Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I care about ES. We aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if Mika and Kreider don't want to do anything at ES. Not sure what you think Kakko is going to do at ES if his linemates don't do anything, he's not McDavid.
I expect him to actually do something, anything. There isn't 1 part of his game that makes me optimistic. I don't think he's a top line player and he needs to step it up. I'm certainly not going to get on a guy like Kreider that has scored 88 goals the last 2 years and 8 in 11 this year. Mika will also be there. I'm worried about Kakko more than any other player on this team considering he plays on the 1st line and his draft pedigree.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I'd be concerned, but i'm not.

What the f*** have Mika and Kreider done at ES this season? I'm FAR more concerned with their play at ES. The whole line has been pretty bad at ES but when i'm looking to blame players, I'll go to the "leaders" first. Seems like they at just content at floating around at ES and waiting for the PP to come around to pad their stats.

Kreider - 2 ES goals (one tonight)
Kakko - 1 ES goal
Mika - 1 ES goal
Mika actually has 0 lol. 8.5 mil for that every year

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Imagine if he played on the smaller ice surface before being drafted. He's a big ice surface type of player .

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
None of Kakko, Zib or Kreider are helping each other right now, but what’s most worrisome to me is even in years past when Kakko wasn’t doing much offensively, he was still a takeaway and possession machine. Even that seems to have disappeared. Maybe part of that is system related (better team defense requires fewer outlier individual efforts), but no matter how you slice it, his play very concerning.

It’s hard to explain cause that trio looked so good together at times last year.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I expect him to actually do something, anything. There isn't 1 part of his game that makes me optimistic. I don't think he's a top line player and he needs to step it up. I'm certainly not going to get on a guy like Kreider that has scored 88 goals the last 2 years and 8 in 11 this year. Mika will also be there. I'm worried about Kakko more than any other player on this team considering he plays on the 1st line and his draft pedigree.
I agree 100%

We'll get back a 1st for him!
Only to trade it for a veteran 6D or 12F

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'd be concerned, but i'm not.

What the f*** have Mika and Kreider done at ES this season? I'm FAR more concerned with their play at ES. The whole line has been pretty bad at ES but when i'm looking to blame players, I'll go to the "leaders" first. Seems like they at just content at floating around at ES and waiting for the PP to come around to pad their stats.

Kreider - 2 ES goals (one tonight)
Kakko - 1 ES goal
Mika - 1 ES goal

Kreider got a goal because there was actually a shot for once from the blueline, from a set play to boot. Kreider's goal has nothing to do with the play of that line. It's easy, and lazy, to point to Kakko as the issue with that line but there are several more.

What we are seeing with Kreider and Mika floating around looking pretty ES with Kakko toiling in desperation and with zero traction is exactly to the point of what I warned against at the start of the season.

Mutual support on that line is basically non-existent. Kakko's game is to be a facilitator. If you follow soccer he's a midfield player moving the ball keeping possession. The issue is he has basically nobody to play this game with. Mika, Fil, Trocheck are the C and none of them are any use as playmakers. The D overall suck at anything involving the puck (Fox apart obviously, Gus is hit and miss). Even if the team gets a cycle going the cycle dies on the sticks of the D. Kreider's possession game is rudimentary at best. Mika's been a giant sucking ES void to start the season.

You can see why the team defaults to keeping the score even ES and go for the win with the special teams. In this scenario playing a Lavi style solid defensive game is much smarter than Gallant's approach.

Kakko and Laf, even the improved skating faffing around Laf, are without identity on this team. That is not entirely their own fault. The major issue is that both look like shells of the players they could be, and there is no easy fix.

From their individual pov it would probably be better for both to move to teams that suit their style better, but that is easier said than done.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
He and Laf have been really disappointing. Kakko looked like he was ready to solidify himself at the 1st line RW, and he’s been just lost out there. Granted his line mates aren’t helping, and they haven’t played well themselves.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kakko had a really strong preseason/camp, but that hasnt translated to the season for whatever reason.

We really havent seen him control the puck at the length of time we've seen in the past, I dont know if thats a function of his linemates, the system, lack of confidence or a mixture of it all.

He was looking like he would breakout, but he's been quiet and last night it looked like a regression. He was bodied off pucks, erring on the side of caution, playing things safe with dump ins which resulted in giveaways. Not getting to the inside at all - or even wanting to try.

10 shots in his first 5 games, more involved. 1-1-2, +1
Only 4 shots over his last 6, very quiet. 0-0-0, E

He really needs to show more

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Kakko had a really strong preseason/camp, but that hasnt translated to the season for whatever reason.

We really havent seen him control the puck at the length of time we've seen in the past, I dont know if thats a function of his linemates, the system, lack of confidence or a mixture of it all.

He was looking like he would breakout, but he's been quiet and last night it looked like a regression. He was bodied off pucks, erring on the side of caution, playing things safe with dump ins which resulted in giveaways. Not getting to the inside at all - or even wanting to try.

10 shots in his first 5 games, more involved. 1-1-2, +1
4 shots over his last 6, very quiet. 0-0-0, E
Can we both abandon our avatars? Maybe it's our avatars putting too much pressure on him.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don't blame Kakko. He's got as many points as our highly paid "#1 Center" at 5v5. They won't allow him to play on the PP so his only opportunity to put up points is on a line with 2 guys who are just going for a light skate waiting for special teams to happen. Put him in Laf's spot tied to Panarin's hip and he'd be putting up okay numbers and Laf would be the one we're all freaking out about.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
I don't blame Kakko. He's got as many points as our highly paid "#1 Center" at 5v5. They won't allow him to play on the PP so his only opportunity to put up points is on a line with 2 guys who are just going for a light skate waiting for special teams to happen. Put him in Laf's spot tied to Panarin's hip and he'd be putting up okay numbers and Laf would be the one we're all freaking out about.

Sorry. I'm seeing the puck die on Kakko's stick a lot. And while both their skating isn't anything to write home about

Kaka = The drizzling shits.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
None of Kakko, Zib or Kreider are helping each other right now, but what’s most worrisome to me is even in years past when Kakko wasn’t doing much offensively, he was still a takeaway and possession machine. Even that seems to have disappeared. Maybe part of that is system related (better team defense requires fewer outlier individual efforts), but no matter how you slice it, his play very concerning.

It’s hard to explain cause that trio looked so good together at times last year.
They looked good at times this year too. First few games, Kakko was creating turnovers and setting those guys up, they just weren't finishing.

Last 5 games or so, nothing though. Really want to see Kakko try and assert himself more out there.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think that while the PP2s ice time isn't up this year their shifts have been different. They've started some powerplays so they've actually had an opportunity to set up rather than come on for 30 seconds and basically have no time for anything.
Yeah. Unlike last year pp2 hasn’t been limited to nothing but 30 second shifts. I’d say closer to 45-50 seconds which is not GREAT, but PP1 is PP1 for a reason, and it’s still a bit more time to do something. I didn’t expect them to immediately start filling the net but the extra time WILL pay dividends in confidence and eventually they’ll start chipping some in. It’s progress so I’ll take it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad