.
Zibanejad, yes. Kakko actually had more even strength points than Kreider last season.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Chytil being injured again really kills our center depth.Now we are forcing Bonino to center the 3rd line and he's not a playmaker at all.Maybe this will give kk the confidence to try and make more plays and be the playmaker on the line...I don't know,I'm trying to find something to be positive about that line and his demotion
Kakko should be able to get off the walls and do his puck protected curl moves against opponents' lesser players.

Reactions: romba and klingsor

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Of
Which
4G
And
9P
Are
On
#PP1

I don't know how many times do I have to stress that point totals and 5v5 are two different things, and need to be discussed as such.

Will be interisting to see Kakko with Cuylle, didn't they play well together during pre-season?

5v5 points for the top line:

Kreider: 2
Kakko: 2
Zibanejad: 1

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
don't think this is a reflection on kakko, certainly not primarily about him. he hasn't been great, but he hasn't been bad either. that line just hasn't clicked, and i think the bigger driver of this move is about getting wheeler going. besides, outside of panarin/laf there hasn't been a whole lot of 5 on 5 offense generated by the rest of the roster. kakko/cuylle may wind up being a good fit. could see that duo complementing each other well with cuylles ability to retrieve pucks and play down low/gets to the net. all that time spent playing keepaway kakko does might just turn into a lot more chances with a fast, physical, and almost exclusively north south like a bull in a china shop, player on the other wing. get puck, get puck into o zone. get puck to net. no overthinking it that way.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Panarin-Mika-Laf
Kreider-Trocheck-Wheeler
Cuylle-Goodrow-Kakko
Vesey-Bonino-Pitlick

Id try something like that, breaking up Mika/Kreids has to be the next thing they try
Switch Pitlick and Goodrow, then put Vesey on RW4 and Goodrow on LW4, and I agree.

Panarin-Trocheck was brutal most of last year and maybe use him and Laf to get Mika going. Kreider/Trocheck/Wheeler is a good gritty/garbage goal line. Kakko Cuylle were good together and maybe can figure something else out with a third winger.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
scMJUbY.jpg

Chemistry issues

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Zibanejad, yes. Kakko actually had more even strength points than Kreider last season.

I was talking about their stats as a line. Not individual numbers. Pretty much every year they've been a great line in terms of most metrics. They work well together. Everyone always just wants to break up things that work. It's the same with the PP. We've heard for a year now that Trocheck shouldn't be there meanwhile they've been a top 5 PP the entire time.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yeah, that line never clicked; they've all had very little impact. And Kakko has looked best on lines where he is expected to carry the mail anyway. Get Chytil healthy, and give Cuylle-Trocheck-Kakko a shot.

I'm beyond worrying about Kreider-Zib; they'll be underwhelming 5v5 for large chunks of the season. As long as they keep producing on the PP, and they find a way to impact games at even strength in the playoffs.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Switch Pitlick and Goodrow, then put Vesey on RW4 and Goodrow on LW4, and I agree.

Panarin-Trocheck was brutal most of last year and maybe use him and Laf to get Mika going. Kreider/Trocheck/Wheeler is a good gritty/garbage goal line. Kakko Cuylle were good together and maybe can figure something else out with a third winger.
Pitlick cant play center can he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad