Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
once more time. he needet to grow into monster from beginning feedet with 25min playing time in games.like willow at meadowlands. instead here they making everything he not succeedet. not surprising if he alone in dark at some apartment complex by this time Atari video games a playing all day night long when not at icerink a suffering hard evidencely heavily downhill forcing trauma. anyboty believe it? it happen all times. especially for from small countryside leaving finnish boy for biggest metropol like big apple in the world. seem like coach here as accurate as til he sold or traded as manure pile. that were they seem to be aim. no icetime no points. no trust no grow.13min in game not enough. he needet 25min. zimbabwead needet 13min and panarin. my opinions.these guys no winners.they surf with large amount of icetime giving in personal numbers a rise

sir avgard hockeyprofessor

At least we now know who’s writing the Closed Captions for the telecasts…..

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
once more time. he needet to grow into monster from beginning feedet with 25min playing time in games.like willow at meadowlands. instead here they making everything he not succeedet. not surprising if he alone in dark at some apartment complex by this time Atari video games a playing all day night long when not at icerink a suffering hard evidencely heavily downhill forcing trauma. anyboty believe it? it happen all times. especially for from small countryside leaving finnish boy for biggest metropol like big apple in the world. seem like coach here as accurate as til he sold or traded as manure pile. that were they seem to be aim. no icetime no points. no trust no grow.13min in game not enough. he needet 25min. zimbabwead needet 13min and panarin. my opinions.these guys no winners.they surf with large amount of icetime giving in personal numbers a rise

Sounds like the premise for a new Netflix movie.

• Haha
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Yes, and what's the similarity? A right handed shot in the slot. A PP has structure. It's not "put your five best players on the ice." If you want Kakko/Laf on PP1 you're totally blowing up the entire unit that has worked for years. Panarin now has to go back to the left. Zibanejad has to go back to the slot. Kakko/Laf need to go to the right half wall. Or you just put the lefty in the bumper and they will not accomplish anything because the structure does not permit it.

Obviously I do not disagree with this, I'm saying that I think this structure has been a detriment to the development of our top two picks. It is what it is. Though, if this pp crushes the regular season but isn't a factor once the playoffs progress, I think restructuring it to fit the two kids next season should be a thing. What good is this pp structure if we lose in 3 rounds or under in the playoffs 3 years in a row?

I love all the pp goals we score and I am hoping for the best. This pp just hasn't put us over the top in the playoffs the past two years.

*Also, it's rather rongo that Kreider decided to become Tomas Holmstrom as soon as we drafted two top two picks.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He and Kreider are actually really good along the boards and down low together, but the chemistry is still working itself out. Often one of them will win the puck and make a quick pass to the other in a good area to make something happen, but the pass is just a bit off and in the skates and the play dies because 5 on 5 you're immediately under duress if you even need to adjust the puck position on your stick.

Also KK has forced quite a few offensive zone turnovers that lead to nothing, and other times almost steals the puck in the slot but it hops over his stick or ends up juuuust out of his reach, and the opposition continues on their merry way with KK behind the play. Eventually a few of these will go his way and be cashed in on.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I wonder why you don't say the same for Kreider and Zibanejad, they have been missing good chances. They will eventually start going in. The line has been decent.

I still maintain that as long as we're winning games, don't mess with the lineup. Let it figure itself out. Because if we now try to do a quick fix a la swapping Wheeler or Vesey to the 1st line with Zibanejad and Kreider, that would be a huge mistake. It might give a boost to their scoring because they play rush hockey, but in the big picture this is going to be an issue. You are going to have limited chances with that style of play in the playoffs, and you will be a problem defensively. It's much more imperative that Kreider and Zibanejad learn to play a cycling game, because that might actually work come springtime. If it takes 5 or 10 more games to do then so be it, as long as we keep winning games we should. We can afford this type of "experimentation".

Because first off Kreider has 5 goals already LOL so that’s just a zero comparison

Mika has hit more posts than kakko has had looks at the net. Mika is a point per game player 40 -50 goal guy.

Kakko has never produced. Comparing him to those guys for the benefit of the doubt is obscene frankly. He’s a very solid middle 6 guy who would look tremendous on a true match up line with Trocheck. He actually might put up more points away from a top line whether he likes it or not.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because first off Kreider has 5 goals already LOL so that’s just a zero comparison
Kreider has 5 goals, of which 3 are on the PP and 1 SHG. Even strength, he has as many goals as Kakko. So I don't really see your point.
Mika has hit more posts than kakko has had looks at the net. Mika is a point per game player 40 -50 goal guy.
But he doesn't have any even strength goals this season. Who gives a f*** what he did previously, when we are talking about performance this season?

This is just stupid, you are saying we should all point our fingers at just Kakko because he hasn't scored before, and Kreider and Zibanejad get an absolute free pass of any criticism because they have done it before? What?

The line hasn't looked "bad". They have been inefficient, yes. But there is no reason to break them up as long as we keep winning. Let them figure it out.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

i 100 fulleth agreement.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Obviously I do not disagree with this, I'm saying that I think this structure has been a detriment to the development of our top two picks. It is what it is. Though, if this pp crushes the regular season but isn't a factor once the playoffs progress, I think restructuring it to fit the two kids next season should be a thing. What good is this pp structure if we lose in 3 rounds or under in the playoffs 3 years in a row?

I love all the pp goals we score and I am hoping for the best. This pp just hasn't put us over the top in the playoffs the past two years.

*Also, it's rather rongo that Kreider decided to become Tomas Holmstrom as soon as we drafted two top two picks.

The powerplay is 27.4% in the playoffs the last two seasons which is an improvement on the 24.6% it was in the regular season.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
The powerplay is 27.4% in the playoffs the last two seasons which is an improvement on the 24.6% it was in the regular season.

Truth. Sample size obviously makes a difference, but that's pretty depressing that even with a powerplay like that we haven't been able to get it done.

Sweet powerplay but the kids are making slow progressions partially because of this. They're young, they're not going anywhere. Just want to see them gain more confidence playing with those guys 5v4. Just annoying that it can't be done because of the structure you mentioned before. Though, I think NHL coaches can make those adjustments and it will happen one day. Ironically our whole powerplay has also been pretty injury free the past few years.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Truth. Sample size obviously makes a difference, but that's pretty depressing that even with a powerplay like that we haven't been able to get it done.

Sweet powerplay but the kids are making slow progressions partially because of this. They're young, they're not going anywhere. Just want to see them gain more confidence playing with those guys 5v4. Just annoying that it can't be done because of the structure you mentioned before. Though, I think NHL coaches can make those adjustments and it will happen one day. Ironically our whole powerplay has also been pretty injury free the past few years.

I think that while the PP2s ice time isn't up this year their shifts have been different. They've started some powerplays so they've actually had an opportunity to set up rather than come on for 30 seconds and basically have no time for anything.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Need more buddy.

He hasnt been bad but he really needs a multi-point game to get going.

Again, that line 5on5 hasnt been bad but hasnt been great. Thing is, it kinda needs to be if Kakko is going to stay there all year. He doesnt have the luxury of top PP time like his two linemates, so it puts more onus on his 5on5 production.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
this guy like in finnish hockey player cemetury. said time to wake up many time. he need to take puck every time and forcing it asap to opponent goal and forcing it in. no more standing still. no more passing. time to getting angry. wake up move legs please. or go home. come over these shit players fox. panarins. zimbabeedads. kreiders. kakko having mental illness putted up by team headquarters and coach. no more if so Atari video games at apartment complex late at nights and free days.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I think that while the PP2s ice time isn't up this year their shifts have been different. They've started some powerplays so they've actually had an opportunity to set up rather than come on for 30 seconds and basically have no time for anything.
This, but I want to see the coaching staff work with the kids on forcin the issue more instead of just cycling endlessly. Identify the oddman situation down low, dip the shoulder and drive the net. Movement away from the puck that allows someone to cut in at the circle to get a better angle and send the shot with the screen in front. More shooting off the pass and passing into a shooting position vs. less caroms off the boards to the wall side of the player that take a half second to corral and result in less time and space.

There is no difference between their play at ES and on the PP, and it shows in their shot rates.

While Laf is also quite good at deflections, I think this sells him short. I'd rather see Trocheck take PP2's draws and one of Laf or Kakko on the RW half wall on PP1 in lieu of Trocheck. Trocheck can play netfront/Kreider role, and essentially the handedness of the two units can be reversed.

Kreider
Panarin-Zib-Laf/Kakko
Fox

and

Trocheck
Wheeler-Chytil-Kakko/Laf
Gus

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Love me some Kakko

But he needs to finish. Its the last level of his development

He's been conditioned to play it safe. At times it looks like he'd rather take the puck to the corner than risk turning it over for an odd man rush by driving to the slot, but, he and his line need to learn to work the slot both high and low. I'm not a fan of the game where he goes to stand in front of the goalie and wrestle with the D hoping for a deflection or rebound from a shot that never comes, but the coaches seem happy with that so what can he do...?

Then again, the Rangers have so many chiefs and are short on Indians.

Reactions: RagFinMet

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
He had the goalie beat on a breakaway needs to put that one home

I'm not talking about an isolated event like a breakaway. For all the wonderful underlying metrics there are, he's not producing. And while he does a lot of good things for Zib and Kreider, he's still not producing, and he's not winning 1 on 1 battles. Would I take him off that line? Not yet. Another 5-10 games of nothing and then yeah, maybe Lavi needs to relook that line combination.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This, but I want to see the coaching staff work with the kids on forcin the issue more instead of just cycling endlessly. Identify the oddman situation down low, dip the shoulder and drive the net. Movement away from the puck that allows someone to cut in at the circle to get a better angle and send the shot with the screen in front. More shooting off the pass and passing into a shooting position vs. less caroms off the boards to the wall side of the player that take a half second to corral and result in less time and space.

There is no difference between their play at ES and on the PP, and it shows in their shot rates.

While Laf is also quite good at deflections, I think this sells him short. I'd rather see Trocheck take PP2's draws and one of Laf or Kakko on the RW half wall on PP1 in lieu of Trocheck. Trocheck can play netfront/Kreider role, and essentially the handedness of the two units can be reversed.

Kreider
Panarin-Zib-Laf/Kakko
Fox

and

Trocheck
Wheeler-Chytil-Kakko/Laf
Gus

Except you're now totally changing a PP unit that ranks 4th at 25.3% since last year in order to give more looks to other guys. Can we wait for the PP to go cold for a sizable stretch before considering changes?

Reactions: will1066

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Except you're now totally changing a PP unit that ranks 4th at 25.3% since last year in order to give more looks to other guys. Can we wait for the PP to go cold for a sizable stretch before considering changes?
That is logical. Or just divide the PP unit time a bit more evenly in games that are not close. If Laf, KK and Chytil are all worthy of playing on PP1 (as some posters imply) shouldn't they be able to make PP2 a good PP if given more time?

Reactions: bhamill

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
That is logical. Or just divide the PP unit time a bit more evenly in games that are not close. If Laf, KK and Chytil are all worthy of playing on PP1 (as some posters imply) shouldn't they be able to make PP2 a good PP if given more time?

I would not mess around with the PP until 5v5 play starts actually producing instead of getting jobbed. The PP is carrying the offense right now.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I would not mess around with the PP until 5v5 play starts actually producing instead of getting jobbed. The PP is carrying the offense right now.
I agree but if we have a big lead in the third period I would be okay with the second unit PP playing more. What I don't like is people saying 3 young players should be on PP1. If they are worthy of being on PP1 then PP2 should be good as well given more PP time.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Marcel Hossa 2.0. That's his upside based on what he has shown and he's showing it. I've seen flashes of some skill but not consistent enough. Seems to loose confidence quickly

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
The PP was over 30% (granted, small sample size) last season in the configuration I'm advocating for with Tarasenko at the RW half wall before the Kane trade (and I believe scored 2 PPG's in the game Tarasenko returned to that spot when Kane sat to rest).

Granted Tarasenko > Kakko/Laf, but I think they should be being prepared for that role, and I think it gives different looks that make Zibanejad a threat from the bumper (whereas Trocheck is not), and Panarin has a pretty good one timer from the LW circle too. The Zbad one timer from the circle just hasn't been working b/c teams and goalies know it's coming, and there's not much of a counter on the other side of the ice. The majority of the PPG have just been Kreider deflections, which is great, but the PP becomes even better with more options. The way I see it, with the revamped configuration, Kreider continues doing Kreider things, and teams can't cover 3 serious threats and Kreider while still maintaining gap control on the point. Meanwhile, PP2 is made instantly better by Trocheck taking draws (not Chytil or Laf) and playing netfront, which frees up Laf or Kakko to try to create more. If you want a right shot on the LW circle of PP2 to counter, you can put Wheeler there, and with Gus at the point, the 2 PP units essentially become perfect mirror images of one another and can practice the same set plays from opposite sides of the ice so there's one PP "system."

TL;DR - yes the PP is good, but I think it could be great. And get one of the kids more looks with the man advantage, which will help their development. Plus help with PP2 since Chytil or Laf won't be taking draws at 40%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad