Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
With how hot Trocheck is with Panarin and Laf, you might see Chytil with Kakko and Cuylle, and we know Kakko has had chemistry with Chytil. I think that may work out well if the coach leaves Vinny with Panarin and Laf.
The Template is inevitable.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I consistently see the same thing with Kakko. He plays much more assertive away from Zibanejad and Panarin. I really like him with Cuylle, I think their games mesh well and that's something that can grow long term. Throw Chytil in between them and it's a legit line.

That trio (20/93/24) was really good at the start of last season, but not so much this season. 20 and 93 love to carry the puck up the middle or left side of the ice, and Kakko doesn't hang with them on rush zone entries. If Kakko brings the puck up ice, they don't really support him, so he always gets angled into the boards by the blueline and either turns it over, or has to dump. 93 is soft on the cycle in the o-zone, and they prefer to keep 20 net front, so that line really can't get a cycle going when they do dump it in.

At this point might as well just leave Kakko with Cuylle. Bonino is where scoring chances go to die on that line though, and if they need to with someone out, I'd rather they put Goodrow there.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
That trio (20/93/24) was really good at the start of last season, but not so much this season. 20 and 93 love to carry the puck up the middle or left side of the ice, and Kakko doesn't hang with them on rush zone entries. If Kakko brings the puck up ice, they don't really support him, so he always gets angled into the boards by the blueline and either turns it over, or has to dump. 93 is soft on the cycle in the o-zone, and they prefer to keep 20 net front, so that line really can't get a cycle going when they do dump it in.

At this point might as well just leave Kakko with Cuylle. Bonino is where scoring chances go to die on that line though, and if they need to with someone out, I'd rather they put Goodrow there.
Cuylle Chytil Kakko will be a nice middle6 line. Hopefully Cuylle and Kakko can make up for Chytil's defensive deficiencies. Kakko is responsible and Cuylle has looked the part.... especially in his backcheck.

Still do not think we can leave Wheeler on the top Zibs matchup line? I guess at this point, it is what it is.... maybe Othmann comes up eventually? I can see a Neiderreiter there at the TDL

Kakko has worked well with a Center that skates, forechecks and attacks. Zibs aint it rn

Last edited:

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Cuylle Chytil Kakko will be a nice middle6 line. Hopefully Cuylle and Kakko can make up for Chytil's defensive deficiencies. Kakko is responsible and Cuylle has looked the part.... especially in his backcheck.

Still do not think we can leave Wheeler on the top Zibs matchup line? I guess at this point, it is what it is.... maybe Othmann comes up eventually? I can see a Neiderreiter there at the TDL

Kakko has worked well with a Center that skates, forechecks and attacks. Zibs aint it rn
Kane

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I really would like to bring in Kane and have it work, but we DID see it last year and it sucked. And Kane's metrics are god awful.

I guess gun to my head would I prefer Kane for a cheap contract in that spot, or Wheeler in that spot, or a rental for an expensive pick or prospect? I'll take Kane.

But if you could get like a Neiderreiter for a mid round pick that might be the best.

Really it would be the best if Kakko and Wheeler just got out of their funks and Othmann showed he had some juice up here before the deadline.

Reactions: zlev

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Piggybacking off of the Laffy thread....

the guy needs an identity. He's lost right now.

Above all, he needs to start attacking the middle of the ice.

We talk about being a 'Mark Stone'... He has Stephenson in Vegas. They've been glued together. Stylistically, he needs to be centered by Tro or Chytil. An attacking Center that can skate imo

Cuylle Tro/Chytil Kakko makes too much sense.

Reactions: mas0764

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

We talk about being a 'Mark Stone'... He has Stephenson in Vegas. They've been glued together. Stylistically, he needs to be centered by Tro or Chytil. An attacking Center that can skate imo

Whether it’s Chytil or Trocheck ultimately I feel comfortable with that line and I think it fits each players skill set.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

I thought he quietly had a very solid game. He worked his nads off defensively, was sufficiently physical, wasn't married to the boards (see that line's first shift where he did attack the middle ice, more of that pls) or a particular spot in the D zone. He covered the ice necessary and set up 3 or 4 really good looks for his team mates and his possession game helped the team (eg the PP2 goal).

Laffy has Panarin who is back on form. Tro is also going right now. But Fil's non-stop injuries (recurring injury?) are concerning.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I learned on HFBoards that PP goals count *checks notes* less than 5 on 5 goals.

PP ≠ ES.

Very difficult concept but I'm here to help. PP = your team has a numerical superiority against your opponent, frequently you play a specilized unit to take advantage of this fact.

ES i.e. Even Strength, both teams employ the standard amount of players i.e. 5v5.

Hope that helps.

• Haha
Reactions: duhmetreE

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
PP ≠ ES.

Very difficult concept but I'm here to help. PP = your team has a numerical superiority against your opponent, frequently you play a specilized unit to take advantage of this fact.

ES i.e. Even Strength, both teams employ the standard amount of players i.e. 5v5.

Hope that helps.

Ok, as far as I can tell goals scored when your team has numerical superiority count the same as goals scored when you don't.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Something worth pointing out, last year Kakko finished with 37 EV points, good for the top 120 in the league for forwards. Purely from a numbers standpoint, there's 192 top 6 spots in the league. So make of that top 120 position what you will. He's in some good company with those numbers, there are some very good players in that range.

Anyway, Kakko spent ~530 minutes EV with the Chytil and Laf line. ~230 minutes EV with the Zibanejad and Kreider line. A handful of different variations but those were the main 2. He put up 21 points on that Chytil line and 8 on the Zibanejad line. So he did produce at a higher pace on that Chytil line, not just in terms of the overall numbers. Not by a huge margin but its worth making a note of. Chock that up to whatever you want, better chemistry with the kids, easier matchups... either way, the way that Panarin line is rolling with Vinny and Laf.. Chytil probably slots in between Kakko and Cuylle, that could jumpstart the kid.

Chytil was crucified 2 years ago centering that struggling line of Gauthier and Laf. Deadline deals reconnected the kid line toward the playoffs and they had a real strong showing that year. Kakko seems to be in the same boat, his "stuggles" this year seem to really be more indicative of how inept that top line has been

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Hopefully Kakko can become better than the top 2 overall busts of the 83 draft..Brian Lawton and Sylvain Turgeon ... then again same for Laf i guess.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I really would like to bring in Kane and have it work, but we DID see it last year and it sucked. And Kane's metrics are god awful.

I guess gun to my head would I prefer Kane for a cheap contract in that spot, or Wheeler in that spot, or a rental for an expensive pick or prospect? I'll take Kane.

But if you could get like a Neiderreiter for a mid round pick that might be the best.

Really it would be the best if Kakko and Wheeler just got out of their funks and Othmann showed he had some juice up here before the deadline.
Backstrom is a cautionary tale for all the people who want Kane.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
You’re all very wrong. Analytically he was right there with Laf in this game. Should have had a point. Line 3 (with an anchor at center) were great. Barely any chances for Columbus when he was on the ice.

Reactions: klingsor and maris

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
You’re all very wrong. Analytically he was right there with Laf in this game. Should have had a point. Line 3 (with an anchor at center) were great. Barely any chances for Columbus when he was on the ice.

He's not really driving play. He's doing decent support work, but he needs to understand that, with his present level of speed, none of the power moves he likes to make will work at all. If he's going to be doing anything, he needs to get faster. He's simply too slow and methodical. Cuylle, in contrast, is driving to the net and puts actual pressure on defenders.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
He's not really driving play. He's doing decent support work, but he needs to understand that, with his present level of speed, none of the power moves he likes to make will work at all. If he's going to be doing anything, he needs to get faster. He's simply too slow and methodical. Cuylle, in contrast, is driving to the net and puts actual pressure on defenders.
He lacks speed, drive and instincts. We need to send him down. He really needs chytil.

Reactions: will1066
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad