Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kakko is in a contract year. It’s an interesting thing. If his numbers are low, what’s he going to command? 15 G 27 points or whatever? $4M per? He’ll be frustrated and may want out. The Rangers will also be frustrated and probably want to move on soon, no?

Wonder how this plays out. Was really hopeful for the kid this year, hope he finds his game soon
Kakko is in a contract year and playing like shit on purpose to drive his AAV lower, so Drury has more cap flexibility to spend money where it really matters.

Incredible team player. Wow what a nice guy.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Drury -for-a-Day.
I would get Kakko’s childhood hero (Saku Koivu/Olli Olli Jokinen or whoever it is) to fly to NY and spend a week with Kappo and try to get his head straight.
Even if it cost 30 k in Air fare, Hotels, Meals and personal service fees it would be money well spent.
Appeal to his Finnish pride.

Reactions: mas0764

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Drury -for-a-Day.
I would get Kakko’s childhood hero (Saku Koivu/Olli Olli Jokinen or whoever it is) to fly to NY and spend a week with Kappo and try to get his head straight.
Even if it cost 30 k in Air fare, Hotels, Meals and personal service fees it would be money well spent.

The Rangers:

"Best we can do do is Brendan Smith big bro-ing you for a season 4 years ago and Mikkola for 3 months. Wake up, you Finnish loser."

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kakko is in a contract year. It’s an interesting thing. If his numbers are low, what’s he going to command? 15 G 27 points or whatever? $4M per? He’ll be frustrated and may want out. The Rangers will also be frustrated and probably want to move on soon, no?

Wonder how this plays out. Was really hopeful for the kid this year, hope he finds his game soon

Kakko + contract year. It's not a great combo. I don't doubt he trained hard and came to camp ready, but once the real season started he's been a stiff. He needs to relax and stop overthinking but he just can't let go of his perfectionism and self protection. Every time he should zig he zags to safety. He is the polar opposite of what he was when he was drafted. For example, his game on the first line was to attempt to spring Zib and Kreider for rush offense through the neutral zone. Was that the Kakko game when he was drafted, no it wasn't, not nearly.

I see people shit on him and say he is worse than what he was his first year but that is absurd baloney. He is very strong defensively, but that again goes to his self protection.

If he wants to score and get offensive numbers he needs to attack the slot and the crease with laser precision, drive and speed. That was literally his game before he came to the Rangers. Now, in the name of team puck possession, that's the last thing he is doing. I have no doubt the coaches are happy with his safe defense first game, espescially since the team is winning, but he is in a situation where he individually needs to up points, never mind he's been playing with coma Zib and corpse Bonino.

For whatever reason this team has never seen Kakko in a confident, flow state. I think the team should wait with trading him until that happens, but why not trade him and watch it happen elsewhere. That's the NYR way isn't it. On the other hand, maybe he won't overcome his Ranger PTSD in a Ranger shirt.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
It’s amazing looking at threads like this and seeing the people (mainly one) who like every negative post. Real quiet on the Laf front now though. Somehow still loud on the Kravstov front.

12-2-1. These are the good times.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
It’s amazing looking at threads like this and seeing the people (mainly one) who like every negative post. Real quiet on the Laf front now though. Somehow still loud on the Kravstov front.

12-2-1. These are the good times.
I thought last year was the opposite. Kakko, even when he wasn’t scoring, was still playing really well and doing things to help the team, whether it’s play good defense, or make a play in the offensive zone that leads to a chance. This year, he just looks kinda lost, while Laf is playing great.

He has looked better playing with Cuylle. That’s probably the best forechecking line. When they get Chytil back I’m sure it’ll get him going. Those two have chemistry.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
I thought last year was the opposite. Kakko, even when he wasn’t scoring, was still playing really well and doing things to help the team, whether it’s play good defense, or make a play in the offensive zone that leads to a chance. This year, he just looks kinda lost, while Laf is playing great.

He has looked better playing with Cuylle. That’s probably the best forechecking line. When they get Chytil back I’m sure it’ll get him going. Those two have chemistry.
Yep. Get Chytil and see how they look. If he's holding the line back at that point, figure something out at the TDL.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Im not a big stats guy but 0 goals and 1 assist in his last 14 games is not sustainable. Id be curious what his mindset is. What are the coaches saying to him? I expect him to snap out of it because he should be able to score more than 1 point in 14 games by accident. Just stand near the net and you will probably have a puck bounce off you in 14 games. He is better than this. Hopefully he will break out soon because its getting late.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Drury -for-a-Day.

Olli Jokinen should be banned from MSG for life after his brief tenure here

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Was he that bad? 15 points in 26 games. I don't recall disliking him
He was on the downside of his career. Wasn't totally done though. The big thing was our playoff hopes ended on his stick vs Philly in the last game of the season. He wasn't totally done though. Had a couple of solid seasons after the Rangers.

Reactions: savebyrichter94

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Was he that bad? 15 points in 26 games. I don't recall disliking him

He was a complete stiff regardless of the point totals. One of the classic "name" deadline deals Sather made. He barely gave an effort when Torts picked him to go in the shootout in the must win game against Philly.

Reactions: savebyrichter94

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Kakko still wants to go east-west too much when he’s one of the stronger guys on the ice at any given time. He’s excellent in the blue paint but has never shown a willingness to go there consistently. Until he starts taking that part of the game seriously he’ll never be more than an all-defense bottom 6 wing.
This, and he's too clean. Throw an elbow once a while, make it hurt the defenseman when you take a puck to the net. He gives defenses zero deterrent to stopping him.

Since the first 2 weeks of the season:
-Off the rush, he's been consistently slow and behind the play.
-Off the forecheck, he's been passive...hasn't finished his checks, hasn't really engaged and battled. He reaches in for the puck and if he gets beat, he just seems to give up. If he possesses it, he'll turn his back to the D and pivot back and forth along the wall but never turns to face the net, never drives the net. He'll either move the puck along the perimeter, or possess it until he's double teamed, then cough it up. Zero offense generated.
-No willingness to shoot, no willingness to take the puck to the net.

Very disappointed in his play the last 3 weeks.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
This, and he's too clean. Throw an elbow once a while, make it hurt the defenseman when you take a puck to the net. He gives defenses zero deterrent to stopping him.

Since the first 2 weeks of the season:
-Off the rush, he's been consistently slow and behind the play.
-Off the forecheck, he's been passive...hasn't finished his checks, hasn't really engaged and battled. He reaches in for the puck and if he gets beat, he just seems to give up. If he possesses it, he'll turn his back to the D and pivot back and forth along the wall but never turns to face the net, never drives the net. He'll either move the puck along the perimeter, or possess it until he's double teamed, then cough it up. Zero offense generated.
-No willingness to shoot, no willingness to take the puck to the net.

Very disappointed in his play the last 3 weeks.
The last one is my main problem. He isn't scoring that 2nd Vesey goal cause he gets the puck and resets if that's him. They gotta coach that out of him. He used to be so much more engaged.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
He was on the downside of his career. Wasn't totally done though. The big thing was our playoff hopes ended on his stick vs Philly in the last game of the season. He wasn't totally done though. Had a couple of solid seasons after the Rangers.
“And the Rangers season comes down to Oli Jokinen” still haunts me

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The last one is my main problem. He isn't scoring that 2nd Vesey goal cause he gets the puck and resets if that's him. They gotta coach that out of him. He used to be so much more engaged.
KK has to develop that hunger for the net. In dropin games I see guys who can barely skate but they know they can score if they get the puck in shooting range. KK needs that shot hunger. That if he can see the goalie shoot lol. Lav should tell him to aim for 2 shots a period. He won't get 2 a period often but that goal should be in his mind. Cant score till he shoots.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
is any evedence when if kakko on scoreboard zimbabwedad getting assist with it pp game included. or opposite. having only memory in there tjis never a happened.how strange it may occured. kakko so passive at ice. i dont believe in bad chemistrics.kakko should ask trade. go anaheim or chicago there no competation

sir avgard hockeyprofessor
'zimbabwedad' lmao

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Kakko is a bust. For a 2nd overall pick. We really screwed that one up. I feel like he doesn't do the things in the ice that translate to points and continues to be a perimeter player that doesn't shoot. I don't care what line he is in. He is currently a 31pt per season player. For a second overall pick in his 5th season. He has 3 pts this year. THREE POINTS. f***...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There are 13 columns in the Yahoo NHL boxscore other than shifts and minutes. If I'm our coaches I would show KK this games boxscore and ask him if he noticed anything. He was the only Ranger with a 0 in every single column other than shifts and minutes played. Forget about goals, assists and points. No shots, no hits, no takaways, no blocked shots, no PIM. Nothing. Nada.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad